PDA

View Full Version : A very tough decision, please help!

Poster
01-17-2005, 17:40
Hello everyone, I'm poster.
I hiked GA-NY in 2000, and although I stopped for lack of funds, I promised myself I would do the whole thing someday. Since then I went to school for Forestry. I just graduated in December, and planned on going to GA to start hiking this March. I've been looking forward to this for years, and now is the perfect time being in between degree's and/or job. I've also managed to raise a substantial sum of money for the cancer society through pledges for my trip. Now comes the predicament. The ATC is looking for a boundary manager to travel around from VA to ME and maintain the corridor boundary. The job would be perfect for my experience and background. I managed to get chosen as one of six to be interviewed for the job. What if I get the offer? Do I just say to hell with hiking. I'll feel pretty foolish telling all the people who pledged me that I'm not hiking because something came up. And I've been looking forward to this hike for sooooooo long. But,a job opportunity like this may not come around again either. Hopefully, I don't get the job and won't be forced to make this decision... but if I do, what do you all think I should do? Sorry for being long winded and kinda sorta off subject.

Poster

Lone Wolf
01-17-2005, 17:42
Do the hike while the urge is strong. You can always get a job.

lobster
01-17-2005, 17:45
Why did you apply for the job if you were planning on going hiking?

lobster
01-17-2005, 17:45
LW,

You still own that Mount Washington Hotel?

Pencil Pusher
01-17-2005, 17:46
Or as Bart Simpson would say, "O contrare, Monfrare." Take the job, the hike will always be there. It's easier to hike than move up the corporate ladder, so to speak.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2005, 17:47
Yeah sure mudbug.

Moose2001
01-17-2005, 17:49
Poster - I always believe that you can't get from GA to ME UNLESS hiking the AT is the MOST important thing to you at that moment. If it's not, there are so many other things that will pull you off the trail. Which is more important to you, doing the AT again or doing the job? Only you can answer that question. Once you do, then I would think it's an easy decision.

Tin Man
01-17-2005, 18:45
The ATC is looking for a boundary manager to travel around from VA to ME and maintain the corridor boundary.
Poster

Hmm. :-? It seems to me that these are not mutually exclusive opportunities. Sounds to me that hiking the AT would be a perfect way to do a detailed study of the corridor boundary. I think you have a strong argument for hiking the trail as an employee. Tell them that by hiking the trail you will gain invaluable insights and you will provide a detailed report at the end of your hike. You can report on the condition of the corridor and the affect hikers, trail runners, the locals, and everyone else is having on the corridor. You can review environmental factors, both man-made and natural, review nearby development activities, and make recommendations for improvements - all from the hiker's viewpoint, which is what it is all about.

Of course this would be mean that your hike would be more than just a hike, you would have to make time to work and explore the trail's surroundings. You would need to plan sufficient zero days to do your homework and report progress. Certainly this would not be an easy undertaking, but if you use your imagination and a lot of planning, perhaps you could be the rare (if not the first) person paid to hike the trail. How cool would that be? :cool:

icemanat95
01-17-2005, 18:58
ATC is looking for a boundary manager to travel around from VA to ME and maintain the corridor boundary. The job would be perfect for my experience and background. I managed to get chosen as one of six to be interviewed for the job. What if I get the offer? Do I just say to hell with hiking. I'll feel pretty foolish telling all the people who pledged me that I'm not hiking because something came up. And I've been looking forward to this hike for sooooooo long. But,a job opportunity like this may not come around again either. Hopefully, I don't get the job and won't be forced to make this decision... but if I do, what do you all think I should do? Sorry for being long winded and kinda sorta off subject.

Poster

By using the AT as a fundraising trip, you stuck yourself in a miserable position. You have taken on an obligation and you need to fulfill it. If you weren't doing it as a fundraiser, I'd say scupper the hike and take the job, I can't think of a better way for a forester to pay back the AT than that job, but you took on that fundraising obligation, so now you have to fulfill it.

chris
01-17-2005, 19:06
This is one of those rare occasions when I agree with Iceman. You're already committed to doing the hike as a fundraiser and ethically, I think, it would be rather dubious to avoid it now, for whatever reason. If this is something you agree with, you should call the ATC people immediately, explain your situation, and remove your name from contention.

Do the hike, enjoy it, and then look for a job. You might not end up at the ATC, but you should be able to find something just as good when you are done with the experience of a lifetime.

01-17-2005, 21:22
How about this for an idea.

Go on the interview. While in the intervfiew explain your plan to hike and let them know it is a prerequisite for getting hired.

If they want you they will hire you. If not then there will be no offer and you are where you are now.

In my days of hiring and firing often people would have start dates out in the future. Some for extended notices, others for vactions.

JMO

Pencil Pusher
01-18-2005, 01:38
Well I see a general 'hike now' attitude here and I don't particularly agree with it's feel-good sense. I disagree that the dude has a moral obligation to complete the trip now that he has obtained financial backing. What he does have a moral obligation to do is to refund his donors if he does not go. I'm sure even the simplest of explanations stating his new employer would evoke empathy from his donors. That they have their money back ends any 'contractual' obligations.

I do like the thought that the dude can spin the hike as benefiting to his potential employer. If he can spin it that way and the employer bites, kudos to the dude. But unless there is time off before the actual start date, I see asking for this time off at the beginning of the employee/employer relationship as a liability the employer would probably frown upon. Work for a while and put some time and dedication in, and then asking for such time off seems more acceptable in my own mind. Regardless of the why, if you can spin it to your advantage, great. But don't foresake the job thinking you must complete this hike now. Well, unless you think the opportunity for such a job would still be there after your hike wherein going on the hike would probably be a good asset.

