PDA

View Full Version : Question on loop hiking around Standing Indian area

neonshaw
04-05-2011, 00:25
Hey guys

I am interested in a 3 day loop hike around standing indian mountain area.

I know about parking at the campground, but wondering how i can tie in Standing Indian Mntn and Albert mntn to a loop.

doesnt necessarily have to be a loop, but i want to see some views

thanks

jbwood5
04-05-2011, 07:35
Hey guys

I know about parking at the campground, but wondering how i can tie in Standing Indian Mntn and Albert mntn to a loop.

thanks

A lot of people go up the Kimsey Creek Trail. It connects with the AT. Then you go Northbound on the AT past Standing Indian Mtn (not too many views). Albert Mtn has some good views plus you can go up the firetower. From there, hike all the way down to the road, make a left and walk the road back to the campground. Total distance is roughly 25 miles. You can Park near the campground for $3(?) per day or just park outside the park at the info board for free (not as secure but never had a problem).

bulldog49
04-05-2011, 10:20
Hey guys

thanks

Quick look at the map will tell you everything you need to know. :rolleyes:

springerfever
04-05-2011, 12:20
Great hike, as JBWoods suggested. Avoid the long road walk back from Rock Gap by taking a short-cut....the blue-blazed trail from Glassmine Gap down to Backcountry Parking. You can actually park at BC..walk thru S.I. campground, pick up the Kimsey Creek trail and when you are finished you will end up right back at your car !!! Awesome loop !!!!