PDA

View Full Version : Mileage per day

mountainboogey
04-02-2011, 10:04
Im just curiois what kind of daily mileage people are doing on a NOBO. Im trying to plan things for next year starting in March. Im a marathon runner and in pretty good shape, not sure if that helps. Im also anticipating a full pack weight of + 30lbs and traveling with a partner. Am I crazy to think about 20-30mi day average? Im thinking less miles per day south of Damascus and North of Greylock, but we'd be able to cruise through the mid section....

dragoro
04-02-2011, 10:13
Start at 10 - 13 but move to around 15 - 17 soon. Least that's what the thru hikers I met did. No way I could do that though. I decided to erection hike after I saw that.

dragoro
04-02-2011, 10:14
Brrr section hike, stupid auto correct.

Rocket Jones
04-02-2011, 10:24
Brrr section hike, stupid auto correct.

ROFLMAO that's funny

Hikes in Rain
04-02-2011, 10:26
Good advice. GREAT delivery!

markmack
04-02-2011, 10:37
im going to try this erection hiking thing, this is the first i heard of it. lol

brian039
04-02-2011, 10:37
You could do 20 mile days to start with but you'd probably end up hating yourself for it. 10-15 would be pretty reasonable to start with. Southern VA is pretty easy and you can consistently do 20-30 mpd until you get to Pearisburg then it's pretty tough up until you get to SNP. Maryland through New Jersey is a cake walk and you can really do some big miles if you want to but it gets tough again in New York. Connecticut through Vermont didn't seem all that tough to me but when you hit the Whites your mileage should drop considerably all the way through the Mahoosuc Range in Maine.

I wasn't a marathon runner before I started my thru but I consistently ran 4-6 miles every day for years prior. Conditioning-wise it doesn't really help but the fact that you are probably slim due to being a runner will definitely be an advantage.

10-K
04-02-2011, 10:41
You will find out when you start hiking.

As a long distance runner you already have an understanding of "maximum pace to avoid injury", something most hikers do not understand.*

It's pretty common to overdo it.

I was at Hemlock Hollow hostel yesterday, just 15 miles north of Hot Springs and they were telling me they're already taking people to the doctor/hospital, bus station and airport due to injuries.

And, something that gets almost no airtime - some folks creep along when they could easily go faster - the better safe than sorry crowd.

Being tuned into your body as a runner is a huge advantage for hiking.

* Of course there are lot of injured runners who overdo it too.... Not saying being a runner puts a magic shield around you)

10-K
04-02-2011, 10:43
im going to try this erection hiking thing, this is the first i heard of it. lol

Do you have to call the doctor if your hike lasts over 4 hours?

johnnyjohnson2043
04-02-2011, 10:51
Do you have to call the doctor if your hike lasts over 4 hours?

ROFLMAO!! Other side effects might include sore feet and blisters.

Montana Mac
04-02-2011, 11:04
If you read some trail journals it will give you an idea of mileage hikers are doing.

Here is a link to Trail Journals
http://www.trailjournals.com/index.cfm

I was out for 114 days, including 5 zeros, and I averaged 15.5 mpd. I had to get of in NH due to a chipped bone in my foot so injuries can and do happen.

LDog
04-02-2011, 11:07
and traveling with a partner.

What condition is your partner in? Course, if you want to leave her behind, she can hike with us :D

Miner
04-02-2011, 13:39
Well a friend of mine from the PCT is hiking the AT this year. He started out doing the sort of mileage one normally sees on the PCT after they get their trail legs, mid to high 20's. He is showing no signs of slowing down after 2 weeks. But it seems most start off doing under 15miles in the beginning. So it depends on how your body likes climbing steep trails day after day. Try a few shakedown trips ahead of time in tought terrain to get a feel for how your body will handle it. But I suspect that it will be your partner that will be determining your daily mileage.

Tenderheart
04-02-2011, 13:51
Im just curiois what kind of daily mileage people are doing on a NOBO. Im trying to plan things for next year starting in March. Im a marathon runner and in pretty good shape, not sure if that helps. Im also anticipating a full pack weight of + 30lbs and traveling with a partner. Am I crazy to think about 20-30mi day average? Im thinking less miles per day south of Damascus and North of Greylock, but we'd be able to cruise through the mid section....

