PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day For Me

q-tip
04-05-2011, 21:09
Very sad day, I had to cancel my planned CT trip--ran out of money and after several years coming back from a near death experience, I finally ran out of money and must return to the coprporate world. I am just worn out thinking about returing. I know I have choices, so I am keeping an open mind to what my Higher Power might have in store for me. At 55, the window seems a little closed for taking this trip in the near future. But heck, you never know?????

Del Q
04-05-2011, 21:27
How long were you going to be out, how much money are you talking about?

Trailbender
04-06-2011, 10:58
Yeah, unfortunately money is a part of life. I get more frugal every day, and try to make it so I can earn less and still live on it, so I can spend more of my time doing what I want to do.

Spirit Walker
04-06-2011, 13:58
Giving up the LD lifestyle is hard. I sympathize. However, if you do have a chance at a job that earns real money, you can save your money and retire early. Ten years or less and you can be hiking full time, if you still want to. In the meantime, keep active so that you'll still have the ability to hike the CT when you have the time and money again.

Mountain Mike
04-06-2011, 14:09
Sorry to hear about canceling yor hike. But many hikers still backpack after retirement. Brice Hammock did the Triple Crown TWICE after he retired & then contined hiking. Keep active so you can still hike when you are retired. Your hike is not canceled, just defered for a bit.

Tilly
04-06-2011, 14:28
Sorry to hear this. I too have to postpone my hiking plans, due to a multi-faceted situation in my immediate family that I simply can't ignore. I was very depressed about it but I have no choice.

You live in NY, which is a nice state. There is plenty of outdoor things to do there. I am figuring several short trips in the summer that will be fun--and I live in IN, which isn't exactily a fun state unless you have a house and kids.

Anyway, the trail(s) will be there when we are ready. Good luck and plan some fun things for the meantime.

Praha4
04-06-2011, 14:46
CT trip? what's that?

dude, age 55 is young nowadays, you have plenty of time to get back to the trail. Do what brings you inner peace and less stress.

good luck to you

Freedom Walker
04-06-2011, 14:56
CT trip? what's that?

dude, age 55 is young nowadays, you have plenty of time to get back to the trail. Do what brings you inner peace and less stress.

good luck to you

I'm glad to hear that 55 is young, when I am 56. Sometimes the things we like to do in life is all about timing. Maybe it's not your time yet to hike the CT, and by doing so could bring about unintended consequences. I've heard before that when God closes a door, look for a window. So start looking for that window. Blessings to you.

q-tip
04-07-2011, 12:48
Thank you all... I certainly will hang in there. As they say on the AT--It's All Good......

sbhikes
04-07-2011, 13:15
55 is the new 30. You'll be back. If you can find a job in a city that is near mountains you'll be able to do weekend and holiday trips to keep the fires burning.

300winmag
04-21-2011, 19:51
q-tip,

I'm 68 and doing the southern 1/2 of the CT this July. I've done week and 10 day backpacks in Yosemite, southren Utah, Nevada and southern California. You're just a young'n! This winter here in Las Vegas' Spring Mountains I skiied in and slept in a snow cave.

HIKE 'TIL YA CROAK!

Gladiator
04-21-2011, 21:34
q-tip,

I'm 68 and doing the southern 1/2 of the CT this July. I've done week and 10 day backpacks in Yosemite, southren Utah, Nevada and southern California. You're just a young'n! This winter here in Las Vegas' Spring Mountains I skiied in and slept in a snow cave.

HIKE 'TIL YA CROAK!

Sir, you are my new hero.