PDA

View Full Version : How often do you Seam Seal your tent?

trailangelbronco
04-03-2011, 12:33
Just finished seam sealing my back up tent, I loan it out to folks hiking with me.
I am looking at my one year old Lightheart Solo, and contemplating resealing it, but the seams look and feel ok.
How often do you guys seam seal?

Feral Bill
04-03-2011, 12:55
Never.......

Tipi Walter
04-03-2011, 13:03
Once is enough! Taped seams leak. I always seam seal the floors of my Hilleberg tents, and sometimes the kerlon umbrella flysheet on the Staika. On all my old tents, seam sealing was a tedious requirement. On a newer MSR Fury I seam sealed the floor middle seam and the perimeter seams. The fly? Naw, not yet.

trailangelbronco
04-03-2011, 13:04
Do you use a Hammock??

Toolshed
04-03-2011, 13:06
In the old days, once with seam grip and it usually worked for the life of the tent. I was never impressed with the water based Kenyon product. Nowadays everything non-silnylon is taped. I don't worry about side seams that are covered by the fly. I haven
't sealed any of my silnylon stuff yet and probably never will.

map man
04-03-2011, 13:22
I've used my Tarptent Virga II for one or two backpacking trips a year over the last five years (most days of tent use in a year has been 23 and fewest has been four). I seam seal it every other year. I've never had water leaks.

LoneRidgeRunner
04-03-2011, 14:20
I sealed all non factory taped seams on my Trango 2 when I bought it years ago with McNett seam grip I also sealed all the points where guy out loops were sewn to the fly The main seams were all taped.. and they have never leaked I sealed the floor seam where it joined the sides from the inside and all points where the stake out loops were sewn on... There were no leaks for probably 8 years or so...I set it up in the yard overnight about 6 or 7 weeks ago and it came a gully washer that night and I found a few drops of water next am at only one of the points where the stake out loops connected..I just touched up all those and went hiking it rained all night that Friday and not a drop or water got inside..I have used cheap tents that weren't factory taped without sealing and nearly drowned the first time it rained..

SassyWindsor
04-03-2011, 15:14
"How ofter do you Seam Seal your tent?"

If it leaks, I seal it, if not, I don't.

Papa D
04-03-2011, 15:33
Here is a seam sealing tip:
After you seam seal and let the sealant dry outside in the sun, dust it with baby powder - this will prevent anything that is still sticky from sticking together.
That said, I rarely apply seam seal because I have found that factory seam seals seem not to leak - occasionally, I identify a worn spot and touch it up.

Joey C
04-03-2011, 15:41

Can't get more simple and real than that! +1 to this!

Tinker
04-03-2011, 15:56

Now, you're being a bit sassy, aren't you? ;):D

markmack
04-03-2011, 18:53

i dont agree, who wants to spend a wet night in a tent if a little bit of preventative maintanance could have kept you dry. you dont say im not going to change the oil in my car because it still has oil in it, so why would you do this with a tent?

Joey C
04-03-2011, 19:05
i dont agree, who wants to spend a wet night in a tent if a little bit of preventative maintanance could have kept you dry. you dont say im not going to change the oil in my car because it still has oil in it, so why would you do this with a tent?

Who said anything about spending a wet night? I set mine up in my yard and sprayed it with a hose, checked for leaks, tested everything out before I ever head out on the trail. Never spent a wet night in my tent, tarp, or hammock.

Ounce of prevention, pound of cure thing ya' know. ;)

SassyWindsor
04-03-2011, 23:06
Who said anything about spending a wet night? I set mine up in my yard and sprayed it with a hose, checked for leaks, tested everything out before I ever head out on the trail. Never spent a wet night in my tent, tarp, or hammock.

Ounce of prevention, pound of cure thing ya' know. ;)

This is true, I also fill my inside floor with water on wood deck or pavement to see if any leaks occur, needs a good washing out anyhow. Besides, I carry a small tube of seal, as well as duct tape, with me on long trips.

I was going to ask the previous poster how many miles should I go between tent sealing, but I won't. :D

SassyWindsor
04-03-2011, 23:31
PS: The tube of seal has multiple functions, fire starter, cuts (first aid) sealant, pack repair, rain gear seal, water bladder seal, boot rand and stitch seal and probably a few other things I just haven't used it for yet. My policy is to try not to carry anything with just one use, I'm still trying to figure out other uses for my water filter (if carrying one).

Mountain Mike
04-04-2011, 00:42
PS: The tube of seal has multiple functions, fire starter, cuts (first aid) sealant, pack repair, rain gear seal, water bladder seal, boot rand and stitch seal and probably a few other things I just haven't used it for yet. My policy is to try not to carry anything with just one use, I'm still trying to figure out other uses for my water filter (if carrying one).

Lengthen the hose & use it like the midevil ball & chain weapon to fend off bear attacks, or switch to surgical tubing so you can make a slingshot. Almost anything can become multi-use. LOL

Kia Kaha
04-04-2011, 07:56
My SMD shelters only one time, the other factory taped tents...never.