PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiking With A radio?

mountainboogey
04-01-2011, 16:34
Does anyone have any good radio suggestions? Is it even worth the effort and weight? I have an ipod, but dont really use it. Id rather listen to the radio (npr) or something similar.

general
04-01-2011, 16:37
i use a zune. it does radio as well as mp3 and video. works well.

Ender
04-01-2011, 16:41
For sure worth the weight... radio on the trail can be a blast, especially when you pick up some really local radio stations.

Sadly, I don't have any specific suggestions for you though as to what make/model to get.

johnnyjohnson2043
04-01-2011, 16:47
If you have a smartphone you could just download Pandora. Battery power is the only thing I'd worry about in that case.

C Seeker
04-01-2011, 16:53
Can I also add a question to this post to...mp3 player speakers? Any good sugestions?

I would like to carry my mp3 player to listen to my cd's and the radio. But would also like to share the music with my hiking partner so we both don't have to carry 2 mps players and head phones.

general
04-01-2011, 17:41
phillips amplified speakers. they take 4AA batteries and are plenty loud enough www.amazon.com/Philips-Portable-Speaker-System-1503/dp/B0047Q0G70 (http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Portable-Speaker-System-1503/dp/B0047Q0G70)

maybe clem
04-01-2011, 19:37
I sometimes hike with this AM/FM radio, 2.1 oz.:

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-SR-2Y-Ultra-Pocket-Yellow/dp/B00006I5S6/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IFCHU3VND2G32&colid=1VK843TPSW1W6

This MP3 player weighs just 1 ounce:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B000W09ZTK/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I31F155Q9X80ZF&colid=1VK843TPSW1W6

Dances with Mice
04-01-2011, 19:39
phillips amplified speakers. they take 4AA batteries and are plenty loud enough www.amazon.com/Philips-Portable-Speaker-System-1503/dp/B0047Q0G70 (http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Portable-Speaker-System-1503/dp/B0047Q0G70)Thanks for that. I wouldn't carry them hiking but there's been many times I wished I had a decent (but cheap) set of speakers for my ipod.

The Cleaner
04-01-2011, 20:52
The Sangean DT400W is an AM/FM with a weather radio too.Only weighs 4-5 ozs.It has a nice small speaker or you can use supplied ear buds.I found that other hikers enjoyed getting a real time weather update.The speaker is handy to listen to some NPR news with the evening meal.It costs about 40-50$ but its great when I'm alone.I think Tipi Walter has one too....;)

BigHodag
04-01-2011, 23:18
I bought an unlocked LG Incite smartphone which includes an FM radio. Earbuds are the antennae and the FM app will NOT work without buds or headset plugged in. I'm not planning on music, but to get weather updates. I find weather information sorely lacking along the trail. The LG Incite also has wifi and I have bookmarked several weather sites for quick access when I get a public wifi signal.

Since all mobile phones are essentially radios, I can't understand why FM and weather alert capabilities aren't built in to all mobile phones. Seems a no brainer.

DapperD
04-01-2011, 23:55
Does anyone have any good radio suggestions? Is it even worth the effort and weight? I have an ipod, but dont really use it. Id rather listen to the radio (npr) or something similar.I have a tiny little radio that takes a single battery, has a wire with earpiece, and only weighs like a couple of ounces. I figured it would be great to use for weather alerts/emergencies. Think I found it at a dollar store:D

FarmRookie 2015
04-02-2011, 09:05
I hope I'n not subject to having to listen to someone's radio on the trail.:eek: Most folks go there to get away from noise. JMHO

The Cleaner
04-02-2011, 09:19
I hope I'n not subject to having to listen to someone's radio on the trail.:eek: Most folks go there to get away from noise. JMHO If you stay at a shelter, there may be a whole bunch of things going on you are trying to "get away" from:eek:.....

JaxHiker
04-02-2011, 09:47
If you have a smartphone you could just download Pandora. Battery power is the only thing I'd worry about in that case.

This assumes you have an internet connection over which to stream. You'd be better off having music downloaded to the phone instead. But I do love Pandora.

johnnyjohnson2043
04-02-2011, 09:52
This assumes you have an internet connection over which to stream. You'd be better off having music downloaded to the phone instead. But I do love Pandora.

I thought of that right after I posted it. Oh well. Pandora is the bomb, though.

mountainboogey
04-02-2011, 09:54
I do agree with RARMrookie...I deff dont want to hear someone elses radio, but I was more interested in weather/news. I have an uber small sandisk, but it just has FM not AM...not sure how much FM signal you can get though? how does the weather thing work anyway?

johnnyjohnson2043
04-02-2011, 10:09
Diddo on the not wanting to hear someone elses music. I'm very picky about my music (rock, rock, rock, and more rock). I remember reading a story about a guy who set up camp in a very remote area only to hear obvious music echoing across the landscape. Noise can travel a long distance in the right conditions. Enough about that, though. I'm sure you'll be courteous toward the other hikers. What about those wind up weather radios. Are they too heavy or too much of a pain in the ass?

pcasebere
04-02-2011, 10:25
I've been looking at this little guy for a while now.. http://www.amazon.com/FR160B-Microlink-Self-Powered-Weather-Flashlight/dp/B001QTXKB0/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I31HWJF4JONBN3&colid=38S2APEKQTMA7 ..had something similar, though larger and heavier when living in a mud hut, thought the crank broke; the ability to listen to the radio, get weather updates, have a flashlight, charge up a cell phone, and not have to worry about batteries was very nice.