I, too, was a marathon runner, and you better know it helps. My pack weight was mid-20's. I averaged 17 mpd in 2000, NOBO. An average daily mileage of 20-30 would be very difficult and not very fun. With my daily mileage, it always seemed that I was pushing on harder and faster than almost any one else, even the young guys. I was totally exhausted at the northern end, as we all were.

litefoot

10-K
04-02-2011, 13:54
I, too, was a marathon runner, and you better know it helps. My pack weight was mid-20's. I averaged 17 mpd in 2000, NOBO. An average daily mileage of 20-30 would be very difficult and not very fun. With my daily mileage, it always seemed that I was pushing on harder and faster than almost any one else, even the young guys. I was totally exhausted at the northern end, as we all were.

litefoot

I only have 1 rule: No dinner if I didn't get in 20...

:)

ScottP
04-02-2011, 14:31
I was doing 20s the first week I hit the trail for my first thru-hike, as was my then girlfriend. Very reasonable if you're an athlete.

Runners, IMO, tend to be very injury prone hikers for whatever reason.

Grampie
04-02-2011, 16:49
It's simple. Divide the amount of days you have to hike by 2180 and that's the daily mileage you should average. Keep that figure in mind and when you build up excess miles you can take a "0" day. Just don't forget it's a thru-hike and not a marathon.
I hiked in 2000 with a guy, Marathon Man, was his trail name. He was 50 years old and had been a competive runner for quite a number of years. He was in great shape. He made it to Neels Gap and went home. It took him 4 says and he was upset that he had planed to do it in 2 days but couldn't.

Tenderheart
04-02-2011, 18:12
The OP did say average mileage. You must factor in days that you may only hike 3 or 4 miles into town, or days that you don't hike at all, God forbid. High averages are very hard to maintain, day after day after day on a thru hike.

litefoot

Tenderheart
04-02-2011, 18:16
. Runners, IMO, tend to be very injury prone hikers for whatever reason.

Probably because of too much, too soon. The aerobics will allow you to do more than the musculo-skeletal is ready for with the extra weight.

litefoot

Mags
04-02-2011, 18:44
I, An average daily mileage of 20-30 would be very difficult and not very fun.

For you.

Otherwise my various hikes would not be fun for me. :sun

I am not a marathon runner on a regular basis, but even not doing thru-hikes, I love to do 20+ MPD backpacks and long ski tours. Built for endurance and thrive doing it.

So here's one schlub who can and does 20+ MPD on thru-hikes and has fun!

The Counselor
04-02-2011, 18:48
I've run a bunch of marathons, though I have limited experience in long distance hiking thus far. Beyond being fit weight and cardio-wise, I agree with 10-K that knowing your body and what it is and isn't capable of is an advantage. I agree with the school of thought that once you get to a certain level of fitness, the mental aspect of any long distance or endurance endeavor is critical to not only performance but enjoyment. I expect having multiple experiences of having pushed my body and mind for a long time after fatigue sets in would be a big advantage in a long distance hike - especially as compared to someone who had never before been to that point physically or mentally.

Blissful
04-02-2011, 18:49
I only have 1 rule: No dinner if I didn't get in 20...

:)

You must have had an ayce buffet when you did Kinsman / Franconia Ridge. :D

Papa D
04-02-2011, 20:33
10K made an excellent post - you COULD start by doing say 20 mile days or more but unless you are a very experienced hiker (not runner) you will likely get injured and / or will not be able to sustain the pace, besides, it is fun to walk the AT at a more relaxing pace, take photographs, socialize a bit at the shelters, etc. Start by walking the GA section in 6 days - this is NOT a slouchy pace - it is a fair amount faster than most people start - you will then probably feel like walking though about Irwin, TN at about a 14-15 m.p.d. pace -- later, you will be TRAIL conditioned properly to do 20s, 25s and 30s in good style and enjoy them. Hike your own hike, but this is my strong suggestion for a pretty fast hike. If you start too fast early, it is likely you will go slower, get injured, or get tired, miserable, burn-out, or not make it for some other reason.

