PDA

View Full Version : Walking the Backbone - A Backpacking Light article

Mags
04-05-2011, 20:43
An article I wrote for Backpacking Light (http://www.backpackinglight.com/). A photo essay and a brief synopsis of the lightweight backpacking gear I used from the trail.
Check it out! (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/walking_the_backbone_cdt.html)

garlic08
04-05-2011, 20:52
I checked it out, Mags!

Very nicely done.

grayfox
04-05-2011, 23:04
Very nice.

Also enjoyed your gear evolution list.

Beautiful pictures--right place right time how lucky!

Storm
04-05-2011, 23:21
Mags, all I can say is DANG

skinewmexico
04-05-2011, 23:21
Cool. I read the "7 myths of the CDT", but missed that somehow.

Grampsb
04-06-2011, 00:53
Nice article

Wolf - 23000
04-06-2011, 02:34
Hey Mag,

Great Pictures. It was a new look at the CDT.

I would have write an article for backpackinglight too but I think I carry to much weight. :D

Wolf

Grits
04-06-2011, 05:58
Awesome pictures Mags

nitewalker
04-06-2011, 06:03
good stuff mags.

Marta
04-06-2011, 07:00
Wonderful!

Mags
04-06-2011, 07:14
Hey Mag,

Great Pictures. It was a new look at the CDT.

I would have write an article for backpackinglight too but I think I carry to much weight. :D

Wolf

If you notice, I really didn't focus on the gear too much. :)

Gear is probably the least important part of the outdoors. :)

Thanks for the kinds words all!

Gray Blazer
04-06-2011, 09:24
You da man!

Buffalo Skipper
04-06-2011, 10:00
Mags,
I really liked the weight chart/hike. That is a very telling list, but may I pick your brain a little on it?

From AT98 to LT99 you went from a base of 28 lbs to 17 lbs. But much of your list was little changed. You did switch packs, and you switched cookware and stove, went from Nalgenes to Gatoraid bottles/Cantene, and you switched your raincoat. You also mentioned that you kept pretty much the same clothes. So how do you account for the remaining 11 lbs?

No being critical, just curious. I am scrutinizing much of my gear very carefully. I dropped 10 lbs from my total this past year (without a pack change) and I am working at reducing another 5-8 lbs by switching to lighter gear.

Thanks for the insight.

Trailbender
04-06-2011, 11:05

I agree. Every time someone new to backpacking gets interested, they always start by asking about gear. I prefer talking about my hikes and experiences.

Ewker
04-06-2011, 11:49
I liked how your gear list changed from your 1st trip to the last. Glad someone got you to do that :p

halftime
04-06-2011, 12:07
great article

Wolf - 23000
04-06-2011, 12:20

Amen to that!!! Focusing on gear is kind of silly if you ask me. Everyone is going to do it different and it is all personal preference.

Great article! Now I want to do the CDT.

Wolf

Mags
04-06-2011, 13:51
Mags,
I really liked the weight chart/hike. That is a very telling list, but may I pick
your brain a little on it?

From AT98 to LT99 you went from a base of 28 lbs to 17 lbs.]

By all means!

The pack alone was neary a 4-5 lbs difference (IIRC, the EMS 5500 was approx 7-8 lbs, the Scirroco was about 3 lbs!) Got rid of the MSR cookset to the alum pot. Went from an MSR Whisperlight to a homemade alchy stove. Ditched the steel fuel bottle for a soda bottle for holding fuel. 12 oz saved by switching water bottles. Went to a trash bag vs a pack cover. Ditched the minimag light for a Photon light, Etc. Etc. Basically,it was the LITTLE things that added up. Shave 2-3 oz here and there (if not more) and everything adds up. I also took less clothing too than I did on the AT now that I think about it. (Same clothing, just one pair of shorts instead of two for example! Likewise with a hiking shirt) It is more of an overview list and admittedly not very detailed. Ounces add up to pounds. After hiking the AT, I seriously started looking at my gear.

Hope that makes sense. :)

I do remember hiking the LT and people commenting on how little my pack was! Today, it be considered on the higher side of average for many LD hikers.

You can see a more detailed list here.
http://www.pmags.com/mags-gear-list

Yes Ewker, someone hinted one time a few years back. ;)

Fog Horn
04-06-2011, 13:58
I love the sunrise picture at the end, with its amazing colors. What kind of camera did you take with you on that trip?

Mags
04-06-2011, 14:10
I love the sunrise picture at the end, with its amazing colors. What kind of camera did you take with you on that trip?

I forget the exact model, but it was 5MP Canon camera.

What I'd do now with my DSLR..but that just means more hiking trips!

The sunrise photo is one of my favorite photos as well.

oso loco
04-07-2011, 00:45
Amen to that!!! Focusing on gear is kind of silly if you ask me. Everyone is going to do it different and it is all personal preference.

Great article! Now I want to do the CDT.

Wolf

You're long overdue, Wolf. Go for it ASAP. :)

Jim

Wolf - 23000
04-07-2011, 01:55

Jim

Yea I am long over due for a CDT Thru-Hike. The problem with it is right now there are 2 wars still going on and I don't see the Army letting me go anytime soon.

Wolf

Buffalo Skipper
04-07-2011, 09:33
Thanks Mags. That does explain a bit more than was obviouis in the table, especially in the backpack water bottles and stove (you wrote "whisperlite" and I thought "pocket rocket--my bad).

It still gives me ideas of what I do and do not need for myself.

Mags
04-07-2011, 09:58
Thanks Mags. That does explain a bit more than was obviouis in the table, especially in the backpack water bottles and stove (you wrote "whisperlite" and I thought "pocket rocket--my bad).

It still gives me ideas of what I do and do not need for myself.

No worries!

Yeah, the old stove set (a 'real' cookpot, stove and steel fuel bottle) counts for probably nearly 2+ lbs of weight alone! Just switching to a lighter pack and a different stove setup saved at least 7lbs. :)

Since I was functionally doing the same thing (boiling two cups of water and carrying the gear) this was a no-brainer for saving weight.

As I said though, don't sweat it too much. Granted, there is more info available now then even five years ago (and off the shelf lightweight gear), but it took me many years and miles to get to where I am now.

The best part of my approach is that it means I was able do a lot of backpacking to tweak my system. :)

Jim

It's the only long trail I'd do again. Though there are parts of the AT and the PCT I would love to do again (High Sierra, Cascades, Maine in the Fall), I suspect a thru-hike would not be radically different from my first time on those trails so another thru-hike on the AT or PCT does not appeal to me. (Note, I said me all! ;) )

A hike on the CDT? So many routes to choose from, so much new trail built, different options to try out..it would be a different hike to say the least!!!