PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone

B.B.
04-04-2011, 14:44
My old Nokia flip phone is finally ready to retire...It can't be taped up anymore and the battery won't hardly hold a charge. Since I have to get a new one, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of one that seems to hold up well, have decent signal, and has a pretty good battery life. I will be hiking the section from Fontana to Damascus this summer.

I live in a rural area with spotty coverage at best, and have AT&T. I usually hike with my phone turned off so it won't waste battery searching for a signal. I don't particularly need a "fancy" phone...just calls and text message is fine. Thanks!!

inspectorgene
04-04-2011, 14:57
The best way to get a new ATT phone is to go to Wally World and buy one of the pre-paid GO Phones. Just remove your SIM card from your existing phone and pop it in the new one.

OR, head over to att.com and click on Go-phones and order one online. Just DON'T activate it when it arrives. Put YOUR existing sim card in it.

My old Nokia flip phone is finally ready to retire...It can't be taped up anymore and the battery won't hardly hold a charge. Since I have to get a new one, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of one that seems to hold up well, have decent signal, and has a pretty good battery life. I will be hiking the section from Fontana to Damascus this summer.

I live in a rural area with spotty coverage at best, and have AT&T. I usually hike with my phone turned off so it won't waste battery searching for a signal. I don't particularly need a "fancy" phone...just calls and text message is fine. Thanks!!

Amanita
04-05-2011, 08:11
Luckily, cellphones with fewer features tend to get better battery life.

If you're bringing an MP3 player that charges via mini usb, you might want to look into a phone that does the same, so that you only need one charger.

88BlueGT
04-05-2011, 12:35
^^ +1

I know you said 'not fancy' but how about an iPhone? It's only as fancy as you want it to be.

B.B.
04-05-2011, 22:26
Thanks for the suggestions. Bought an 11 dollar go phone at wal mart today. Stuck in my sim card and so far is working great. Weighs 1.5 oz less than my previous phone and seems to get at least as good of signal as I had...maybe a tad better. The menu is basically the same, so I don't have to learn much, although the buttons are slightly different for text messaging. You cant hardly go wrong for 11 dollars...if I end up not liking it, I sure am not out much!!! lol