garlic08
04-02-2011, 21:37
If this is your first hike, you're going to need some time to get used to trail life. Not only do you walk all day, but you need to eat, bathe, take care of skin issues that tend to crop up, do laundry, have some fun, socialize, go shopping, find an internet computer, call home, find fuel for your stove, replace gear once in a while, take a day off to meet family who flew out to see you--in short, you need to keep a sustainable pace and keep living a life for nearly 4 months. That all takes considerable time and effort, and experience helps it go smoothly. You don't even know if your shoes and gear are the right stuff to hold up for thousands of miles, and replacing/repairing gear takes time. The hikers who can keep that kind of pace at the start of the AT usually have some long trail experience already--not all, but most. Oh yeah, the packs are usually less than 20 pounds fully loaded, too. For two people, it's more than twice as hard, too--little issues tend to multiply. You're not crazy, but the cards are kinda stacked against you. Best of luck, though.

blitz1
04-03-2011, 10:22
I agree with the other posters that distance runners who've never backpacked often have trouble adjusting to the trail. IMO it's partly they've never had to pay a lot of attention to foot placement. an experienced hiker is looking at the trail ahead unconsciously deciding where to put each foot several steps in advance and their legs "know" how to step on or over each root or rock without slipping. if you aren't used to this, it's going to take a lot of effort, both mentally and physically - the muscles used for fine control of foot placement are not strong in distance runners, and can quickly get fatigued, making people more likely to slip and forcing them to slow down more than they ever dreamed. The strong power muscles of a great distance runner aren't trained for the fine control needed for coming down a rocky trail.
I agree with the other posters it's good to start slow if you're not used to it, but if you've already done a lot of trail running, it's likely to be an easier adjustment. Personally, I'm in the camp of those who like to start off fairly hard, with 20+ mile days that seem to burn off the accumulated stresses of life. OTOH, I've only section hiked in the past, up to 2 wk trips, and it's no big deal to be sore at the end of that time. Up to a point, sore is good. I'll find out soon if this approach works on a thru! Anyway, if I get too sore doing this, I'll just take a 0.

The Counselor
04-03-2011, 11:41
I agree with the other posters that distance runners who've never backpacked often have trouble adjusting to the trail. IMO it's partly they've never had to pay a lot of attention to foot placement. an experienced hiker is looking at the trail ahead unconsciously deciding where to put each foot several steps in advance and their legs "know" how to step on or over each root or rock without slipping. if you aren't used to this, it's going to take a lot of effort, both mentally and physically - the muscles used for fine control of foot placement are not strong in distance runners, and can quickly get fatigued, making people more likely to slip and forcing them to slow down more than they ever dreamed. The strong power muscles of a great distance runner aren't trained for the fine control needed for coming down a rocky trail.
I agree with the other posters it's good to start slow if you're not used to it, but if you've already done a lot of trail running, it's likely to be an easier adjustment. Personally, I'm in the camp of those who like to start off fairly hard, with 20+ mile days that seem to burn off the accumulated stresses of life. OTOH, I've only section hiked in the past, up to 2 wk trips, and it's no big deal to be sore at the end of that time. Up to a point, sore is good. I'll find out soon if this approach works on a thru! Anyway, if I get too sore doing this, I'll just take a 0.

I've slipped a time or two on this account. My slightly slew left foot plays a role too, I think. Still getting used to watching where I step.....

mountainboogey
04-03-2011, 18:05
thanks everyone. I do have plenty experience backpacking also...but never of this magnitude. its always been a weekend/week at a time.
you all made great points I will consider. :)

FatMan
04-03-2011, 18:30
A lot of testoterone on this forum. 15 miles a day is much more the norm for the average on the trail. And when it comes to starting it is more like 8-10. The biggest reason for dropping out is starting too fast.

