PDA

View Full Version : Sipsey Wilderness Bankhead National Forest Alabama GPX files

Buffalo Skipper
04-05-2011, 12:27
I will be leading a group of scouts through the Sipsey Wilderness in 2 months. Does anyone have any GPX files for trails in this area? I have some digital trail maps, but it is nice to use my Topo software to plan routes and calculate distances.

Any help on the Sipsey is welcome.

karo
04-06-2011, 06:45
Map with gps coordinates (http://www.briartech.com/sipseyonepagea.pdf)
More coordinates (http://www.gpstreks.com/Sipsey.htm)
Suggestion: Park at Thompson Creek trailhead and hike to Ship Rock/Eye of the Needle and camp. Dayhike to mouth of Bee Creek and upstream to East Bee to Falls and the Big Tree. Please observe and follow any fire restrictions and LNT.

I had a track saved of that trip last time I went there, Ill see if I can figure out how to send it to you.

karo
04-06-2011, 06:54
Cart o Craft map (http://kfmaps.com/detail.aspx?ID=29)

Jelly-Bean
04-06-2011, 09:37
Your scouts are going to LOVE Sipsey. You have to take a picture of them around Big Tree.

paistes5
04-12-2011, 15:59
I'm heading to Sipsey in a little over a week for a 4 dayer with the g/f. Can't wait to have a nice shakedown hike and take tons of pics.

endubyu
04-12-2011, 16:12
I'll be there for a couple of days next week my self

Buffalo Skipper
04-13-2011, 13:10
OK, not being familiar with this area, can anyone suggest a campsite within 1-2 miles of a trailhead which can be easily accessed in the dark?

Just looking for ideas, as our party will be arriving probably around 10pm

endubyu
04-13-2011, 13:18
You may have this link already but ... http://www.sipseywilderness.org/trails/index.html

As Karo suggested, Thompson Creek is probably your best option but I haven't been in a while. I'll be there Tuesday/Wednesday and can give better advise then. When are you going exactly?

endubyu
04-13-2011, 13:21
checkout the Borden TH also

Buffalo Skipper
04-13-2011, 14:29
endubyu, we will be going on Memorial Day weekend (hope that does not make it too crowded?). It will be a small group of scouts. No more than 8 total (2a-6y). Will be following strict LNT. I have never been to the Sipsey, so I want to be able to suggest routes to the scouts to plan. I saw the page you suggested, and found another with some camping info, but it was vague at best. It only said there were good camping spots on xxs trail, or not.

Being as we will arrive at night, we were looking for an easy to access camp in the wilderness area away from the trailhead. This is mostly "experienced" scouts with 4-6 backpack trips under their belt, two of which included a 1 and 2 mile night backpack to camp.

This is the first opportunity to cut their teeth with a small group in a wilderness area, away from well prepared trails.

paistes5
04-13-2011, 16:35
Do you have to camp in designated areas or can I camp anywhere in Sipsey?

hikingshoes
04-13-2011, 16:56
Map with gps coordinates (http://www.briartech.com/sipseyonepagea.pdf)
More coordinates (http://www.gpstreks.com/Sipsey.htm)
Suggestion: Park at Thompson Creek trailhead and hike to Ship Rock/Eye of the Needle and camp. Dayhike to mouth of Bee Creek and upstream to East Bee to Falls and the Big Tree. Please observe and follow any fire restrictions and LNT.

I had a track saved of that trip last time I went there, Ill see if I can figure out how to send it to you.

LOL, karo your on the money brother. i was going to send that website as well. If you take Thompson Creek trail and your going to take TL209 the sign is a cross the creek. We miss it when we was there this winter. We had a very nice rock over hang to cook under and camp too.
HS

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 12:54
OK, not being familiar with this area, can anyone suggest a campsite within 1-2 miles of a trailhead which can be easily accessed in the dark?

From any of the 3 major THs (Sipsey, Borden, Thompson) there are lots of campsites nearby. For a group of 8, I'd suggest hiking up from Sipsey on FT 200 to the Borden-Sipsey junction or to the Ship Rock area from Thompson. There are also some nice campsite about 1/4 mile from the Thompson TH (I found these in the dark too).

karo
04-20-2011, 17:53

The hike in to Ship Rock/Eye of the Needle has glow in the dark tacks in the trees and is easy to follow. First time I went on that hike it was dusk and night hiking is a no no for me, well most of the time. Be sure to take a right after crossing White Oak Hollow or you will end up there. Let us know how the trip goes.:welcome

karo
04-20-2011, 17:57
If you are going on Memorial Day weekend, I would arrive asap to get a campsite.

karo
04-20-2011, 18:01
Do you have to camp in designated areas or can I camp anywhere in Sipsey?
You can camp anywhere in Sipsey, but I strongly suggest to keep on trails if possible, i.e. don't get lost as it is a BIG area. Also there are many archealogical sites in the area, so please Leave No Trace.

Buffalo Skipper
04-21-2011, 15:38
The hike in to Ship Rock/Eye of the Needle has glow in the dark tacks in the trees and is easy to follow. First time I went on that hike it was dusk and night hiking is a no no for me, well most of the time. Be sure to take a right after crossing White Oak Hollow or you will end up there. Let us know how the trip goes.:welcome

Thanks for the tips. We will keep them in mind as we make our plans.

If you are going on Memorial Day weekend, I would arrive asap to get a campsite.

It looks like we may back the trip up a week or two. I will keep you posted.

You can camp anywhere in Sipsey, but I strongly suggest to keep on trails if possible, i.e. don't get lost as it is a BIG area. Also there are many archealogical sites in the area, so please Leave No Trace.

One of the reasons I was hoping to keep this was such a small group was to do this as a LNT trek. Two of our scout leaders (and close personal friends) are LNT trainers and one is a Master Trainer, so our scouts, especially the older ones, are well educated on LNT and the impact of not following said rules. I have heard amazing things about this area, I would not want to leave an unnatural footprint on it when we leave.

hikingshoes
04-21-2011, 15:56
endubyu, we will be going on Memorial Day weekend (hope that does not make it too crowded?). It will be a small group of scouts. No more than 8 total (2a-6y). Will be following strict LNT. I have never been to the Sipsey, so I want to be able to suggest routes to the scouts to plan. I saw the page you suggested, and found another with some camping info, but it was vague at best. It only said there were good camping spots on xxs trail, or not.

Being as we will arrive at night, we were looking for an easy to access camp in the wilderness area away from the trailhead. This is mostly "experienced" scouts with 4-6 backpack trips under their belt, two of which included a 1 and 2 mile night backpack to camp.

This is the first opportunity to cut their teeth with a small group in a wilderness area, away from well prepared trails.

I know there a lot of Hammock hanger's in the area as well. Check out: http://www.hammockforums.net and shot them a post. Enjoy your hike. HS

paistes5
04-21-2011, 21:55
The girlfriend and I are nature lovers and I'm a picture hound, we will be doing LNT and enjoying the area as much as possible and will leave it that way for others as well. Also, thanks for the advice about camping near the trail.

Any word on how bad the snakes are right now? I heard the rattlesnakes were pretty bad right now.

paistes5
04-27-2011, 08:48
Had a great time in the wilderness but there are so many blow downs in places from a tornado that went through there that some trails were impassable. I had a couple of great campsites and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. We ended up doing 26 miles in the three days we were there. Great place for a nice backpacking trip.

The Solemates
07-25-2011, 12:13
i just did a brief overview of my trip to sipsey this weekend. check it out on my blog.