PDA

View Full Version : Dry Sacks

Sierra Echo
04-05-2011, 20:04
Whats the best brand to get for my clothes? Also what is a good size?
I really only plan to carry a change of clothes, base layers, two pairs of socks and my bloomers. All of these things work best when dry! ;)

Papa D
04-05-2011, 20:13
Sea to Summit - 8 liter size should be perfect for clothing you described

Tinker
04-05-2011, 21:36
A plastic bag inside a regular stuffsack is all you need. A drysack is overkill.
Northwest River Systems makes a complete line of drysacks. I'd avise against the eVent sacks (in case you're considering them. They suck air back into themselves, and I can't help but imagine some dampness gets in too.

Sierra Echo
04-05-2011, 21:41
I was just looking at the eVents! I wasn't considering buying one, I just like to look at all the options.

johnnyjohnson2043
04-05-2011, 21:42
I second Sea to Summit.

Sierra Echo
04-05-2011, 21:43
Sea to Summit - 8 liter size should be perfect for clothing you described

8 liters does indeed look like a good size. I'm thinking though that I might want to go one size up just to keep my options open if I want to end up taking more clothes on a longer trip. They compress/roll down don't they?

johnnyjohnson2043
04-05-2011, 21:45
They roll down but you want to make sure you have enough fabric to roll at least three times or they don't close properly.

Sierra Echo
04-05-2011, 21:50
They roll down but you want to make sure you have enough fabric to roll at least three times or they don't close properly.

So then it would probably be better to go a size bigger?

johnnyjohnson2043
04-05-2011, 22:03
13L is the next size up and you would be adding only about .2oz. If you don't think you can fit your stuff in an 8L then I'd say go up.

STICK
04-05-2011, 22:08
Check out the Mountainfitter.com Cuben Fiber Dry Sacks (http://www.mountainfitter.com/Packing/Mountainfitter-Cuben-Fiber-CTF3-Drybags-p508.html). Fairly priced and they are offered in numerous sizes. Great service as well!

johnnyjohnson2043
04-05-2011, 22:12
I keep hearing about this Cuben Fiber stuff. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for it if its as good as everybody is claiming (stronger, lighter).

STICK
04-05-2011, 22:20
Those Mountainfitter Dry Sacks are only a couple dollars more than the S2S ones, but way lighter. And sure it's only by an oz or 2, but hey, they add up right? Plus, it's not like we are talking hundreds of dollars on a cuben tent or anything, but rather ~ $20 for a dry sack. Great introduction to cuben...

I have a few pieces of cuben fiber gear and am happy with them. looking forward to getting more...

sixguns01
04-05-2011, 22:22
I keep hearing about this Cuben Fiber stuff. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for it if its as good as everybody is claiming (stronger, lighter).

I picked up Mountainfitter's 10 liter Cuben Fiber dry sacks. Weigh about an ounce and have held up great for the past year. Kept my clothes dry as hell in downpours. I also use one for my food/Bear bag hanging kit. Kept my food dry in the same downpour.

Lawson Kline, Mountainfitter, has great customer service as well

johnnyjohnson2043
04-05-2011, 22:27
Next time I'm in the market for new dry sacks I'll keep those in mind. Thanks for the info.

grayfox
04-05-2011, 22:36
8 liters does indeed look like a good size. I'm thinking though that I might want to go one size up just to keep my options open if I want to end up taking more clothes on a longer trip. They compress/roll down don't they?

I like my S2S bags. They have held up well.

The best reason to size up is so the resulting package can be soft and tuck in the odd spaces in your pack rather than beng a hard cylinder that is difficult to pack around. And it is always nice to have enough room for down or fleece in cooler seasons.