PDA

View Full Version : bears/bear canister

Sterling
04-05-2011, 17:30
Just wanted to see what kind of unfortunate/nightmarish encounters people have had throughout various states along the AT with bears. I have hiked a good number of miles on the AT in PA, NJ, NH, and ME. I have never had an encounter in ME,NH, or PA, but I have had a food bag ripped down from solid hang in NJ (near catfish pond).

I have also had two hellacious experiences in the high peaks of the Adirondacks with some of the most evolved black bears you would ever care to see. I have never been back to the high peaks because you literally have to run a gauntlet of bears and rangers for the duration of your trip. I hope someone can back me on that one.

Anyway, shortly after the last daks trip i bought a bear canister, and have had zero issues. It is bulky, kind of expensive, and adds 2-3 pounds to your load. Let me tell you none of that matters to me. Here is why:

-no stress when you get into camp having to throw a hang.
-no stress going to sleep wondering if you will have food in the morning
-the bear canister is also a seat
-did i mention no stress

Also wanted to see who will have a bear canister on the AT.

Going SOBO mid june.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2011, 17:36
never seen anyone with a canister on the AT. it's not needed. i've never hung food to protect it from bears. never had it taken from my tent. no stress

WingedMonkey
04-05-2011, 17:50
Only used one in Denali, had to to get the permit. Don't hold much, but hey they got real bears out there.
:sun

LoneRidgeRunner
04-05-2011, 18:13
Since it's not Denali I can only assume the bears I've seen in GSMNP and Mt. Mitchell and the one that ran out in front of my car about 8 miles east of the TN, NC line on Interstate 40 weren't "real" bears... hmm coulda fooled me... never had an issue with bears though....But then again I suppose the big sow with the 2 cubs I walked up on on Welch Ridge in the Smokes weren't "real" either.... just had to point that out... I've always hung my food in plain bags and never had it stolen ..but "fake" bears can't steal food because they aren't really there ..lol..

leaftye
04-05-2011, 18:33
I can totally understand, but you should seriously consider carrying an Ursack.

WingedMonkey
04-05-2011, 18:35
Did you use bear canister on Interstate 40?

blitz1
04-05-2011, 18:44
I've used bear canisters out west (doesn't everyone?) but never in the east. done ~ 2/3 or so of the AT section hiking, saw black bear several times, but never lost any food. I've always used bear boxes or cables where provided, otherwise usually sleep with food in tent.

pafarmboy
04-05-2011, 18:51
Leave the canister at home and learn the PCT method. No worries...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html

pafarmboy
04-05-2011, 19:03

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html

BTW, forget the stick and trying to tie a clove hitch while reaching as high as possible. THAT is a PITA. I use a small piece of aluminum for the stick and a cord lock to avoid the tieing. Works like a charm and weighs 3 oz total (caribiner, cord, aluminum and cord lock)

Tipi Walter
04-05-2011, 19:31
I was on a long backpacking trip south of the Smokies back in June of 2010, and a bear got a hold of my food-stuffed BearVault and gave it a good chew. Fotog below.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/10065/tj10065%5F063010%5F002700%5F544958.jpg

He worried it to death but never actually opened it.

Blissful
04-05-2011, 19:39
Don't need one going SOBO. But if I were going through GA in the spring /summer I'd probably carry one. Bears are too used to food bags and food smells the last couple of years.

I'll carry my first one on the JMT this summer. ugh

WingedMonkey
04-05-2011, 20:19
I was on a long backpacking trip south of the Smokies back in June of 2010, and a bear got a hold of my food-stuffed BearVault and gave it a good chew. Fotog below.
He worried it to death but never actually opened it.

Tipi, just curious how you had it stored? Was anything on top of it? I've never believed a bear couldn't move a rock I could move.

LoneRidgeRunner
04-05-2011, 20:24
Did you use bear canister on Interstate 40?

No....the fake bear saw my fake Oldsmobile coming at him at 70 mph and turned himself / herself inside out getting back into the fake woods...:D

ChinMusic
04-05-2011, 20:57
never seen anyone with a canister on the AT. it's not needed. i've never hung food to protect it from bears. never had it taken from my tent. no stress
A buddy of mine carried a Bearikade for his entire thru in 2004. His logic was for an additional 2 pounds he didn't have to even think about bears, mice, or other varmints getting to his food. He didn't have to spend time in camp trying to find that perfect tree and then the perfect throw. To him the extra two pounds was worth it.

It worked for him.

Personally, I'm with you. I bring my food in my tent. I do use cables if they are handy but I won't hang if cables are not present.