Tenderheart
04-03-2011, 18:34
A lot of testoterone on this forum. 15 miles a day is much more the norm for the average on the trail. And when it comes to starting it is more like 8-10. The biggest reason for dropping out is starting too fast.

Amen to that!!!

sbhikes
04-03-2011, 19:53
I found back-to-back 30 mile days pretty hard on my body on the PCT. Not only was it hard on my body but it would make my hiker hunger even more unbearable. Keeping it around 25 was a lot better for me.

What I found is that I had a pretty consistent 2.5 mile pace. This pace didn't vary much between steep ups or downs or even flats. So basically, if I hiked 10 measly hours per day, no matter what, I was going to do 25 miles. You should figure out what your backpacking pace is and then simply do the math to see if the pace is in the realm of possibility for you. Then the only thing left is to figure out if your body can take that many hours of walking day after day, which you won't really know until you hit the trail.

For your comparison, I was 43-44 at the time and not a marathon runner and just an ordinary, flabby woman who does a lot of day hiking and carried an ultralight kit.

By the way, I asked a similar question here once and someone PM'd me, saying that he normally would be blasted in the forum for saying so, but that consistent 20 mile days would be no problem on the AT and that most people can't do it on the AT because a) they socialize too much and b) they carry heavy gear and c) they just don't hike the entire day.

Mags
04-03-2011, 21:40

...or a lot of in-shape, experienced backpackers? ;)

15 MPD is the norm of the AT. Come out West. We believe in hiking on a backpacking trip. :D

that consistent 20 mile days would be no problem on the AT and that most people can't do it on the AT because a) they socialize too much and b) they carry heavy gear and c) they just don't hike the entire day.

Exactly!

I've said it many times before..stopping to smell the roses usually just means get out camp no earlier than 9am, stop at 5pm (usually in a three-sided lean-to), and spend a lot of time in town. No wonder why 10 MPD is average...

10-K
04-03-2011, 21:44
By the way, I asked a similar question here once and someone PM'd me, saying that he normally would be blasted in the forum for saying so, but that consistent 20 mile days would be no problem on the AT and that most people can't do it on the AT because a) they socialize too much and b) they carry heavy gear and c) they just don't hike the entire day.

I would agree with this in general noting that there are a few exceptions.

A lot of people who could in theory hike 20 mpd either just don't want to.

Nothing wrong with that, but 20 miles a day is not like the sound barrier or anything - it's just a number.

Papa D
04-03-2011, 21:56
Fatman - I do 8-10 miles before my second cup of testosterone!

jersey joe
04-04-2011, 09:46
If you start out doing 15 mile days, you will be cranking out 25 mile days through the mid atlantic states no problem...

booney_1
04-04-2011, 22:32
try going on a 20 mile day hike on a hilly route. I'm a runner also, but I find running and hiking different. Even without a pack you use different muscles. From long distance running you have certain callouses built up on your feet. When backpacking your boots or sneakers will stress different areas, like maybe the heels or top of your toes.

From running you are in good cardio shape and are certainly not overweight. Your "core" muscles will strengthen when backpacking. The muscles supporting your knees may need to be built up.

I don't mean to be negative, but just want to emphasize the difference. I find running 10 miles much easier than walking 10...(i run more than i walk)

stranger
04-05-2011, 04:36

A pack over 30lbs, averaging close to 30 miles per day starting out? Have you ever walked a 30 mile day over mountains with 30lbs on your back before? I would try this and then go from there.

I haven't done many 30's, only a few, but done plenty of 25-28's, alot depends on you and how your body deals with hiking, your running will help but probably not nearly as much as you might think.

30 miles is a long day for most people...

jersey joe
04-05-2011, 09:20
A big factor for me in the beginnging that I haven't seen mentioned yet, was the amount of daylight. In march, you will have significantly less daylight to hike in than a few months later. It is getting dark at 5:00 and you need to set up camp and eat dinner before that.(If you enjoy night hiking, this statement isn't true). So, I found the shorter days to be one of the four main limiting factors when I started my thru hike, along with not being in trail shape, carrying extra winter weight, and the rough terrain in the south.

