PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive towns? Best locations for mail drops?

travisap
04-02-2011, 09:17
I've been diligently searching and could not find any info on where the most expensive towns are. Is there a link to a thread or article somewhere?

Also, I don't intend to rely on mail drops but I would like to have 10-15 mail drops to save some money on the more expensive sections of the A.T.

I have seen the list of Post Office Locations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=postoffices) along the trail but I wasn't sure which ones would be best to mail food and supplies to.

stonedflea
04-02-2011, 10:11
this is a good question. i can't offer any help, but i hope you get many valid responses. :) i'd take a stab and guess that gatlingurg would be a pretty expensive town, but it's not right on the trail so you could bypass it. i think i've heard monson is pretty expensive as well. i'll find out soon enough, i reckon. :)

ScottP
04-02-2011, 11:50
Hapers Ferry and most of New England

greenmtnboy
04-02-2011, 12:03
The most expense will be incurred when paying a premium for services, most grocery stores, department stores and outfitters run about the same price with some exceptions. Motels and lodging prices can vary greatly, thanks for the Thru-Hikers Companion for helping hikers economize.

Jeff
04-02-2011, 14:20
I agree that the further north you go things get more expensive. This is especially true regarding motels and restaurants.

If you are shopping at a good size grocery store, I don't think one town is going to be more expensive than another.

10-K
04-02-2011, 14:27
I agree that the further north you go things get more expensive. This is especially true regarding motels and restaurants.

If you are shopping at a good size grocery store, I don't think one town is going to be more expensive than another.

I spent almost $500 in 2 days in MC Mr. Jeff... :)

That does include a new pair of shoes though...

(and I enjoyed every penny of it...)

Jeff
04-02-2011, 14:37
We thank you for your contribution to our local economy. I hope you are making plans to return. :sun

Tenderheart
04-02-2011, 19:12
Definitely the north is more expensive. I paid $84.00, thru hiker rate, for a room in Salisbury, CT and had to fix the power cord on the TV myself. It's funny. I could stay out forever at first, but by the end, I was literally hiking from town to town. I just had to find a room, shower, and a good meal. Seems like it would have been the other way around.

litefoot 2000

Blissful
04-02-2011, 20:37
Maybe NY as you have mostly convenience stores and pricey, but the delis there are awesome and worth the walk off trail.

Other possible drops - NOC, possibly Glasgow or Buena Vista, Harpers Ferry, Port Clinton, DWG, Glencliff, AMC Center at Pinkam Notch (to reduce weight in the Whites), Caratunk ME
Actually New England has some rather big grocery stores in North Adams, Manchester Center, Hanover, Lincoln (need a hitch) Gorham
I did drop in Monson but there is a fairly good store there with a shopkeeper eager to please thru hikers

Jim Adams
04-02-2011, 23:28
on both of my thrus the most expensive towns were in Conn.

geek

Hikemor
04-04-2011, 20:29
Mail drops are best used for convenience or for hard-to-find or personal items. Do not count on saving money by using mail drops for resupply versus buying in town along the way.

Lone Wolf
04-04-2011, 20:36
this is a good question. i can't offer any help, but i hope you get many valid responses. :) i'd take a stab and guess that gatlingurg would be a pretty expensive town, but it's not right on the trail so you could bypass it. i think i've heard monson is pretty expensive as well. i'll find out soon enough, i reckon. :)

gatlinburg is cheap

G-WALK
04-04-2011, 20:46
Kent CT..................

4shot
04-05-2011, 08:02
most hikers bypassed Kent but I found it to be one of the friendliest places along the way...had to go there to replace my boots. Locals at the bakery/coffee shop offered to drive me to Milford (I think) if the small outfitter there didn't have what I needed. mayor of the town stopped and told me where to find PO, laundry, groceries, etc. There was a bed & breakfast just out of town that had a hiker rate of $75(and a shuttle) which was an excellent price, especially up north.Great place with friendly people!!!

jbwood5
04-05-2011, 08:24
Kent is kind of a nice place but expensive if you make it that way. I was low on money when I passed through there so I just got a few minimal supplies from the grocery and grabbbed a pre-made sub from the IGA (and a soda from the cooler) for about $6.50. That was my in-town meal except I had to get an ice cream cone on the way out. I could have easily dropped $25 or more for a sit-down meal in a restaurant. There is a lot of green space and benches to take a break and eat your sandwich.

Driver8
04-05-2011, 10:49
Little-known secret in NW Connecticut is that Canaan, a blue collar town, is just four miles east of the trail on Rt. 44. Salisbury has the advantage of being right on trail, but Canaan has a big Stop and Shop in town and a Subway on the way. Stay away from the chinese rest next to the Subway, sorry to say. I love good chinese food - I'd be happy to tell you if it were, and it's not AYCE. The little diner in the middle of town is mediocre. But you can't miss for resupply with Stop and Shop, and you know what you're getting with Subway (and with the McDonald's near the grocery).

travisap
04-05-2011, 11:04
I'm already getting hungry reading all of your insightful help about drops and inexpensive towns... I can only hope to not eat away all of my finances before the trip is over.

Panzer1
04-05-2011, 11:19
the thing I like the most about hiking is going into town...

Panzer

10-K
04-05-2011, 11:37
the thing I like the most about hiking is going into town...

Panzer

Not sure if you're joking or not but I look forward to the next stop.

I don't hike with the sole objective of getting to the next town but I also don't think, "Dang, another town...."...

Ender
04-05-2011, 11:40
I'd say things get more expensive until you hit CT, with Kent, CT being the most expensive trail town, and then start to get less expensive again. By Maine, I found things to be really cheap again.