Ender
04-05-2011, 21:02
When I was on the PCT, I actually grew to like my bear canister. When I got to camp I had a great camp stool to sit on at all times. That said, it was heavy, and I was glad to give it up when I did. Still, if I had a lighter weight version, I'd consider carrying it the whole way.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2011, 21:03
A buddy of mine carried a Bearikade for his entire thru in 2004. His logic was for an additional 2 pounds he didn't have to even think about bears, mice, or other varmints getting to his food. He didn't have to spend time in camp trying to find that perfect tree and then the perfect throw.

for 2 lbs. less i don't worry either. don't think about no critters. don't filter or treat water neither. heck, no poles for my bad knees. i'm a stress free walker.

works for me

ChinMusic
04-05-2011, 21:14
When I was on the PCT, I actually grew to like my bear canister. When I got to camp I had a great camp stool to sit on at all times.
I have used my Bearikade out West and in Alaska. Alaska for freaking sure. Heck, we didn't take a dump without having a "spotter".

For those areas without any nature seating the can does come in handy as a seat.

I, personally, can't see taking it on the AT, but I have no fear of taking my food in my tent. I'll even take my partner's food in my tent if they can't find a good tree. If I did have such a fear I think the can would be a decent option to the chore of hanging. We do hear EVERY year about folks losing their food to poor hanging. Proper hanging can be difficult at times, especially if one had rotator cuff issues.......;)

Ender
04-05-2011, 21:23
I, personally, can't see taking it on the AT,

Yeah, me neither... I've always kept my food in my tent on the AT, or hung/boxed in areas with bear poles/boxes. But PCT if I found a light enough option, I would consider it.

Tipi Walter
04-05-2011, 22:15
Tipi, just curious how you had it stored? Was anything on top of it? I've never believed a bear couldn't move a rock I could move.

I had my vault stored in a cache behind a tree rootball for a later pickup on a long 18 day trip, so it wasn't actually in my camp when it happened. The bear rolled it about 150 feet and I found it in some high grass where I figured the bear would be waiting to eat the owner of a bear vault. Bear 1 Hominid 0.

WingedMonkey
04-05-2011, 22:37
I had my vault stored in a cache behind a tree rootball for a later pickup on a long 18 day trip, so it wasn't actually in my camp when it happened. The bear rolled it about 150 feet and I found it in some high grass where I figured the bear would be waiting to eat the owner of a bear vault. Bear 1 Hominid 0.

Now that's magic, the fact that you found it. From what I've seen of your blogs and photos, part of you probably wishes you could have watched him play ball with it. (from a safe distance)

Jim Adams
04-05-2011, 23:36
On the AT your biggest food problem is mice not bears. The cannister would solve that problem for sure but I wouldn't carry mine on the AT...I hated using it on the PCT where you actually needed it.

geek

Jim Adams
04-05-2011, 23:38
BTW, Had a local man mauled by a bear tonight about 4 miles from the station I am working in. Had to fly him to Pittsburgh.

geek

blitz1
04-06-2011, 05:29
BTW, Had a local man mauled by a bear tonight about 4 miles from the station I am working in. Had to fly him to Pittsburgh.

geek

was he sleeping in a tent with his food at the time? :eek:

daddytwosticks
04-06-2011, 07:18
I use an Ursak Minor bag and hang my food to keep it away from mice and other critters. The bag weighs about 3 or 4 ounces. :)

Sterling
04-06-2011, 10:20
glad hear some good feedback. i guess the canister is a bit overkill for most people hiking the AT. Though it does seem reasonable for at least a few parts of the trail based on some of the responses. All in all I guess it comes down to personal preference, and what kinds of experiences you have had with bears. At this point im pretty sure im still gonna carry it, but that may change. It was great to hear everyones input and experiences regarding bears.

TACKLE
04-06-2011, 11:15

Thanks for the link. I always wondered how to do the PCT method. Like you said,it looks easier. I'm gonna go try it now. Although I'll miss that after dinner sport of hanging my food bag.

RichardD
04-06-2011, 12:13
I am hiking the AT right now, zero in Franklin today. There have been a LOT of people this year who have lost their food to bears. I don't know how well they hung their food but it was taken. The report is that some were even lost from bear cables at shelters.
We have hung food from trees twice, the rest of the time from cables, we took a lot of trouble to hang food between two trees rather than from a branch and have had no problems. That said, if I knew at the start of the hike that so many were losing food I would have brought my cannister with me, I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing I would have food in the morning.
Many hikers have resorted to sleeping with their food, I know that MOST of the time you are secure doing this, but its not for me.
I have only seen one person using a cannister and he is very happy that he has it.

ChinMusic
04-06-2011, 13:22
I am hiking the AT right now, zero in Franklin today. There have been a LOT of people this year who have lost their food to bears. I don't know how well they hung their food but it was taken. The report is that some were even lost from bear cables at shelters.

Aside from the problems of lost food for the hikers, that creates problem bears which often leads to their death.

I didn't know bears were defeating some cables for crying out loud. Those things are installed by folks that know a thing or two about bears. I don't know how the bears would do that. If that becomes commonplace I'll quit using those too.

If I were not comfortable with food in my tent I might consider the can.

mountainboogey
04-06-2011, 13:51
Just wanted to see what kind of unfortunate/nightmarish encounters people have had throughout various states along the AT with bears. I have hiked a good number of miles on the AT in PA, NJ, NH, and ME. I have never had an encounter in ME,NH, or PA, but I have had a food bag ripped down from solid hang in NJ (near catfish pond).