JPritch
03-23-2017, 14:03
Running and climbing mountains are very different. I know plenty of runners who avoid hills like the plague during training, who get out on hilly trails and fall apart. Some carryover, but not as much as you think. Even if a runner did train hills, you never encounter a 1-2 hour sustained climb running or in a race, like you would hiking.

PatmanTN
03-23-2017, 16:10
Interesting discussion on hiking versus running. I did both for years but eventually needed to reduce the overall use and trauma to my legs. I chose to quit running last summer and while it was really tough mentally, my legs have never felt better. I did notice that keeping my trail legs is slightly harder now but worth it in the big picture. I started running in my early thirties but now at 44 (almost 45), it's clear that I don;t have the genetics to do it long term. Besides, backpacking is more fun.

I would disagree with the sentiment that runners avoid hills. I never did and routinely see trail runners in the Smokies doing 2000 and even 4000 foot ascents while running. Oh, they cuss, but they do it. :)

jj dont play
03-23-2017, 16:27
Start easy. Being a marathon runner you'll be able to do big miles. But start with 10-12. I didn't have a marathon background but ran cross country including a little in college. Had been 3 years since I ran but that experience I feel still puts you more in tune with your body than others IMO. You know what pains are important and what aren't and didn't take me long to get my "wind" back. I started picking up miles in the smokies then never looked back. You should have no problem doing a sub 4 month thru hike(if that's what you want). But Keeping the mileage low till around hot springs is a good idea and will only help you succeed your goal though you may feel it's putting you behind at first. 2189 miles is a lot of ground to get back on pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
03-23-2017, 17:53
I've run a bunch of marathons, though I have limited experience in long distance hiking thus far. Beyond being fit weight and cardio-wise, I agree with 10-K that knowing your body and what it is and isn't capable of is an advantage. I agree with the school of thought that once you get to a certain level of fitness, the mental aspect of any long distance or endurance endeavor is critical to not only performance but enjoyment. I expect having multiple experiences of having pushed my body and mind for a long time after fatigue sets in would be a big advantage in a long distance hike - especially as compared to someone who had never before been to that point physically or mentally.

A lot of variables. Some people get sucked into zeros and enjoy that (really affects your pace), some are ill-prepared, some get chronic injuries, etc. Very possible for 20s in may parts though! Good to have some extra time built into your schedule in case something doesn't go quite as planned

rafe
03-23-2017, 19:38
Maybe better to think in terms of miles per week.

15 MPD is kind of a magic number. It's what you get when you divide 2185 miles by 150 days or so.

Most thru hikers start at 10+ MPD for the first few weeks, by Erwin or Damascus they're averaging 15 and pulling occasional 20 MPDs. After Harpers Ferry, they do high-teens routinely without thinking about it. In the White Mountains and southern Maine, they might dial it back a bit. Best I could ever pull off long term was 15 MPD, and that was really only in the middle third of the AT.

egilbe
03-24-2017, 06:52
I wonder if the OP ever did his hike? I mean, he posted this 6 years ago

lwhikerchris
03-24-2017, 09:05

Thru hiking increases testosterone...

https://www.outsideonline.com/2125031/what-happens-your-body-thru-hike

Hikingjim
03-24-2017, 09:38

I follow his vlog. He ended up averaging 0.5 MPD and is still finishing the trail. 2000 days in

Hikingjim
03-24-2017, 09:39

I follow his vlog. He ended up averaging 0.5 MPD and is still finishing the trail. 2000 days in

jj dont play
03-24-2017, 10:48

Oh snap didn't notice that when I posted.. good ole Tapatalk I usually just hit the newest post assuming it's current

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longboysfan
03-30-2017, 10:24
I just came back from section hiking - in cool weather - from Neels to Winding stair gap.
77 miles in 5 1/2 days.
I was under the gun on time in and out.

I had planned on 6 days but rain coming moved me a bit faster.
Last day starting at 8am and finishing at 1:30pm was 12 miles.

But if you are thru hiking start at 8 - 10 for the first 4 days and then see how your body feels.