PDA

View Full Version : Bear Bagging Questions

Pickles&Shakespeare
04-01-2011, 11:16
I don't understand the logistics of bear bagging. I understand the concept and why it is so important for both the safety of hikers and wildlife.

But what are the steps? Do you just wait until all cooking is over to hang your bear bag?

Do you get all of your food out for dinner as well toothbrush for after dinner and then hang your bear bag? Then take it down to place all of those items back in the bag at night? Then in the morning take down the bag again cook breakfast and pack up camp?

Surely you do not take out food, kitchen and scented items and just leave them on the ground (ziplocks, pots, toothpaste etc). That seems counter to the idea of bear bagging.

Please enlighten me.

ShelterLeopard
04-01-2011, 11:19
Depends where you are. For the most part on the AT, I'm more concerned about squirrels and mice.

Raul Perez
04-01-2011, 11:21
I hang when I'm done for the night. I usually set up the bear bag system when I set camp but dont actually hang my items until I'm ready to go to bed (toothbrush, paste, food, food containers).

I also use the PCT method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE

ShelterLeopard
04-01-2011, 11:21
If I'm concerned about bears, I cook, eat, clean up, and put everything scented in the bag and hang it (high, and far away from the trunk of the tree). IF I'm concerned about bears. Like in Georgian Bay, in Canada. Or SNP, maybe. Usually I'm not too worried about it.

johnnyjohnson2043
04-01-2011, 11:43
In Ray Jardine's book 'Beyond Backpacking' he suggests eating dinner before you reach your actual campsite so that when you get there you can just set up your tent and be done with it. The process of cooking actually attracts animals so by cooking away from camp you are leaving some of that smell behind. Not sure how practical this is but I was planning on trying it out and hanging my bag as soon as I got to camp. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

maybe clem
04-01-2011, 11:45
One of the first things I do when setting up camp is find a branch and set up the bear bag line - that's a lot easier in daylight. When I'm done eating and toiletry-ing, I hang the bags, usually just before going to sleep.

Kermitt
04-01-2011, 12:12
That's why I like dehydrat my food, no food smells, dirty dishes & double baged seems to hind food smells.

WingedMonkey
04-01-2011, 12:23
In Ray Jardine's book 'Beyond Backpacking' he suggests eating dinner before you reach your actual campsite so that when you get there you can just set up your tent and be done with it. The process of cooking actually attracts animals so by cooking away from camp you are leaving some of that smell behind. Not sure how practical this is but I was planning on trying it out and hanging my bag as soon as I got to camp. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

I did it in Alaska it made sense in "wilderness" areas.
On the AT even if you don't cook at shelters and campsites, someone else does or has.
It used to be out of courtesy backpackers didn't cook "in" the shelter because of spills and stuff. Now, judging from the stove burns and rings I see, I'd say they cook where ever they feel like it.
Same goes with cleaning pots. Not sure why anyone has anything to dump after cooking, but they do. And where they dump it is where they think they should.
I would say when and where you cook dinner is up to you and your pace/schedule, (when hiking and tenting alone I ofter have dinner after dark) but not much effect on what critters will smell around sites.

Buffalo Skipper
04-01-2011, 12:26
I have no intention of bagging any bears on the AT. Leave No Trace and all... ;)

beakerman
04-01-2011, 14:48
generally I don't recommend bagging bear...it just makes them angry...

as far as hanging a bear bag I use the PCT method. I toss the rope as soon as i get into camp so I can see what I'm doing. Then I run the bags up the rope when I'm done with everythig that needs to be hung. What I hang varies on where I am. Down here in east texas I hang just my food to keep the racoons out of it. In black bear country I might toss my personal hygeine stuff (soap/toothpaste etc) in a separate bag and run it up too. In griz country I don't do deoderant soaps and such but I still bag and hang my toiletries except my hand sanitizer, TP (cheap unscented) and shovel.

Buffalo Skipper
04-01-2011, 14:52
as far as hanging a bear bag I use the PCT method. I toss the rope as soon as i get into camp so I can see what I'm doing. Then I run the bags up the rope when I'm done with everythig that needs to be hung. What I hang varies on where I am. Down here in east texas I hang just my food to keep the racoons out of it. In black bear country I might toss my personal hygeine stuff (soap/toothpaste etc) in a separate bag and run it up too. In griz country I don't do deoderant soaps and such but I still bag and hang my toiletries except my hand sanitizer, TP (cheap unscented) and shovel.

