PDA

View Full Version : My Water System

STICK
04-02-2011, 01:06
Isn't it awesome to figure out a complete system that works for you? Not just individual pieces of gear, but complete systems. I can happily say that I have come to figure out a few of my systems over the last few months, and while I am not saying that it will be my system forever, it is something that I am happy with now. And what I mean by that is it is very functional for me as well as very lightweight (IMO).

So, what do I use? I have come to use Aqua Mira Drops, Gatorade Bottles and a 1 or 2 liter SoftBottle. (Which by the way, these 3 things weigh in at around 6 oz.)

I must give my pack, the ULA Circuit, a lot of credit for making this system work for me, so quite sensibly, just as each individual part of my water system makes up a bigger system, my water system is still definitely part of a larger system. And I am still having a blast figuring out how to make it work best for me!

So, naturally, I have a post on my blog which details this system a little more and I explain why it works for me. If you are interested, it can be read here:

My Water System (http://sticksblog.com/2011/04/01/my-water-system/)

So, what is your system, and why?

Fiddleback
04-02-2011, 10:38
I carry a Bota Outback filter bottle for use on the trail and rely on chemical treatment (chlorine dioxide, e.g., Klear Water) in camp. The Bota gives me instantly clean water anytime I want it...dip, squeeze, drink...no waiting.:) In camp, where I use a higher quantity of water for meal prep, cleanup, etc., I start the chemical treatment in a Platypus bottle and spend the wait time setting up camp or other stuff.

At just under 8oz, it's an ounce or two heavier than I could do otherwise but I get a kick out of not waiting for chemical treatment to kick in or getting a pump filter out when I'm hoofin' down the trail.:D

FB

STICK
04-02-2011, 10:50
Nice, I haven't seen those. A friend of mine uses the Katadyn Exstream bottle (I think that is the one), which is essentially the same thing. I seriously debated getting one of these for a while but the weight (7 oz) and the carrying capacity (20 fl oz) put me off.

mybackpackingblog
04-02-2011, 10:54
Hey Stick...I have a brand new Katadyn VARIO Microfilter for sell if u want it! Lol...no...I think I will keep it...but still gonna try some of ir methods...I have so much to learn...

STICK
04-02-2011, 11:38
See, you have me really thinking about selling my Hiker Pro filter...

ScottP
04-02-2011, 12:00
My water system varies wildly depending on where I go hiking.

STICK
04-02-2011, 12:09
Scott,

That's one reason I like this system (for me). By simply adding one extra Gatorade bottle I can carry up to 4 liters of water at once. And if I need more, I can add in my 1L Nalgene collapsible cantene and carry up to 5 liters.

mybackpackingblog
04-02-2011, 12:17
Yeah...my Katadyn VARIO weighs over a pound..big turn off for me now...u did this to me Stick...u and all ur ultralight talk...

10-K
04-02-2011, 13:13
My water system weighs nothing.

Plus, if I get sick I lose that weight too!

Tenderheart
04-02-2011, 13:27

I'm sure you're partially kidding, but I swear it is almost better to carry Flagyl and just not treat the water. The prevention is almost more trouble than the cure. I have had giardia twice, so I do know something about it.

litefoot

10-K
04-02-2011, 13:34
I'm sure you're partially kidding, but I swear it is almost better to carry Flagyl and just not treat the water. The prevention is almost more trouble than the cure. I have had giardia twice, so I do know something about it.

litefoot

I was only kidding about losing the weight. I haven't treated any water in a long time.

Flagyl is probably a good idea, never thought about carrying it really.

Tenderheart
04-02-2011, 13:38
Yeah, he really didn't want to, but my doctor wrote me a prescription for flagyl, which will be in my med kit this time.

litefoot

Singletrack
04-02-2011, 14:52
Isn't it awesome to figure out a complete system that works for you? Not just individual pieces of gear, but complete systems. I can happily say that I have come to figure out a few of my systems over the last few months, and while I am not saying that it will be my system forever, it is something that I am happy with now. And what I mean by that is it is very functional for me as well as very lightweight (IMO).

So, what do I use? I have come to use Aqua Mira Drops, Gatorade Bottles and a 1 or 2 liter SoftBottle. (Which by the way, these 3 things weigh in at around 6 oz.)

I must give my pack, the ULA Circuit, a lot of credit for making this system work for me, so quite sensibly, just as each individual part of my water system makes up a bigger system, my water system is still definitely part of a larger system. And I am still having a blast figuring out how to make it work best for me!

So, naturally, I have a post on my blog which details this system a little more and I explain why it works for me. If you are interested, it can be read here:

My Water System (http://sticksblog.com/2011/04/01/my-water-system/)

So, what is your system, and why?

I carry, a 20 ounce soda bottle, a 20 ounce gator aid bottle, and a 2 liter Platypus. While on the trail I drink out of the soda bottle, with the gator aid bottle refilling the soda bottle. The 2 Liter Platypus is used to gather water in camp. Have not purified water in more than 10 years. Never been sick, at least not yet.

