PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for an '05 thruer

SavageLlama
01-17-2005, 21:36
Aaah, I can tell spring is on its way because I can smell the fear of the 2005 hopefuls…

'OUT IN THE WOODS' –– Student trains for 2,000-mile hike on the AT

By Jeffrey Kayer

The Patriot-News

January 11, 2005

The Appalachian Trail snakes 2,160 miles through 14 states and some of the most treacherous terrain on the East Coast. Steep mountains and unpredictable weather test even the most experienced outdoors enthusiasts.

Scott Snair isn't daunted.

The 19-year-old Mechanicsburg native and Shippensburg University sophomore plans to hike the trail days after the school year ends. Snair will set off at Springer Mountain, Ga., and end his journey at Mt. Katahdin, Maine, the end of the trail.

"I have always been into hiking since I was a boy," Snair said. "I just love being out in the woods where it is quiet, and I can relax."

Snair estimated that it will take the summer to hike the 2,160 miles. He thinks he will have to hike more than 20 miles a day.

He's setting a tough goal for himself. The average thru-hiker walks about 12 miles a day and takes five to six months to complete the trail, said John Fletcher, a spokesman for the Appalachian Trial Conservancy in Harpers Ferry, W.Va.

The shortest hike on record is 49 days, completed by Peter Palmer in 1999. Palmer, however, did not carry a backpack and was aided by a support team, Fletcher said.

"He could do it," Fletcher said of Snair's plan to complete the hike in one summer. "But it's not going to be easy. He has to really stick to a schedule, and that can be hard on the trail."

Snair acknowledged the challenge.

"It won't all be fun. There will be a lot of work involved," Snair said. "It is going to take grit and a lot of determination. Finishing it will be a big accomplishment."

In fact, Snair will have to clear one of the toughest parts of the trail at the onset. He must scale Clingman's Dome in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee, the tallest mountain on the trail.

The Appalachian National Scenic Trail, as it is officially known, is the longest and narrowest national park in the country. Volunteers maintain the trail.

Snair is wasting no opportunity to prepare.

Snair often hikes near Pine Grove Furnace at Tumbling Run, following the stream to a small drop-off that offers scenic views of the Cumberland Valley.

He has a rendezvous planned along the trail. While in Pennsylvania, not far from Boiling Springs, Snair will meet his parents.

"I really look forward to it," he said.

From there, Snair will head for New Jersey and then New York's Hudson Valley before arriving in New England, considered one of the most strenuous parts of the hike with its steep mountains and unpredictable weather.

Snair's parents will send food to post offices near the trail for their son to pick up.

"These are fairly difficult as you have to plan precisely where you will be to pick them up," Snair said. He will survive on dehydrated meats and pastas, such as Ramen noodles.

Snair is confident the experience will change his life.

"I am sure a mental change will occur after hiking the trail," he said. "It is going to give me the chance to cleanse myself, to get away from making money and let me focus on me."

# # #

hustler
01-19-2005, 23:57
I like how he says "it won't be fun". In my opinion if you're not having fun a majority of the time, then why in the world would you hike it? If you are out there for just the challenge your chances of success will be low. I really hope his tune changes once he steps on the trail. My best memories were hiking smaller mileage with other thru hikers, not killing myself by hiking alone.

UCONNMike
01-20-2005, 00:44
I can understand why he would say "it won't be fun" just because it is so difficult both on your body and mind, that comparing it to fun (which to me, fun means leasure and relaxing) doesnt do the trail justice. when people say to me "that is your idea of fun, hiking a trail for 4 moths?" I answer, "no, its not fun, its hard work, and thru that hard work i'll experience something greater then i ever have before."

wacocelt
01-20-2005, 08:40
"It won't ALL be fun.

This quote sounds to be a sound and prepared outlook for a Thru hike.

