PDA

View Full Version : Greenbrier River Trail WV

babbage
04-06-2011, 08:59
Can you folks educate me on the water situation for the Green River Trail in West Virginia, please?

My concern is that a thru hike of this trail will require the use of water from the river and that it may contain chemical run-off due to its size. I am not sure how to treat this type water.

Also, are there feeder streams that can be relied upon?

Thanks

randyg45
04-06-2011, 10:21
Do you mean the Greenbrier River Trail? I googled, because I had never heard of it, and that's all I found.
I'm from WV... I cannot imagine a river here without side streams, springs... water.
Have you called the park? (304) 799-7416

dzierzak
04-06-2011, 12:24
http://www.greenbrierrailtrailstatepark.com/

babbage
04-06-2011, 20:45
Yes that is what I meant - I apologize. I'm just having trouble finding good information about the trail and thought that someone on wb could help me out.

Crash
04-10-2011, 05:49
Greenbrier Trail has numerous well pumps along the way. And several spots from which to get water & drinks: Marlinton, a store by Watoga State Park next to the trail. I didn't have to filter any water. Pump for a minute then take the water. My favorite rail trail.

Rick Hancock
04-16-2011, 20:49
I've Mt. Biked the route 5-6 times, never hiked it. The water pumps are on and running. The trail is in good condition, although they have had snow several times as recently as a week and a half ago. The trail drains well but the shelter sites set lower there may be some that are pretty damp. Most sites have a raised tent area.

There are several good web sites with much info and Jody at Watoga State Park is a good guy. Most of the campsites have a pump but a handful do not. There is camping in designated areas only. I park in at the Caldwell trailhead and catch a shuttle to Cass at the northern end then hike south, trail is pretty much flat and actually goes "downhill" 1% grade from north to south.

Once you get past Marlinton and Seebert your a long way from an easy bailout. Marlinton has a couple of nice cafes a block or two from the trail. Last weekend in April is a bad time to go, they have a big run,kayak, bike race.

There is a nice little guide book you can buy, I got mine from Amazon, $10 bucks or so. Just do a web search and you'll find what you need, there are even a few trail journals.

Cookerhiker
04-22-2011, 21:40
I cycled the Greenbrier River Trail last Spring and don't recall any problems with water. I realize hiking is different but water was plentiful from the tributaries and pumps.

In Marlinton, the coffeehouse/cafe with the bike mounted on the side of the building is a great place for breakfast & lunch.

Rick Hancock
04-25-2011, 18:56
Just a quick note. I talked to the Ranger (Jody) at Watoga State Park who handles info about the GRT. He mentioned that the water pumps have to be tested regularly for contamination and they may have to be shut down as an outside source needs to do the testing at cost. If you ride/hike the trail you might want to join the Greenbrier River Trail Association or make a donation. They have built 2 small shelters along the route and I know how much I appreciated getting out of the weather on a 24 hour washout a few years ago.

I'm not connected to the trail in any way but I do use it often.