STICK
04-02-2011, 16:33
I carry, a 20 ounce soda bottle, a 20 ounce gator aid bottle, and a 2 liter Platypus. While on the trail I drink out of the soda bottle, with the gator aid bottle refilling the soda bottle. The 2 Liter Platypus is used to gather water in camp. Have not purified water in more than 10 years. Never been sick, at least not yet.

One reason that I like the 32 oz bottles is because it fits great in the bottle holsters on the Circuit. I also like the larger volume at once. Just curious though, if you are only using the Gatorade bottle to refill the soda bottle, why not just cut out the soda bottle and carry the Gatorade bottle?

As for the never treating water, well, I must say that I have been tempted not too, but I am just too afraid not too. Which is another reason I looked for something a little simpler than my filter and ended up with the Aqua Mira.

Did you filter any water on your thru?

ScottP
04-02-2011, 17:24
aqua mira doesn't even kill large giardia cysts. not sure why it's even worth using.

Singletrack
04-02-2011, 17:43
One reason that I like the 32 oz bottles is because it fits great in the bottle holsters on the Circuit. I also like the larger volume at once. Just curious though, if you are only using the Gatorade bottle to refill the soda bottle, why not just cut out the soda bottle and carry the Gatorade bottle?

As for the never treating water, well, I must say that I have been tempted not too, but I am just too afraid not too. Which is another reason I looked for something a little simpler than my filter and ended up with the Aqua Mira.

Did you filter any water on your thru?

I use the 20 ounce gator aid bottle to dip water out of springs and creeks, and also it's about the right size to mix the gator aid packs with water. The 20 ounce water bottle has a Chums bottle holder, and small caribiner attached to it. I attach the caribiner to the down strap on my pack for easy access. On the Circuit, I have a hard time getting a tall 1 liter out of the side pocket. I can do it, but I am afraid I will end up with a shoulder injury.
I also, do not like to haul more that 40 ounces of water at one time, unless the springs and creeks dry up.
On the Northern section of the AT, I used Iodine. Makes a mess of a Platypus. The Southern section I did not use any purification.
I have hiked 5 times from Springer to Damascus, never used any purification. I was raised on a farm, and have been drinking out of creeks, and well water all my life. I do not know why I have never been sick. Hopefully... that day want come.

STICK
04-02-2011, 18:32
I have found that I don't like trying to reach for bottles in my packs side pockets either, no matter which pack it is, my arm just doesn't bend like that comfortably. This is why I love the bottle holsters on the Circuit's shoulder straps so much though, very easy access!

10-K
04-02-2011, 22:40
I have found that I don't like trying to reach for bottles in my packs side pockets either, no matter which pack it is, my arm just doesn't bend like that comfortably. This is why I love the bottle holsters on the Circuit's shoulder straps so much though, very easy access!

My Gossamer Gear Murmur pack is the only pack I own that I can comfortably get a water bottle in and out of without taking off the pack.

mkmangold
04-03-2011, 00:10

An easy way to stay on the safe side, if you can get enough sunlight, is SODIS, or solar disinfection. Wiki it.

Wags
04-03-2011, 10:54
Stick, have you explored the steripen? I use one and like it a lot. weight is not bad...

STICK
04-03-2011, 11:21
Wags,

Not trying to discredit yours, but I actually have no desire to use a Steripen. I have hiked with a buddy that used one and he seemed to like it fine. However, I have read lots of stories of the units either failing or the batteries simply not lasting. So, this means I would still be carrying a chemical backup. I am quite sure that they are all not this way, but I am really not interested in having to keep up with batteries and hoping that it will come on when I need it to. To me that just seems like extra weight as well as concern. I like just carrying the back up to use primarily and knowing that it is fool proof, easy to use and should not fail (unless I run out...)

The Steripen has its masses, so I am sure it must work, but I don't want to take the chance.

pcasebere
04-03-2011, 11:45
aqua mira doesn't even kill large giardia cysts. not sure why it's even worth using.

Oh yeah? .

echoes
04-05-2011, 02:54
I have come to use Aqua Mira Drops, Gatorade Bottles and a 1 or 2 liter SoftBottle. (Which by the way, these 3 things weigh in at around 6 oz.)
My system is almost identical. I use Aqua Mira and carry two 1L Gatorade bottles as well as a 3L Nalgene collapsible canteen which I rarely use but take just in case I need to carry extra water or for camping.

pcasebere
04-05-2011, 07:10
I carry an Aquamira Frontier Pro, Aquamira Water Treatment Drops, two 1L tonic water bottles, and a 1L Play-like bag to use with the Aquamira Frontier Pro. The filter is an extra precaution which I will drop before too long since it has no ability to backflush, and has a limited life expectancy of about 200L.. depending on turbidity of water.

BJStuart
04-05-2011, 13:29

litefoot

I had Giardia in Nepal; there they use Tiniba which is only one tablet a day for three days. Worked like a charm! In the US it seems to be called Tindamax.

I still filter most water, but I do mostly shorter hikes.