PDA

View Full Version : Tent footprint options

JeffG
01-17-2005, 20:51
I was wondering what other people used for tent footprints, other than the model specific ones you can buy for your tent. I used some tyvek this summer for one week of hiking. I felt that it was too heavy though, especially after a few days of rain and all the gunk that gets stuck to the tyvek. I am planning to hike for a month straight this summer and am wondering if there are any lighter options to use as a footprint.

Happy
01-17-2005, 21:54
NONE....tent floors are tough enough these days!

Kerosene
01-18-2005, 06:15
I concur...don't add more weight with a tent footprint, just be careful where you lay down.

Peaks
01-18-2005, 21:05
WEll, I for one carry the tent footprint made for the tent. Alternatively, I have carried 6 or 8 mil plastic sheeting, not the 1 or 2 mil plastic.

My rational is that it's better to ruin the footprint than the bottom on the tent. Also, it doubles as a ground cloth below my sleeping pad and sleeping bag when I use a shelter, which is 75% of the time. Thus far, my tent is still very waterproof after both a thru-hike, a cross country bike trip and other shorter treks.

JeffG
01-19-2005, 13:00
more info. for people looking for information on footprints/tarps: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5830&highlight=footprint

Footslogger
01-19-2005, 13:16
I carry a piece of Tyvek cut to match the floor dimension of my tent. If the ground is soft, dry and free of rocks, sticks and debris I often don't use it. But for the extra couple ounces it's worth it in my opinion, to have it with me. Doesns't take much to puncture the floor in a silnylon tent plus ...I routinely spread out the Tyvek under my sleeping pad when I stay in shelters.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Rain Man
01-19-2005, 13:38
Lately I've been carrying only the footprint and the rainfly and poles. Not the tent itself at all. Works fine for me, even in breezy conditions.

Saves weight and space, but of course in buggy season, it'd be worth the weight and space to keep out those nasties.
:sun
Rain Man