Lone Wolf
01-20-2005, 08:48
"Snair will have to clear one of the toughest parts of the trail at the onset. He must scale Clingman's Dome in the GSMNP in Tennessee, the tallest Mtn. on the trail." :D Yup. Damn tough ascent. Many die attempting.

rocket04
01-20-2005, 12:52
"Snair will have to clear one of the toughest parts of the trail at the onset. He must scale Clingman's Dome in the GSMNP in Tennessee, the tallest Mtn. on the trail." :D Yup. Damn tough ascent. Many die attempting. LOL. I hope he doesn't set any expectations based on his Clingman ascent thinking it's really one of the toughest. Otherwise he'll be in for a surprise...

Footslogger
01-20-2005, 13:20
"Snair will have to clear one of the toughest parts of the trail at the onset. He must scale Clingman's Dome in the GSMNP in Tennessee, the tallest Mtn. on the trail." :D Yup. Damn tough ascent. Many die attempting.===========================

Ya know ...I think I did die, or at least was left for dead that day in 2003.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lone Wolf
01-20-2005, 13:23
Fat ladies with pocketbooks have it tougher getting up to Clingman's on the paved path than hikers do on the AT. :D

SGT Rock
01-20-2005, 14:13
I did notice the remains of failed attempts along the summit. Empty oxygen bottles, bones of dead sherpas, etc. No sense in taking your life in your own hands climbing that thing...

The should have brought cell phones :(

Footslogger
01-20-2005, 14:29
I did notice the remains of failed attempts along the summit. Empty oxygen bottles, bones of dead sherpas, etc. No sense in taking your life in your own hands climbing that thing...
=====================================
Unless you climb it on a Sunday when the weather is nice. Cause then you're famous like a rock star (for at least 10 minutes or so). All the tourists approach as you break out on top dragging ass and looking all exhausted and stuff and ask "are you a REAL thru-hiker ? " ...and you get to spend the next several minutes signing autographs and yogi'ing snacks and sodas.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
01-20-2005, 14:39
How about if I only park at the bottom early in the morning, hike out about a half mile, roll around in the mud and spend a half hour standing over a campfire just to get the thru-hiker look/smell, and then hike in? The turons would probably not know the difference.

Footslogger
01-20-2005, 14:51
How about if I only park at the bottom early in the morning, hike out about a half mile, roll around in the mud and spend a half hour standing over a campfire just to get the thru-hiker look/smell, and then hike in? The turons would probably not know the difference.==========================
Yeah ...that'd probably fly until someone asked a question about a specific spot on the trail south of Clingman's and your mouth dropped wide open and out came a big ..."duh". I think that would seriously lower your odds of getting a hand-out.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
01-20-2005, 14:56
Well I am good south of Clingman's Dome, I already know that area, as well as a chunk of stuff north of it. But after thinking up that plan I can't figure out what the benifit would be since I can just drive down to Smokin' Joes in Townsend and get good BBQ without needing to yogi from the turons.

Footslogger
01-20-2005, 15:00
But after thinking up that plan I can't figure out what the benifit would be since I can just drive down to Smokin' Joes in Townsend and get good BBQ without needing to yogi from the turons.=================================
True ...but you give up that moment of "thru-hiker" fame cause down in Smokin' Joes you're just another customer.

'Slogger

lightning
01-20-2005, 15:09
what's a turon?

SGT Rock
01-20-2005, 15:12
Tourist+Moron=Touron

Lone Wolf
01-20-2005, 15:13
Like a moron except a tourist.

Footslogger
01-20-2005, 15:16
Tourist+Moron=Touron========================
Duh ...is that like a TUMOR ??

SGT Rock
01-20-2005, 15:17
I guess so.

Youngblood
01-20-2005, 15:40
Hey, don't mess with the nice folks that have coolers, picnic baskets and such that might be willing to share a little.

A-Train
01-20-2005, 18:04
Hey, don't mess with the nice folks that have coolers, picnic baskets and such that might be willing to share a little.

LOL, yah, day-hikers and tourists are stupid, weak, insignificant people to thru-hikers until they offer them a ride or a soda :)