The Cleaner
04-02-2011, 10:39
I do agree with RARMrookie...I deff dont want to hear someone elses radio, but I was more interested in weather/news. I have an uber small sandisk, but it just has FM not AM...not sure how much FM signal you can get though? how does the weather thing work anyway? On the Sangean radio it has the NOAA weather feature which gets reports from several local offical sites.It can be set to sound an alarm if conditions turn nasty.This is helpful if the sun is out where you are and some bad weather is on it's way...

10-K
04-02-2011, 10:55
I think Tipi Walter has one too....;)

I think he has the 2 lb winterized model.... :)

WingedMonkey
04-02-2011, 11:45
I use a Sony Walkman SRFM37W. Save the included headphones for biking and use ear buds for hiking. About $30 at Wally World. AM, FM, Weather. They use to pick up local TV but that stopped after TV signals went digital.

CrumbSnatcher
04-02-2011, 11:58
in 98 & 99 i used a manual(non digital) sony walkman am/fm on the trail
it was small and used 1 double A
alot of the digitals would skip right past stations you could pick up with the manual one. i remember one time laying in my tent, i picked up around 40 different channels/stations. Now i use a mp3 player for work & the gym thats chargable
but use a mp3 player thats run by 1 double A when im hiking, so i don't have to go to a library or hostel to recharge

Different Socks
04-02-2011, 13:00
On my 1992 thru, i carried a radio that was about 1/2 inch thick and the size of a credit card. I was chastised for having it, but when we got hit by a blizzard in the Smokies and I was the only one that knew it was coming, suddenly Walkmans and little radios started popping up everywhere.

Freedom Walker
04-02-2011, 13:35
My MP3 player has an FM radio so I have the options of listening to my own music selections or picking up a local radio station should there be one available. My biggest problem with this unit is that I will need a computer to recharge the battery. This would not be a problem on most section hikes because battery has around 25 hours of playing life. However it is paid for, so I will keep it for now.

Mountain Wildman
04-02-2011, 13:58
I've been looking at this little guy for a while now.. http://www.amazon.com/FR160B-Microlink-Self-Powered-Weather-Flashlight/dp/B001QTXKB0/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I31HWJF4JONBN3&colid=38S2APEKQTMA7 ..had something similar, though larger and heavier when living in a mud hut, thought the crank broke; the ability to listen to the radio, get weather updates, have a flashlight, charge up a cell phone, and not have to worry about batteries was very nice.

I had this Microlink FR160 radio and sold it. I took it on a couple trips, It weighs over a half pound and the dynamo crank does work but you would have to do a lot of work, After the charge was depleted, I never got it to play for more than 5 minutes and that was with a fair amount of cranking. The only real way to get a good charge outdoors is through the solar cell but it needs several hours of direct sunlight. On the trail, It would be virtually useless dead weight unless you have it exposed to constant sunlight.
I replaced it with this:
Sangean DT-200X FM-Stereo AM/FM Digital Tuning Personal Receiver

Uses AA batteries, Gets excellent reception, Has a clock, Speaker, Ear buds, Belt clip, Antenna, Auto shut-off and weighs 6 ounces.
If you love music like I do, It's worth the weight!!:sun http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EupqfC%2BcL.jpg

10-K
04-02-2011, 14:00
Uses AA batteries, Gets excellent reception, Has a clock, Speaker, Ear buds, Belt clip, Antenna, Auto shut-off and weighs 6 ounces.
If you love music like I do, It's worth the weight!!:sun

What they need to do is put all this stuff on a SPOT...... :)

<I need to go do something - you know it's a slow day when you sit around and make wisecracks on WB.......>

Grampie
04-02-2011, 16:53
I have a tiny little radio that takes a single battery, has a wire with earpiece, and only weighs like a couple of ounces. I figured it would be great to use for weather alerts/emergencies. Think I found it at a dollar store:D

That's what I used on my 2001 thru. I brought it at Radio Shack for around $10. Glad I had it on 9-11.

jlo
04-02-2011, 19:15
I have a Sansa MP3 player that also has FM radio. Got it at Target. Don't know what it weighs, but is less than a square inch and so can't be much :)

tf bear
04-02-2011, 19:35
Eton FR150. Solar and crank plus you can charge via USB if availble. Listening to base ball games at night is a wonderful way to pass the time. Having the Weather Band is invaluble as well. Try and get that on your I pod. Extra flash light nice to have too. Oh and you can charge a cell phone with it if need be. I, leave the 8 oz of water behind to cary this baby.

Nearly Normal
04-02-2011, 20:28
Breaker 1-9 we got a bear in the grass taking pictures.

88BlueGT
04-05-2011, 12:01
You can stream Pandora on 3g though, so its not that big of a deal. I would say go for the smart phone if you can. Phone, GPS, journal (if you really wanted to), log, maps, radio, phone calls, the whole 9. Worth it.

WI_Mike
04-05-2011, 12:37
I recommend this one (http://xmradioboombox.com/images/boombox.jpg)

But great discussion. Certainly seems like a good idea to have one. I wonder if even at the dollar store you could find a small portable radio these days.