PDA

View Full Version : Office Chair Potato

johnnyjohnson2043
04-01-2011, 09:43
Here I am with a week to go until my thru and all I've been doing is sitting in front of my computer glued to WB. I think I'm getting out of shape. Man that approach trail is gonna kick my ass. I'd be taking training hikes but here in beautiful, sunny southwest Florida the only hill is the landfill. Maybe I should go for a run...oh, a new post!! That run can wait. :p

Thanks for all the great advice and info!!

Odd Duck

Ender
04-01-2011, 09:49
Just enjoy the computer time while you can, you'll be out in the woods enjoying being away from the computer soon enough. :sun

Have a great hike!

The Cleaner
04-01-2011, 11:04
I've met many hikers from Fla. that have trained a lot but don't have actually walked up real mountians.They said that it's nothing like what they expected.They were thru hikers one day and through hiking soon after....:eek:

Smile
04-01-2011, 11:11
Computer withdrawal may be worse than the first few days of actual hiking :)
Hope it's terrific out there for ya!

ShelterLeopard
04-01-2011, 11:12
GOOD LUCK!!! Soon you'll be getting all the exercise you need, I wouldn't worry about it.

johnnyjohnson2043
04-01-2011, 11:17
Luckily I'm very familiar with hills and mountains. I may be living in Florida now but I grew up in the shadow of some of the world's great mountain ranges (Cascades, Alps, Appalachians). Don't know why I ever moved down here...sigh. Maybe I'll just stay in Maine when I get up there.

Storm
04-01-2011, 18:33
I did most of the approach trail, skipped the steps, a few weeks ago. Recovering from back problems and hadn't done much of anything for four months. I was whipped when I got to the top of Springer but it didn't kill me. And what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

Have fun and just take a few days to get your hiking legs.

P.S I'm 64 years old.:)

johnnyjohnson2043
04-02-2011, 08:57
I did most of the approach trail, skipped the steps, a few weeks ago. Recovering from back problems and hadn't done much of anything for four months. I was whipped when I got to the top of Springer but it didn't kill me. And what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

Have fun and just take a few days to get your hiking legs.

P.S I'm 64 years old.:)

Seeing pics of the steps in Amicalola makes me cringe but I've handled much worse (Koko Head in Hawaii) so I'm sure my stubborness will keep me going. I figured I'd take it easy the first few days anyway. If I can get to the first shelter at Springer on the first day I think that will be fine.

StubbleJumper
04-02-2011, 09:01
Yeah, it's hard to start from zero after spending the winter as a desk-jockey. Most years I gain and lose 15-20 lbs as the hiking season waxes and wanes. I find that the first day of hiking, 6-8 miles is plenty. The second and subsequent days, 10-14 miles is about right. And I need a zero day after five days of hiking.

It gets easier as your legs get stronger and your gut gets smaller. :sun

johnnyjohnson2043
04-02-2011, 09:11
I figured I'd stop in at the Hiawassee area at least to resupply and take a break. Don't know if I'll take a zero day or not, though. We'll see how I feel.

skooch
04-02-2011, 13:08
I'm skipping the approach trail. It doesn't count anyway and it's all uphill on the first day. Sounds like a bad start to this Fla girl. Is this considered bad form? Do the purists all start at Amicalola?

johnnyjohnson2043
04-02-2011, 13:15
When I was in Harpers Ferry the guys at the ATC told me that the approach trail doesn't have white blazes so why bother. On the other hand, I was told by another thru-hiker not to be a wuss, just do it. If I get a mile into it and decide I need to take the rest of the day off I'll just get a room at the Lodge. If I can't handle the approach trail, though, I might as well just turn around. It'll be a good test.

Blissful
04-02-2011, 13:18
You'll be in shape in no time once you're out there. Don't worry about it.

Blissful
04-02-2011, 13:22
I'm skipping the approach trail. It doesn't count anyway and it's all uphill on the first day. Sounds like a bad start to this Fla girl. Is this considered bad form? Do the purists all start at Amicalola?

All I can say is if you can't do that because its uphill on the first day, you'll have a tough time mentally doing the rest of the upcoming uphills on the AT after Springer. Sure isn't flat after that. :) Get into the spirit of your upcoming adventure and do the approach trail. And be glad you are not doing the approach to Katahdin on day one...

Blissful
04-02-2011, 13:23
If I can't handle the approach trail, though, I might as well just turn around. .

Yup. And you may have to consider truly why you are out there.

Just do it. And have fun. :sun

johnnyjohnson2043
04-02-2011, 13:32
At least if I fail the approach trail I can say that I didn't fail at my attempt on the AT because I never started it in the first place. I'm not too worried about it, though. I'm stubborn. If I say I'm gonna do something I'm gonna keep on trying until I've either totally exhausted myself or totally embarrassed myself.

skooch
04-02-2011, 13:49
All I can say is if you can't do that because its uphill on the first day, you'll have a tough time mentally doing the rest of the upcoming uphills on the AT after Springer. Sure isn't flat after that. :) Get into the spirit of your upcoming adventure and do the approach trail. And be glad you are not doing the approach to Katahdin on day one...

So no respect for anyone who chooses not to do the appoach trail? My spirits are high, my determination is sound and my body is strong. :sun

weary
04-02-2011, 13:55
I'm skipping the approach trail. It doesn't count anyway ....
I guess it depends a bit on what and why you are counting. I've never climbed a mountain that didn't count for something.

skooch
04-02-2011, 13:58
It's all good :)

johnnyjohnson2043
04-02-2011, 13:58
Totally up to you. It is such a small distance that I honestly don't think it matters one way or another. For some reason I had it in my mind to do the approach trail so I'm gonna do it.

WingedMonkey
04-02-2011, 14:02
The stairs where not built until 2001 and are great for viewing the falls, you don't need to use them for the approach trail.

10-K
04-02-2011, 14:12

I didn't and wouldn't hike the approach trail - using a twist of the same logic as some of those that do...

There are plenty of hills - why add one more - that isn't even the AT... Why not hike all the side trails in the park too while you're there?

skooch
04-03-2011, 09:03
I have come to like you a lot 10-K. Why do all your posts make so much sense while others feel the need to critique?