On a serious note, I have heard many people refer to the PCT method of hanging a bear bag, but never an explanation. Is that what you described here?

Amanita
04-01-2011, 15:07
Someone posted a helpful link in another thread as to how the PCT method works. From my understanding it involves using a carribeaner and a twig to hang the bag in a way that pulling on or cutting the rope will not drop the bag. Bears and racoons in a lot of areas have figured out how to get bags by untying/biting the rope from the tree. The PCT method is simpler than counterbalancing (which requires 2 bags).

LDog
04-01-2011, 15:09
On a serious note, I have heard many people refer to the PCT method of hanging a bear bag, but never an explanation. Is that what you described here?

There's bunches of web sites and youtube videos on this. Here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE

Raul Perez
04-01-2011, 15:10

I actually put a link to a youtube video in my post.....:-?

Buffalo Skipper
04-01-2011, 15:42
Thanks for the posts. Sorry Raul, I missed that. :datz

RayBan
04-01-2011, 15:59
Here's a KNOTLESS PCT method that backpackinglight.com demonstrated by video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpR_LEoD5PU&feature=related

I've used this method to hang both heavy and light bags as well as multiple food bags. The method has a number of virtues (see video) among which is the fact that once mastered, you may never again use the "stick"/clove hitch approach method with the possiblilities of entanglement/breakage.

BTW, you may want to consider using Sterling Rope as opposed to parachord, which I found is (a) more than 5X as heavy as a comparable length of Sterling cord and (b) has a tensile strength of about 550 lbs. (depending on the class of parachord), which is completely unnecessary for any foreseeable use on the AT (or most anywhere else when backpacking).

The Sterling comes in a variety of thicknesses. I personally use 1.55 mm which has a 100 lb. test strength, more than adequate for anything I've ever hung (including multpiple heavy food bags).

You can buy different diameters at Moosejaw and elsewhere fairly inexpensively. http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Accessory-Cord-Sterling-Full-Spool_10031014_10208_10000001_-1_

Some vendors allow you to specify your length rather than simply forcing you to buy a large spool containing much more than you need

ShelterLeopard
04-01-2011, 17:04
I have this strange mental image (brought to my mind by b. skipper) of a slightly crazed hiker, crouched behind a tree with a bag in hand, waiting to pounce on an innocent looking bear... Now there's a hiker who didn't get enough protein at the last resupply!

Buffalo Skipper
04-01-2011, 17:21
Then it seems we are even for the day. Thanks ShLep. :D

Miss Janet
04-01-2011, 17:48
My good friend RAZOR, the AT Ridgerunner down here on the soutern end of the trail said I was a bad influence... he also mentioned others like Lone Wolf, Baltimore Jack, that keep food in the tent with them. So the other night I was being a "good influence" and all five of us at a campsite at Slaughter Creek hung our food. We used the PCT method and really followed all the rules... Bear got 3 out of 5 bags that night. Whew, I was glad my food was still in my tent with me and the dog! You know how mad that bear was to only see trash from food bags he had already raided in my bag!!
For two years now the bears in that area are getting really smart about getting food bags. I am not sure what the answer is and I invite any of you down to test your advice and expert bear bagging technique!
Last night the Leave No Trase Rep went up to hang some bags different ways and try to video the bear... I am looking forward to what he found!

skooch
04-03-2011, 09:09
OK I watched the PCT method but don't get the stick part. What kind of a knot are they using to tie off on the tree itself? Can't a bear just scratch at the rope on the tree and the bag fall? Would it be better to sleep w/my food bag and let the hanging bags be a nice bear decoy for me? I'm on the fence on this one.

