PDA

View Full Version : January 17, 2005

LIhikers
01-18-2005, 10:07
Stopped in here for a lunch break on January 17th. A simple, basic lean-to with room for 4 in bunk beds and floor space for 4 or 5 more. Also, the roof looks to be in good condition with no apparent leaks. There's a fire ring out front but no privy and water is near by. At least when i was there it was.

Northbound on the AT, up the hill, there appears to be a nice camping spot with room for a few of tents.

Hammock Hanger
01-18-2005, 10:21
stopped where?

Jaybird
01-18-2005, 10:31
Long Island is on the A.T. now?????
hehehehehe :D

attroll
01-18-2005, 13:17
I am sure that they are talking about William Brien Memorial Shelter since that is what this thread is under.

Hammock Hanger
01-18-2005, 14:16
I am sure that they are talking about William Brien Memorial Shelter since that is what this thread is under.
okay, so I didn't read my whole email.

LIhikers
01-19-2005, 09:01
Long Island is on the A.T. now?????
hehehehehe :D

I can only wish it was. I've got to pay tolls to cross 2 bridges to get to the NY section but I'm GLAD that it's close enough to be doable as a day trip! :)

LIhikers
11-07-2005, 11:04
My wife and I stopped for our lunch break at the William Brien Memorial shelter while day hiking in New York's Harriman State Park. The place needs a good cleaning, what a mess. If there had been a broom I would have swept out the piles of leaves and dirt, but there wasn't one. I did pack out the garbage. The front edge of the floor needs repairing but otherwise things look OK from a structural point of view. And the spring did have water.

tsali
02-02-2006, 18:30
I was there in aug. the water was dried up and there was trash every where more than i could carry out. watched some deer out in front. Disappointed that i did not hike further i was told the hext day that just north you can see the NYC skyline on a clear night. I will get a second chance this summer though.

Deb
05-09-2006, 15:53
This is an old stone shelter, solidly built, at the base of a cliff. It's made out of the same rocks and is quite striking.
It is heavily used and unfortunately gets quite a lot of abuse.
The privy was removed due to vandalism.
When I was there 5/8/06 the seasonal spring was already dry.
There is a small fireplace on the inside of the central stone pillar. Lack of ventilation has made the place grimy.
The building is beautiful in its way, but a more dispiriting place would be hard to imagine.
If you're northbound, there is water at Tiorati Circle, 4 miles from the shelter. There is also a fairly strong stream .1 compass-north of Seven Lakes Drive. If southbound, Beechy Bottom Brook just before the Palisades Parkway is reliable.