PDA

View Full Version : Cold Nights...

halibut15
01-18-2005, 19:24
This recent cold snap in the East brings up the thought: what's the coldest temperature you've ever camped in, and where (along the AT or elsewhere)? Mine was 15 degrees at Sassafras Gap in NC, with chunks of ice blowing off the trees in insane wind, but I'm sure others have been in much colder.

chris
01-18-2005, 20:11
-25 centigrade in a teahouse in Nepal.

orangebug
01-18-2005, 21:19
Asheville airport reported -10F back in March 2001 when I was stranded in Tricorner Knob Shelter near a ridgeline. Frankly, I didn't want to know how cold it was. I awoke to a frozen mouse one morning, and decided it was time to head out.

neo
01-18-2005, 21:25
i spent 3 nights at hobbs cabin at savage gulf in tennessee.the first night was +5 degrees,second night was 0,third night was - 5 degrees,snow and ice every where,i loved it:sun neo

David S.
01-19-2005, 10:44
14 degrees on my back deck testing out a new bag...but that don't really count. :)

Morning Glory
01-19-2005, 11:04
I'm not sure, but I'm positive I'll experience my coldest trip this weekend. Gonna be camping near Unaka Mtn. near Erwin.

lightning
01-19-2005, 11:05
snow last sunday (during MLK w'end). mt rogers nra: thermometer measured 18 outside @ dinner time. 15 inside the tent in the early morning. likely single-digits outside. we were camped approx 4300 ft along the lewis fork on cliffside trail.

Fiddleback
01-19-2005, 11:16
-14F in Shenandoah NP (don't remember exactly where...it was in 1982 or '83). We were carrying a Peak 1 stove at the time...a big honker which came in pretty handy. I fashioned an oven out of foil and thawed out my rock hard boots with the Peak.

FB

The Solemates
01-19-2005, 11:21
I dont know the exact temperatures because all I carry is a little zipper thermometer, and then only at times, but end of December, 2000, atop Cold Mtn in Pisgah, NC, it was around -10F and with 18" of snow and steady winds of 30-40mph.

Additionally, on our thru, Feb 7 (or so) at Muskrat Creek Shelter along the NC AT, it was about -5F and 6" of snow.

We have been skiing in CO before when the temperature at the ski summit has dropped to around -10F with about 50mph winds as well (but we soon left for the bottom, where it was about 15F).

quantum
01-19-2005, 17:37
Took a group from the high school outing club for some winter camping in Cornwall (Connecticut) a couple years ago. Temp got down to -7 F. Next morning not a single complaint.

mdjeeper
01-19-2005, 20:13
coldest night camping on the AT was in VA just north of the roller coaster back in 93, dropped to about -5, survived quite comfortably in my marlboro miles tent, navy issue thermals and cant remember the sleeping bag brand, but it was "rated" ( :jump ) for 10f.

Kerosene
01-19-2005, 21:32
Two other threads related to this topic:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2990

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2991

restless
01-19-2005, 21:43
The coldest night I've had was about 5 or 6 years ago at Thomas Knob Sheleter in the Grayson Highlands. The temp was about -5 and I was able to calculate the wind chill outside the shelter at -35. needlessto sat, I took the shortest route off the mountain that morning.

GolfHiker
01-21-2005, 20:27
How about last Sunday night at the Apple House shelter, off of Hump Mountain in the Roan Highlands. Zero for sure, less if you count the wind. We actually set up tents on Hump, but scooted off the mt. when the 50 mph winds & snow came on us. A nice hike to the Shelter, and Monday AM was cold.... brrrrrrrr.

Youngblood
01-22-2005, 07:34
How about last Sunday night at the Apple House shelter, off of Hump Mountain in the Roan Highlands. Zero for sure, less if you count the wind. We actually set up tents on Hump, but scooted off the mt. when the 50 mph winds & snow came on us. A nice hike to the Shelter, and Monday AM was cold.... brrrrrrrr.
Just curious... I thought most folks tried to get off the peaks to a more wind protected area in the winter. What where you thinking when you decided to set up tents on Hump Mtn in the middle of January? Glad you made it okay, did you have a good trip?

I remember one winter trip on the Bartram Trail a few years back where I was stuck on an exposed ridge because about 30(?) scouts from SC decided to converge at Wine Spring Gap and over ran all lower lying camping spots. The wind was blowing about 25 mph with occasionally gusts above that for most of the night and it got into the low teens. I was hiking with a girl friend and had my Stephenson's 2R tent. Couldn't quite get the footend pointed into the wind but the tent held up... I was glad I had it.

Youngblood

GolfHiker
01-22-2005, 14:27
Youngblood. It was part of our original plan to tent on Hump Mt., and if we had the same weather on Sun., that we had Sat., it would have been okay.. Cold, but okay. But as you know, weather moves quick in the mts., so we made the right choice to pack up & head on down the trail... I can say I missed the AM sunrise, which would have been spectacular, but I don't miss being frozen, and hiking out in 4-6 inches on Monday AM with sub 0 temps. Maybe next year. As for the other days, the trip was great... not high miles, but views, views, and more views. Just what we hoped for. :sun