PDA

View Full Version : 2012 planning

billygut
04-05-2011, 20:44
ok heres where i get a little nervous.im thru hiking alone,and trying to find out a itinerary so to speak,where to hike to on each day.how to get to towns to resupply every 3 to 5 days.im thinking 5 days at the most.all i know so far is im starting in springer mountain and looks like the first leg is 8 miles.i will be sleeping with a tarp and trying to avoid shelters.i dont really want a plan but a rough idea of how to hike this.where to resupply how far to go each day.im leaving the first week of april and would like to be in maine no later then the end of august.thanks

Storm
04-05-2011, 20:49
Check the resupply schedule on this site or purchase the thru hikers companion or a similar guide. I'm attempting next year too. Good luck.

Fog Horn
04-05-2011, 21:02
Order this years copy of the Companion if you really want to plan it out.

I've been reading some trail journals and what I've noticed is that there are plenty of times when someone plans to be at one place at the end of the day they end up far away from it either ahead or behind.

I'm planning to hike in 2012 too (in fact with this horrible storm last night I got really nervous because next year I'll be out in it) and what I plan on doing is taking the sections of the book, and planning as I go.

P1nkPanther
04-05-2011, 21:09
I'm sure people that have actually thru-hiked can give better advice than I...but that won't stop me.

We're planning 2012 as well. So far I have created a spreadsheet using the re-supply articles here on WB with the Thru-Hikers' Companion.

I listed miles between stops, how many days I think we'll take, average mileage, how far off the trail the stop is (important to everyone I'm sure, but as a couple I assume it's much harder to hitch), and any notes from Baltimore Jack or the THC on places to stay, good towns to zero in, shuttles, etc.

Do I think we'll stick to the list? HAHAHAHA. Not a chance. But it's a place to start, it breaks the trip up into comprehensive time pieces, and it gives me something to fiddle with while we dream and save and hike. I've made more useless spreadsheets, believe me.

You may find doing something similiar helps you decide how doable your time schedule is.

Blissful
04-05-2011, 21:16
You won't be alone on the trail, guaranteed.

Look up the resupply article. Read the threads. Get the companion from ATC. Read hiker's online journals at trailjournals.com (follow a few out hiking this year to get a sense of pacing, stops, etc) No sense worrying now, you have plenty of time.

LDog
04-05-2011, 22:40
Gonna echo other's suggestion about the resupply articles starting here:
http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1

I'm reading them with my copy of the ALDHA Companion open, and penciling in notes in the margins about towns to skip, which one's not to miss, and how many days to resupply for. Been getting a pretty good idea of the stretches where I might want to be ready to hike for 6-7 days ...

The current thread on favorite hiker towns and hostels is pretty good, and I've been scribbling even more notes in my Companion.

We'll be out there in 2012. When are you thinking of starting?

leaftye
04-05-2011, 22:45
Carry a good guidebook and figure it out as you go. You might end up carrying more food than you need at first, but you'll figure it out quickly.

ScottP
04-06-2011, 01:42
I'd start by finding a few experienced hikers and just call them up and chat for a little bit. Try to get a variety of styles, then try to get ones that you think will match what you want out of the trail.

If you have the time & money to hike, it's just a matter of 1. Do you enjoy it and 2. does nothing horrible go wrong.

Zachsdad
04-09-2011, 22:30
I'm also doing preliminary planning for 2012. I attemted a thru in '02 and carried the AT Hiker's Companion, published by ALDHA and elevation profile maps, published by the AT Trail Conservancy. I found the companion lacking, but the profiles indispensible. I attempted in '03 and carried the Thru Hiker's Handbook and found it excellent, and also carried the profile maps . In '12 I'll carry the AT Guide, published by David Miller, which appears to be the best guide yet to be published. The trail mileposts are detailed, town info is detailed, and elevation profiles are included on each page. You can check it out at www.theATguide.com (http://www.theATguide.com). I would recommend that you review the resources at the Appalachian Trial Conservancy, www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org) for planning your hike.

Gramps43
04-11-2011, 19:09
I have dreamed of an AT thru hike for years now is the time to stop dreaming. My plan is to start out around March15, 2012.

I have found the WB and all the links from it to be very helpfull so far. I am physically preparing and have a plan for that with I am already carrying out now.

stranger
04-15-2011, 10:01
I've never thru-hiked but I've hiked the southern 600 miles twice, and the mid-atlantic once, so I can vouch for alot of the first 2/3 of the trail.

With resupply, especially in the first 300-400 miles, there are many, many places to get into town, probably more than you might like.

Just off the top of my head, here is a quick list:

- Mile 30, Neels Gap, hostel, hiker grocery, can send maildrop, full service outfiiter, directly on trail

- Mile 50, Helen/Hiawassee, both full service towns, 10 miles in either direction

- Mile 67, Hiawassee, full service town, excellent supermarket, 9 miles off trail

- Mile 107, Franklin, full service town, excellent supermarket(s), 10 miles off trail

- Mile 133. NOC, hostel, outfitter, will accept maildrops, directly on trail

- Mile 164, Fontana Dam, limited town, limited supplies, maildrop recommended

- Mile 205, Gatlinburg, full service town, great supermarket, 15 miles off trail

- Mile ???. Standing Bear Farm, hostel, some grocery, will accept maildrops, 0.3 miles off trail

- Mile 270, Hot Springs, full service town, directly on trail

- Mile 286, Hemock Hill Cabins, hostel, limited supplies, accepts maildrops, 0.7 off trail

- Mile 340, Erwin, full service town, 4 miles off trail, hostel on trail

and so on....

Resupply is not a problem at all until you leave Pearisburg in my view, from Pearisburg it's something like 90 miles to Troutville, that's the first big carry.

Also, you don't even need to plan maildrops more than a week ahead. For those places where you need one, like Fontana Dam...just sent a box of food from either Hiawassee or Franklin, it works a charm.

LDog
04-15-2011, 10:15
I see the 2012 Dahlonega Trail Fest is set for March 16-18 ... Is it worth adjusting our start dates to attend it?

http://www.dahlonegatrailfest.org/

Jeff
04-19-2011, 15:17
I see the 2012 Dahlonega Trail Fest is set for March 16-18 ... Is it worth adjusting our start dates to attend it?

There are now close to a dozen trail festivals up and down the AT. Traildays in Damascus is the granddaddy of them all.

My personal favorite is The Gathering held this year in N. Adams, MA on Columbus Day weekend. It is a big time hiker reunion, but also has workshops on many trails across the USA and internationally. That's great for planning my next big hike. In 2012 I imagine The Gathering will be held in one of the southern states around the same time of year.

http://aldha.org/gathring.htm