PDA

View Full Version : The woman went hiking with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeepcj258
01-18-2005, 10:23
Well the title says it all, I was leaving last Friday to head out, she ask me who was going, I told her that I was going by myself, and to my amazment she said I think I want to go. I was speachless. Needless to say I did not make the miles that I had intend, but this is O TAY'!

Background:
She had a wreck a year and a half ago that severly (and I mean severly) damaged her right foot. She has not done much in the way of strenuous activity sense.

Back to the plot.
We went to the Pinhoti in AL started at 10:30 @ Porters Gap on Saturday and made it 9.7 miles by night fall to a beautiful camp up on a ridge with a dynamite view. She was a trooper the hole way, I had to help her with some of her gear (carring the weight) but that was it. On Sunday we hiked out with very pleasant mid 50 degree sunny weather. We took the advice of a fellow WBer and took the skyway loop off of the pinhoti and hiked down to lake Cheaha. We made camp at the 12 mile mark for day two. Yesterday we hiked 4 miles out to the road, caught a ride down to Adams Gap and then started walking again, caught another ride (thank the Lord) back to the car about 3 hours later, and then head home.

All in all a GREAT weekend, and the wife talks like she might go again. She had blisters and I am sure every muscle in her legs were sore but not much complaining and she seemed to have fun so we will see.

Thanks for listening, just want to share, I am kinda of excited.

God Bless
Seth

Jaybird
01-18-2005, 10:35
JeepCJ258

glad you & the wife had a GREAT hikin' experience!

i hope to hike the Pinhoti Trail one day. :D

hikerjohnd
01-18-2005, 10:35
You are soooooooooo lucky! My wife's idea of roughing it is the Four Seasons.:D

ToeJam
01-18-2005, 10:39
Very cool indeed! :D I can tell by your post that that meant alot to you, and that she enjoyed it and was willing to suck it up a bit for the experience as well!

Sounds like it was a great weekend!

neo
01-18-2005, 10:39
that so cool tha you and your wife hiked on the pinhoti together:sun neo

SGT Rock
01-18-2005, 10:40
You just don't understand, now YOU OWE HER! She will use this for a long time :eek:
Just kidding (or am I?) ;)

Glad you had a great time.

Footslogger
01-18-2005, 10:51
Well the title says it all, I was leaving last Friday to head out, she ask me who was going, I told her that I was going by myself, and to my amazment she said I think I want to go. I was speachless. Needless to say I did not make the miles that I had intend, but this is O TAY'!

Seth===========================================
All I can say is ....FANTASTIC. Coming from someone with a wife who hikes, it's great to read your post. The wife and I are as different as two people can be in many ways, but we share a love for hiking and the outdoors. Aside from our deep seated friendship, it's a common interest that allows us to make plans and spend concentrated time together.

Glad to hear that your wife liked the hike and here's hoping that the future holds many more such outings !!

'Slogger
AT 2003 ...and of course BadAss Turtle - AT 2001

Bolo
01-18-2005, 11:35
She had a wreck a year and a half ago that severly (and I mean severly) damaged her right foot. She has not done much in the way of strenuous activity sense.

Hey, Jeep! Great to hear your wife went with you! Did she have any pain or discomfort with her 'damaged' foot? The blisters will turn in to callouses if they didn't burst. Tell her to keep the callouses for the next hike!

We're all happy for you and proud of her!

Bolo ;)

Hammock Hanger
01-18-2005, 11:46
It's great when the other half comes along. Wish I could get mine out of the kayak and back on the trail. However, he has found that he can still see nature, camp and not carry the pack in a yak. I'm not sure we will ever hike together again. :(

Wife of JEEP, You go Girl!!! Sue/HH

Rain Man
01-18-2005, 11:52
All in all a GREAT weekend, and the wife talks like she might go again. She had blisters and I am sure every muscle in her legs were sore but not much complaining and she seemed to have fun so we will see.

Thanks for listening, just want to share, I am kinda of excited.

You're welcome for the listening. Thank YOU for sharing!!!

It's nice to read a positive post on WB.
:sun
Rain Man

steve hiker
01-18-2005, 15:20
Just be careful if you take the misses out whar bears are Tim Treadwell did that he took his girfriend to Alaska and a big o grizzer b-b-b-B-BEAR ate both of them. :eek:

Chip
01-18-2005, 15:45
Glad to read that you & wife had a great hike ! Hope you two do more hikes in the future. My wife and I enjoy our outings ! Great exercise too!

