PDA

View Full Version : Trail Food.

mot13ley
04-04-2011, 00:33
Just curious of the food that people bring along! And also looking for a variety of food to bring along. Lipton noodles and rice can get sickening after a while!

Leanthree
04-04-2011, 02:28
I have got into these Thai Kitchen noodle meals my past couple weekend-extended trips. They are a bit more expensive than ramen but a bit better calorie/oz, they taste better and the noodles are rice noodles which have never been fried so I imagine it is healthier for you. It takes 2 of them to = one ramen so plan accordingly (one cup boiling water per pack). Can either follow instructions on bag or use FBC method. In my grocery next to ramen.

leaftye
04-04-2011, 02:38
3000 calories of a custom meal replacement drink. 1500 calories of various types of gorp.

Very dense convenient calories.

LDog
04-04-2011, 09:19
Just curious of the food that people bring along! And also looking for a variety of food to bring along. Lipton noodles and rice can get sickening after a while!

Check this out for an intro to freezer bag cooking and bunches of recipes:

http://www.trailcooking.com/

Ender
04-04-2011, 09:28
One dish I've grown to love on the trail is pesto... just bring pasta noodles of your choice, a Knorr brand (or similar brand) packet of dried pesto, and olive oil. It's delicious, easy to make, and lightweight for the calories.

Another thing I tend to bring are those single serving packets of deli meat, hamburger buns, single slice cheese, and mayo packets. Yummy, though not high on the calories.

Blissful
04-04-2011, 10:09
Blog I wrote on the subject and what worked for me

http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/search/label/Hiker%20food

d.o.c
04-04-2011, 10:17
very cool blog blissful i also ate alot of what she listed but realy anythng and evrythng can be brought if u want to cary it.

Tipi Walter
04-04-2011, 10:35
very cool blog blissful i also ate alot of what she listed but realy anythng and evrythng can be brought if u want to cary it.

Here's the secret to backpacking food. "Really anthing and everything" you're willing to carry. VARIETY is the name of the game. Cantaloupe? Take it. A dozen eggs? Take 'em. A couple avocados? Do it. Three apples and a pear? Go ahead. Vegetarian? Meat eater? Vegan? Don't matter. Baked tofu? Take it. Oatmeal? Heck yes, don't even need to cook it. A couple loaves of bread? Oh heck yes.

Mary Jane's Farm has some great organic vegetarian dehydrated stuff in 3 lb bulk amounts---Outrageous Oatmeal, Eat Your Veggies Pasta, all good. Tasty Bite has some neato stuff in foil containers. Order a couple cases of Probars and you'll be set for your granola bar fix.

The only warning I have is to avoid junk food. Yes, there's no variety here and no need to bring junk like snickers or endless white sugar products that just rot the teeth and ruin your health. For a sugar fix you can instead use raw organic honey or order a big amount of dates or buy raisins, etc.

BigRing
04-05-2011, 11:40
Spend a little extra time while doing the weekly grocery shopping and look at food items as backpacking fare. Also, visit different grocery chain stores, because they carry different items; fresh, dried, canned, pouch, pre-cooked, foil pouch...the list is endless.

ScottP
04-06-2011, 01:00
I ordered massive quantities of bulk food online and did maildrops. Turned out to be significantly cheaper for me, and I felt stronger on a healthy diet.

garlic08
04-06-2011, 09:58
I pretty much walk through the grocery store aisles and buy what I want to eat that looks easy enough to carry. Oats, cashews, walnuts, raisins, cheese, peanut butter, fig newtons, tortillas, bagels, instant potatoes, ramen, Wheat Thins, hummus, bananas, apples, celery, carrots, peppers, garlic (of course), a sub sandwich or slice of pizza.... And that's not carrying a stove and not eating meat. There are all sorts of other options with foil packages of meat, cured sausage, pasta, rice, soup mixes. If you can eat the sweet stuff (I can't), there are Little Debbies, cookies, candy....

No reason to subsist on warm, salty glop out of a bag.

cricket71
04-06-2011, 20:25
making your own meals and dehydrating em' is is nice cuz then you no what you are actually eating. You can make your own bullion and add whatever you want for a really good soup or stew, dehydrated vegies and chicken or meat. makin biscut mix then adding water with a lil' dried fruit and honey and you have nice lil scone. very tasty. I enjoy food so plain food bores me after a while, eating something nice after miles,rain or snow gives me that extra something to push on.

harryfred
04-06-2011, 22:45
I rarely carry a stove now in the summer I take a lot of fresh veggies. Cucumbers are a favorite sometimes I cut them up with onions and a drizzle of olive oil (a staple in my pack) and if I take it some vinegar. Tomatoes the grape/cherry/plum are the easiest to carry but I've carried plum and others in the top of my pack. carrots even the bags of baby carrots last for days there is a trick to carrying celery and it is a little limpy but still good. Broccoli carries wonderful. The only veggie I can think of I haven't carried is lettuce. Fruit the sky is the limit I have carried apples, peaches, grapes , cherries, and yes a cantaloupe. (I think some ultralighters out there just fainted).
I eat these with CHEESE:banana and a bread, Flat bagels are my current favorite, but here is flat bread, tortillas in all kinds of styles (they call them wraps) regular bagels, English muffins pita bread..... You can also tie a loaf of regular bread or buns to the outside of your pack and be careful of it for a day as you leave town. Dark hard breads like pumpernickel or rye also hold up well at the top of you pack.
If I carry a meat it is usually a good summer sausage, some single serving deli meat (if it is sealed in a pouch it will last all week trust me) hard salami or pepperoni. Sometimes foil pouch Seasoned tuna or chicken (I don't like regular tuna) single serving Spam isn't to bad on the trail considering I really dislike Spam any other time.
Tipi Walter is right Oatmeal does not need to cook just add some water leave it soak add some raisins and honey we are golden:sun. I always carry peanut butter, Jelly and/or honey. COOKIES are a real good breakfast and a good pick-me-up during the day, I love oatmeal in any form. I also always carry nuts I love mixed nuts but just peanuts are good the unsalted nuts in the baking section are a favorite with many hikers, and pretzels, the minis carry very well even in the middle of your pack.
Just as a final thought alot of hikers have come to enjoy avocados, I do not like them except as a ingredient (I like guacamole). They do have a lot of calories and good fat and they do respond well to flavor additives (salt, season salt, dried herbs...) and they pack very well (buy them firm in a couple of days they are soft and ready to eat.
I wrote this to help you think. For most of the year I do carry a stove and in the winter I eat a lot and I eat it hot. I really liked Tipi Walters post.
Search the forums the is a lot on food take some practice hikes and try stuff in your kitchen at home. Shop with an eye as: How will that work on the trail? Remember that just because it is in the refrigerated section does NOT mean it NEEDS refrigerated. ( I have eaten yogurt two days on the trail).
In my pack you will always find CHEESE:banana and whiskey and you are always welcome to share both.