A-Train
01-18-2005, 01:50
You said "hopefully I won't get the job" which to me seems like you're looking for someone else to make the decision for you, or else you'd rather be hiking. True this job sounds like a good fit for you. If you are in love with it, then go for it. But, the truth is, if you have a good background, chances are you're gonna find something else in the future, and having a thru-hike in your resume' is only going to strengthen your chance to get hired in the future, especially in the forestry field.
Obviously if you don't hike, you've got to refund peoples money. I'm sure people will understand-better you are honest with them, rather than starting the hike and not being into it, and quitting early.

lobster
01-18-2005, 12:37
Why can't he cancel the fund-raising trip? He hasn't received money yet. Who has lost out up to now?

The Cheat
01-18-2005, 14:24
I'm sure a person who has just completed a thru-hike would be a valuable employee, so if they don't have a strict start date why not request a delayed start date (if hired)?

Make sure to mention it in the interview so there will be no misunderstandings.

The Cheat

Macerc
01-18-2005, 15:06
I would recommend section hiking on your time off. There are a lot of full-time government employees who have been able to section hike the A/T among other things....To do a full-time hike when you've got a good job serving others is foolhardy. Put responsibility before pleasure.

c.coyle
01-18-2005, 16:34
Now's the time. Once you have a job, wife, kids, mortgage, you're going to put it off for 20 years, if not forever.

20 years from now, will you be sorrier you didn't take some job, or sorrier that you didn't do the AT?

Knowing what I know now, it's a no brainer.

weary
01-18-2005, 16:53
I'm sure a person who has just completed a thru-hike would be a valuable employee, so if they don't have a strict start date why not request a delayed start date (if hired)? Make sure to mention it in the interview so there will be no misunderstandings. The Cheat

This is close to being the best idea yet. My guess -- actually I'm quite sure -- that this is a new position being filled for the first time as part of ATC's reorganization. I'd tell them point blank that you dearly want this job, but that you are committed to doing the trail first. No. Don't ask for pay. Just offer the thru hike as an extra bonus of knowledge that will make you even more valuable when you finish next summer or fall.

If they question that, tell 'em I suggested it.

Weary

NICKTHEGREEK
01-18-2005, 16:57
Take the job if offered and contribute the majority of your earnings to the cancer fund. Let your donors know the situation, maybe some will be willing to grant match your contribution. Put something into the AT BEFORE you take something out and help a worthy cause. Hope it works out and thanks in advance from a 25 year Cancer Survivor.:clap

Poster
01-18-2005, 17:28
Thanks for all your wonderful insight and wisdom. Just to clear something up... I havn't received donations yet, only pledges (like a penny a mile). So It won't be too big a deal to call that off. I'm definately still going to interview to find out more about this job and whether or not I can postpone the start or something. I'll have to keep you all posted. First interview is on Thursday.

Poster

Lilred
01-18-2005, 19:29
Thanks for all your wonderful insight and wisdom. Just to clear something up... I havn't received donations yet, only pledges (like a penny a mile). So It won't be too big a deal to call that off. I'm definately still going to interview to find out more about this job and whether or not I can postpone the start or something. I'll have to keep you all posted. First interview is on Thursday.

Poster

Best of luck to you.

Poster
01-21-2005, 17:10
Well, the interview couldn't have gone any better. And the job sounds like I would be in heaven doing it. I think if they offer me the job I'm going to take it. I look at it this way... I could thruhike this summer and that would be that. Or I could take this job and be on the trail spring thru fall every year while getting paid. It's kind of a no brainer because this kind of job won't come around again, especially on the trail that is so dear to my heart. And who knows, working for the ATC, my chances of getting a leave of absence in the future to thru hike are waaaaayyy better than any other job. I have no doubt that I will thru hike again, but right now the right decision for me is to take this job. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Next week will be in person interviews down in Boiling Springs. Wish me luck!

Poster

The Cheat
01-21-2005, 17:16

Poster
Good Luck.

Just curious - did you go to Suny-ESF?

Poster
01-21-2005, 20:12
Yes, I'm an ESF alumni twice over. First I went to Ranger School for my associates degree. Then after a year off, got my bachelors there at the main campus in Forest Resource Management. And I probably wouldn't have pursued either if I hadn't hiked the Trail way back when. That's how the trail changed my life. Hopefully the next chapter will include the AT again.

Poster

stickman
01-22-2005, 17:42
Why make this an either/or proposition? First get the job offer. Once they decide thay want you, everything is negotiable, including start date for your new job. Maybe they'll let you take the time to thru before you start, especially if you convince them doing the hike will make you even more valuable as their employee. The worst that can happen is they say no, then you have to make a decision.

Stickman

hacksaw
01-27-2005, 01:48
Hey Poster!

Remember the hike down to Mountain Moma's from the Davenport Gap Shelter in '00?

I hope things work out (or have worked out) for you. If you get the job(lucky stiff!) the hike will come. If you don't get the job, the hike will come. What's the debate? GO FOR IT! And Good Luck!

Hacksaw

DangerPea
01-27-2005, 11:47
Poster - In my opinion, you have the right attitude. As others have said, only you know what is right for you. Clearly the interview provided you more information on which to guage your true feelings & position. I would caution against negotiating a later start date to hike though unless you have no problem with being bound by a hard deadline to finish your hike.

I am sure that many people hike with a hard deadline by which time they must be done or get off. But in my opinion having a full 6 or even 7 months to take all the time you want or need to fulfull your thru hike is optimal. You might finish in 5 or even 4, but do you want to have to?
Point is some what moot, just a thought.

In any case, I wish you the very best of luck. You are a lucky person to have found an occupation in a field you love & for which you have passion. Many never find that and must separate "who they are" from what they do. I wish you satisfaction & the opportunity to fulfill all of your carreer and hiking dreams & goals. I am sure that all will come as the time is right... :o