PDA

View Full Version : Books and Maps

Volleydoll18
01-18-2005, 16:31
I am looking for some advice on which references to use along the trail. I am looking for a book to bring for information as I Hike the AT. Should I use the AMC guides per state, or are their better options that may cost less than each book separately?:-?

A-Train
01-18-2005, 16:43
You can purchase maps for each section from the ATC, without buying the corresponding state guidebooks, which IMO give extraneous info that you don't need.

I would also buy either The Thru-hikers handbook, or the Data book AND companion from the ATC (appalachiantrail.org).

You should be all set with that info. good luck!

Jack Tarlin
01-18-2005, 16:49
VDoll:

If you go to the "Ultimate Trail Store" section of the Appalachian Trail Conference website (www.atconf.org) you'll see how to get the maps and books that you need.

If you decide to order Dan Bruce's "Thru-Hiker's Handbook," the 2005 edition can be ordered at www.trailplace.com

Tho they contain a great deal of interesting information, very few thru-hikers carry the individual state/section Guidebooks with them; as A-Train previously pointed out, most folks either carry Bruce's book, or they use a combination of the current "A.T. Data Book" and the "Thru-Hiker's Companion" which also is issued and up-dated every year. If you wish to see what the Companion looks like, you can examine the 2004 On-Line edition at www.aldha.org

Flash Hand
01-19-2005, 19:29
Just want to pitch in this, 2005 edition of ALDHA's Thru-Hiker's Companion and ATC's Appalachian Trail Data book already arrived. They are awesome!

Flash Hand :jump

Volleydoll18
01-19-2005, 20:55
Thanks for your help. I'll check these out. You've been a great help.