PDA

View Full Version : Five Day Hike SOBO hike ending in western Massachusetts.

Bud Nuggets
04-05-2011, 17:37
Hello all! Let me introduce myself to the forum. I'm Melvin (Buddy) and have not yet been given a trail name because I have not hiked the AT at all. I do have hiking and camping experience, though.

My straight forward question is as follows: I live in eastern Massachusetts so making the trip up for a day hike would be a little unreasonable. I was considering having someone drop me off a little up North and then heading southbound to be picked up in the region of western Massachusetts, maybe North Adams. So given an average hiking speed and the right gear, where up North do you suppose I should be dropped off in order to be picked up in Massachusetts? I would want the hike to be worthwhile, so I am thinking a Monday to Friday hike would be good.

Any suggestions would be great!

Bud

Leanthree
04-05-2011, 18:05
Hello all! Let me introduce myself to the forum. I'm Melvin (Buddy) and have not yet been given a trail name because I have not hiked the AT at all. I do have hiking and camping experience, though.

My straight forward question is as follows: I live in eastern Massachusetts so making the trip up for a day hike would be a little unreasonable. I was considering having someone drop me off a little up North and then heading southbound to be picked up in the region of western Massachusetts, maybe North Adams. So given an average hiking speed and the right gear, where up North do you suppose I should be dropped off in order to be picked up in Massachusetts? I would want the hike to be worthwhile, so I am thinking a Monday to Friday hike would be good.

Any suggestions would be great!

Bud

Just a thought, but if your parent or friend is picking you up and doesn't care where it is in that general area, you could meet them at the summit of Mt Graylock (with them driving to the top). Could be kind of a cool way to end your trip and is only 6 trail miles south of North Adams and would give your ride something to look forward to other than your trail odor.

Driver8
04-05-2011, 18:23
Important questions:

1. How much have you hiked before, and what kind of condition are you in?

2. How much have you camped out, and in what conditions? What's your gear set-up?

3. When do you plan to make the hike?

Assuming you're ready for the conditions and in sufficient shape with sufficient geat, I'd say a hike from Stratton to Greylock would be fun. Greylock's summit roads don't open until around Memorial Day. I agree with Leanthree, though, that hiking to its summit (if roads are open) or over it to Cheshire would be very nice. The summit affords superb views on a clear day - I saw Mt. Washington from up there twice last September - and Saddleball is gorgeous with a deep green boreal spruce and fir forest.

I'd say a hike from Stratton area would be great. Its summit tower also has superb views - it's the highest peak in New England south of Killington. You could get dropped at the ski resort, then hike or take a ski lift to the north summit (I hear it's free for hikers), go to the fire tower at the south summit and join the AT, then make your way south from there.

Bud Nuggets
04-05-2011, 22:52
Thanks for the tip guys, I will definitely take that into consideration. As to the questions posted, I am in decent physical shape and have most of the sufficient gear. I plan to get into better shape and gather more necessary gear, as I do not plan on doing this trip until the summer because I am in school until mid-May. I just would like to get this trip planned out a bit ahead of time because preparation is key. Plus, it gives me something to get excited about! :D

OldFeet
04-06-2011, 08:58
If you start at route 30 north of Stratton it's 40 miles to Vermont route 9 and then another 18, l believe, to North Adams. That would be just under 12 miles per day for a five day hike and the shelter spacing along this route should work out well. Once you've made the climb south from route 9 it's pretty easy hiking the rest of the way into North Adams.

Blissful
04-06-2011, 16:45
Beware the trail up from North Adams SOBO to Greylock is tough. I might end at North Adams. Problem is the hiking in Vermont will be mud galore early in the summer season. I had no mud at all in Sept.

Driver8
04-06-2011, 16:57
Problem is the hiking in Vermont will be mud galore early in the summer season. I had no mud at all in Sept.

Yeah, Bud, the Green Mountain Club strongly discourages hiking its trails in May and June until the mud dries up. Keep that in mind.