PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hikers at SNP?

mad4scrapping
04-04-2011, 10:27
Yesterday, we hiked from Rockfish Gap to the Calf Mountain shelter and back again. We saw a couple of hikers heading north that looked like they might be thrus. I didn't get the chance to talk to them because we were trying to make it back to the car.
Could the early thrus be in the SNP already?

Lemni Skate
04-04-2011, 10:33
Definitely. It's not unreasonable to think of getting to SNP in 2 months. They would have had to start in some cold conditions and have probably been through some crazy stuff, however. So I wouldn't think there would be many. Usually, by the end of May we have a real good bulge here.

Blissful
04-05-2011, 19:45
If they began in late Jan, early Feb.

I might see them then in PA

Joey C
04-05-2011, 20:34
I thru hiked SNP to HF 2 years ago the first week of April with an AT thru hiker who started from Springer in Feb.

If you've read, or heard of, the Barefoot Sisters, you'll come to understand that there may be thru hikers on the trail at any time of the year.

C Seeker
04-19-2011, 21:12
We have already had to NoBo thru hikers pass through that area already. If I see them on the trail near Front Royal I will let you all know.

earlyriser26
04-19-2011, 22:16
We have already had to NoBo thru hikers pass through that area already. If I see them on the trail near Front Royal I will let you all know.
I will be doing a section out of Front royal in two weeks. I am sure there will be a good number by then.

WingedMonkey
04-19-2011, 22:30
And no one stopped to feed them?? Oh my.

:p

Country Roads
04-29-2011, 20:48
I know I never expected to see SOBOs at the Hawk Mountain shelter in late April, but I did. They started from Maine in early October 2005 and finished on Springer April 22, 2006. They were lean and moving fast. Nice Guys.