PDA

View Full Version : 1st AT Hike

redefined
04-01-2011, 18:14
HI. I plan on doing a two night three day hike at the end of may on the AT. This will be my first hike on the AT and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good hike????? Thank you much!!!

Freedom Walker
04-01-2011, 19:06
How far to you want to drive? If you are coming from Wake forest, its seems the closest place of the AT may in SNP.

brian039
04-01-2011, 19:12
SNP is some of the worst hiking on the AT. You're right by Skyline Drive the entire time and a lot of the trail is a briar tunnel and really rocky. I'd go to either the Roan or Grayson Highlands area, the Smokies, or include a section that would take you over Max Patch or Big Bald. Epic hiking!!!

Blissful
04-01-2011, 19:52
SNP is some of the worst hiking on the AT. You're right by Skyline Drive the entire time and a lot of the trail is a briar tunnel and really rocky.

HUh?

Is this the AT were talking about in Shenandoah? True it does go by the Skyline Drive at times (certainly not the entire time) but in no way is it a briar tunnel (the PATC does a great job of maintaining it; its the crown jewel for them) or rocky at all (can you really compare it to parts like PA? - you kidding?)!

Though the best times to do SNP is in the fall or spring.

brian039
04-01-2011, 21:41
Last year the Southern 40ish miles was attrocious with undergrowth when I went through in late May. Briars, Blackberry thickets, and shin deep grass galore. I agree the PATC is the best when it comes to trail maintenance but maybe they had neglected this section last year and that's all I have to base my opinion on. I thought the trail through SNP was the rockiest at that point of my thru. Now when I got to Front Royal and points north it brought a whole new meaning to the word "rocky" but I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of someone who is doing their first section on the AT. And I can't think of any section on the AT that crosses a paved road more frequently than SNP.

In any case, I'd hate for someone who lives so close to truly grand hiking destinations on the AT to pick SNP as their debut hike. There are some real nice trails in SNP but not on the AT.

Joey C
04-01-2011, 21:48
Can't figure why I like hiking the AT through SNP so much. I've taken 100's of photos of this beautiful section, and enjoyed it immensely. I've meet some awesome folks through there, and have always, always had a great time.

Actually, I can't think of a section of the AT that I didn't enjoy. All in perspective I guess. I was just glad to be out hiking.

Fake Outrage
04-01-2011, 21:51
include a section that would take you over Max Patch or Big Bald. Epic hiking!!!

He knows of what he speaks. Did Sams Gap to Big Bald and back last year in a day. Good times. I'm from Raleigh N.C. was in Erwin TN, hiked, and back in Raleigh in a long weekend.

Blackbird
04-02-2011, 07:59
SNP isn't all that exciting.

Absolutely go to Grayson Highlands.

jigsaw
04-02-2011, 07:59
i have to agree with brian,not that the trail was covered in briars and brush but i just did'nt like crossing skyline drive what like 30 times.i have'nt covered all the trail yet but i really enjoyed the first part of north carolina deep gap to fontana dam

jigsaw
04-02-2011, 08:03
SNP isn't all that exciting.

Absolutely go to Grayson Highlands.

im heading to grayson in 2 weeks might be my new favorite i'll let you know

booney_1
04-02-2011, 10:19
I'm in Greensboro...Grayson Highlands is the closest and a great spot. There is a nice loop you can do on top so you don't have to mess with shuttles. The views are awesome and the wild ponies are interesting.

You could also go to Damascus and get a shuttle to take you north ( 3 hiking days worth), and then hike back. You can do a similar deal with Hot Springs, which is North of Asheville.

Grayson Highlands would be my first recommendation unless you wanted the experience of hiking to a destination. It's a favorite destination of people around here.

Montana Mac
04-02-2011, 11:13
Another vote for Grayson.

My plans as of right now are to start on 4/18 at MT Rogers HQ and hike back to Damascus.