I have also had two hellacious experiences in the high peaks of the Adirondacks with some of the most evolved black bears you would ever care to see. I have never been back to the high peaks because you literally have to run a gauntlet of bears and rangers for the duration of your trip. I hope someone can back me on that one.

Anyway, shortly after the last daks trip i bought a bear canister, and have had zero issues. It is bulky, kind of expensive, and adds 2-3 pounds to your load. Let me tell you none of that matters to me. Here is why:

-no stress when you get into camp having to throw a hang.
-no stress going to sleep wondering if you will have food in the morning
-the bear canister is also a seat
-did i mention no stress

Also wanted to see who will have a bear canister on the AT.

Going SOBO mid june.

I always (and have to) use it in the ADKs. No issues so far, but it looks like a curious fella took a bite. Ive never seen a bear in the ADKs but plenty of prints and scat.
Im not sure about the AT though. Im planning a NOBO next year and will at least be using an Ursack. If there was a lighter option than my Garcia canister, I would deff consider it though. Just for peace of mind anyway...

ScottP
04-06-2011, 15:19
Bears will eventually learn to get food down from most cable systems. It sounds like bear boxes are going to have to be installed in problem areas and more land is going to have to be opened up to bear hunting.

ChinMusic
04-06-2011, 15:24
Bears will eventually learn to get food down from most cable systems. It sounds like bear boxes are going to have to be installed in problem areas and more land is going to have to be opened up to bear hunting.

Why was there a decision to go with bear cables over bear boxes in the first place? Is it a cost issue? logistics?

WingedMonkey
04-06-2011, 16:07
Why was there a decision to go with bear cables over bear boxes in the first place? Is it a cost issue? logistics?

Probably because they become trash boxes instead of food boxes. They also require almost as much construction and hauling of materials as a miniature shelter.

LDog
04-06-2011, 16:21

Not Miss Janet's recent experience:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71251

WingedMonkey
04-06-2011, 16:43
more land is going to have to be opened up to bear hunting.

I'm not against hunting about every one in my family hunts. Bear hunting is allowed on almost all public lands in North Georgia and hundreds of bears are harvested. It will never be allowed in SMNP.
Most bears killed in North Georgia are killed by deer hunters who are a bit on the lazy side and sitting in tree stands when they spot a bear by accident.
Most hunters are not going to walk miles into the woods and up ridges to kill a bear that weighs 200 to 300 pounds they have to drag or cary back to the truck. They don't drag easy.
It's not a bear problem on the trail, it's a people problem.

vamelungeon
04-06-2011, 16:54
It's actually a problem of bears not being afraid of people. That's the crux of the issue.

ChinMusic
04-06-2011, 17:16
It's actually a problem of bears not being afraid of people. That's the crux of the issue.
IMO they only become less afraid once they gain success at stealing poorly hung food and nothing bad happens to them.

IMO, without the reward of poorly hung food they remain afraid.

ScottP
04-06-2011, 17:17
I believe that cables are far cheaper than getting bearboxes into the backcountry.

I can't really speak on wildlife and hunting issues with any sort of expertise, but from a hiker perspective, animal behavior is significantly different in areas where hunting is allowed, hunting dog training is allowed, and the wildlife is 'protected.'

The idea of 'natural and uninterfered processes' is pretty much a joke. I'm not sure why our parks are categorically closed to hunting, but I don't think that they should be. IMO the function of allowing/expanding hunting is more to change animal behavior than it is to change animal populations.

RichardD
04-06-2011, 17:55
The story from those who lost their food off the bear cables, apparently the bear shook the cables until the food packs fell off the hooks. Many shelters have bear lines with carabiners on the food end as well as the securing end but some only have hooks at the food end. Carabiners both ends would likely be a cheap and easy fix that should work.
One hiker watched as one bear pushed the tree while the second bear grabbed the food bag, if his tale is true then my guess is that cannisters are likely going to be required sometime in the future as they are in the Sierras.
Another hiker watched as a bear walked up to his line and with one swipe cut the line at the attachment point and the bags fell to the ground.
Another story a bear crawled out along the limb to which the line was attached and swiped the line, cutting it and the food fell to the ground (PCT method would not have helped here).

TIDE-HSV
04-06-2011, 18:47
The Big Creek ranger used to have a photo of a bear stretched out along the cable. One back paw was at the tree. The other back paw was on top of the cable as was one front paw, while he reached for the bag. The bear baffle didn't faze him. They have modified the cables as they've gained more experience. One drawback to the cables is the mice climb the cable from the tree. I have a hole in the bottom of a new pack now. I'd left the unused cables hanging. One of my friends, being a neat and tidy engineer didn't like that, and, after I'd gone to bed, he hooked up the empty one, snugging it up against the bottom of my pack and forming a mouse highway...