Big Dawg
04-03-2011, 09:21
My good friend RAZOR, the AT Ridgerunner down here on the soutern end of the trail said I was a bad influence... he also mentioned others like Lone Wolf, Baltimore Jack, that keep food in the tent with them. So the other night I was being a "good influence" and all five of us at a campsite at Slaughter Creek hung our food. We used the PCT method and really followed all the rules... Bear got 3 out of 5 bags that night. Whew, I was glad my food was still in my tent with me and the dog! You know how mad that bear was to only see trash from food bags he had already raided in my bag!!
For two years now the bears in that area are getting really smart about getting food bags. I am not sure what the answer is and I invite any of you down to test your advice and expert bear bagging technique!
Last night the Leave No Trase Rep went up to hang some bags different ways and try to video the bear... I am looking forward to what he found!

sleep w/ your food,,,,,

Tipi Walter
04-03-2011, 14:19

Totally impractical. Why pull out all my stuff a mile before camp, set up the stove, cook, "relax" in repose, then wait for the stove to cool, pack up everything and head out again? After a long day of hiking? Or with frozen hands in the middle of winter? Dinky dau.

I toss the rope as soon as i get into camp so I can see what I'm doing.

This is a good rule to follow. On a winter trip with deep snow I couldn't find a rock to put in my throw bag, so instead had to use spare batteries for weight. Also, do not use Triptease 200lb guyline! I am currently using it, 50 feet of it, for my bear line and, well, with 40-45 lbs of food (for 18 day trips), I can't get the bags higher than about 5 feet. I sure can't pull it up as the triptease binds. I use a full sized carabiner and after dinner I keep a few ziploc food items out for dessert. The carabiner clasps the ziplock for final hanging, so there's no need to get into the food bags.

LoneRidgeRunner
04-03-2011, 14:37
I hang mine first thing on arrival at camp... Have read reports of animals (not always bears) grabbing food bags within 30 feet of someone who was busy doing something else at the time ..like pitching a a tent.. I have never kept my food in my tent ...always hung it and the only animal to ever get a bite of my food was Moi (I think that's French for "me."... Even though a mouse can't take my food away from me while it's in my tent (if it was) I really don't want holes chewed in my tent by a mouse, rat, coon or whetever it's true that bears are very unlikely to break into an occupied tent but rats are just that stupid..

vamelungeon
04-03-2011, 15:56
OK I watched the PCT method but don't get the stick part. What kind of a knot are they using to tie off on the tree itself? Can't a bear just scratch at the rope on the tree and the bag fall? Would it be better to sleep w/my food bag and let the hanging bags be a nice bear decoy for me? I'm on the fence on this one.
It's not tied to the tree. The stick is in the middle of the rope and stops when it gets to the carabiner. The food bag is above that.
I'm in the "sleep with your food" camp but I thought this was a good skill to know.

BradMT
04-03-2011, 17:35
I've bagged bears before. 30-06 is just right.

LoneRidgeRunner
04-03-2011, 18:15
I've bagged bears before. 30-06 is just right.

I have an 06 I used for Deer hunting and I'm sure it would be fine for Black Bears but I wouldn't take it to Kodiak Island or to fight a Polar Bear..

10-K
04-03-2011, 18:38

I keep meaning to try this but dinner is such a ritual for me I almost can't bring myself to do it.

Typically I hike until just before dark. By the time I get my tent up it's usually past twilight and I get in my bag and cook dinner in the vestibule.

I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have dinner to eat....

blitz1
04-03-2011, 18:53
I keep meaning to try this but dinner is such a ritual for me I almost can't bring myself to do it.

Typically I hike until just before dark. By the time I get my tent up it's usually past twilight and I get in my bag and cook dinner in the vestibule.

I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have dinner to eat....

I tried this once (meaning cooking dinner and then continuing my hike), and decided it's a mostly a waste of time. while dinner is cooking I like to get my tent set up etc. But people who write a lot in journals may be able to make good use of the time. The other exception might be if you're going to have a dry camp and sparse water the following day, may be more convenient to cook dinner by a water source, then go on as far as you can. but to each his/her own....

Tinker
04-03-2011, 19:02
I have no intention of bagging any bears on the AT. Leave No Trace and all... ;)
And hanging a bear bag could pretty much throw your back out. :D
(plus, how do you attach the line :confused::rolleyes:)

BradMT
04-03-2011, 20:14
I have an 06 I used for Deer hunting and I'm sure it would be fine for Black Bears but I wouldn't take it to Kodiak Island or to fight a Polar Bear..

The 30-06 is perfectly adequate for Kodiak Island Brown Bears (fish-fed grizzlies). Personally I consider the round to be absolute overkill on whitetails, but I suppose dead is dead. But I agree in general, a bigger round is not a bad idea for Brown Bears. For our Montana Grizzlies, the 30-06 is ideal, as it is for elk.