Best Wishes & Happy Trails,
Chip ;)

orangebug
01-18-2005, 15:54
Sigh, I have envy. My ex-wife's idea of roughing it was Best Western, Midtown Manhatten.

I'm auditioning hiker tarts.

MOWGLI
01-18-2005, 15:58
I'm auditioning hiker tarts.

Have you tried Pop? When covered in vanilla or chocolate icing, "she" makes a great hiking companion.

On a serious note, my wife has promised to do an overnight or two with me this year. I'm thinking Roan Highlands - early June. Rhody in bloom. Can't wait, although I'm sure I'll be playing the role of Sherpa.

c.coyle
01-18-2005, 16:39
Sigh, I have envy. My ex-wife's idea of roughing it was Best Western, Midtown Manhatten.

I have a wife who likes Manhattan (so do I) and backpacking. My trail name should be Bankrupt. :D

ga>me>ak
01-18-2005, 17:00
Congrats, you are a lucky man. Hope there is more to follow in the future. I think I'd kiss some serious butt for awhile. Lay the ground work for future hikes

jeepcj258
01-18-2005, 17:16
Thanks for all of the positive replies, I may log her on and let her read all of this.

The Pinhoti is beutiful and she talks like she might do more sections of it with me. SOON, I hope. It is a very good trail!

JAYBIRD, look me up, I would love to through hike it some time!

SGT ROCK, You took the words right out of her mouth.

Bolo, She had a good bit of pain and a ton of soreness with her foot. Blisters did burst but I think that she will continue and they will calouse eventually.

Thanks for sharing in my excitement!

God Bless
Seth

MOWGLI
01-18-2005, 17:24
Thanks for all of the positive replies, I may log her on and let her read all of this.

The Pinhoti is beutiful and she talks like she might do more sections of it with me. SOON, I hope. It is a very good trail!

Seth, you ain't seen nuthin yet! It gets better the farther north you go. If you hike the northern 54 miles in warmer weather, bring your fishin rod.

dixicritter
01-18-2005, 17:46

SGT ROCK, You took the words right out of her mouth.

Thanks for sharing in my excitement!

God Bless
Seth

jeepcj, don't worry about it, I'd say the same to Sgt Rock IF he could get me on the trail for more than a day hike.

I am in awe of your wife however, hiking with a physical problem ain't easy. Makes my aches and pains seem minor in comparison. Congrats to her and you on a good time.

MisterSweetie
01-18-2005, 18:12
Ha! So it's a good thing I didn't go... would have prevented this romantic interlude between the wife and you.

If you schedule again, post it here, maybe we'll eventually get together.

Ever just go camping? Some decent places around here with nice trails for a quick jaunt.

jeepcj258
01-18-2005, 18:41
Mister Sweetie, your company would always be appreciated. I am up for a camping trip, I prefer it to be a hiking trip over an extended period but that is not always practical. Let me know what you have in mind.

God Bless
Seth

NECKBONE
01-18-2005, 22:33
if she did all those rock fields on the pinhoti, then she is a "for real" hiker. congrats.

superman
01-19-2005, 09:48
I've enjoyed this thread very much. Here's another twist on it. My ex hiked with me winter and summer only until we got married. The marriage lasted 18.5 years in spite of the change up. Since then all the women I met had no interest in hiking until I hiked the AT. I met and hiked with Pat from Maine for a while on the AT. After hiking the AT I was going up to LL Bean in Freeport. Pat lived near there. We met for lunch and began dating. I lived with her in her house and now she lives with me in my house. She was a hiker and had done almost all the 4000 footers before doing the AT. It's a huge treat for me to be with a woman who likes to do the stuff I like to do. It seems to me that hiker women are the best.

jeepcj258
01-19-2005, 10:09
NECKBONE:
We enjoyed the rock gardens the first evening, I will not say that she did not have problems with that especially, and a few other sections. We stopped often, even if for only a minute to let her rest her foot but she always got back going.

Superman:
You add a new light to this, when we started dating she was very eager to do what ever I was into, that change a little as the relationship went. We all know how that is. The real change came after her wreck a year and a half ago, she has quit doing anything physically demanding with me for the most part until just her in the last few weeks. I hope and pray that I have found my life partner and nothing would thrill me more than for her to keep on and on with me again and again. Right now I am thanking the good Lord for last weekend and am trying to plan another long weekend in the next month for both of us. I will take it one trip at a time.

God Bless
Seth