PDA

View Full Version : Mushroomin' on the AT

Noah Genda
04-06-2011, 13:11
"Tis the season to keep your eyes open for edible fungi...has anybody spotted any morels to date? Should be seeing them about now, but next week for sure...

general
04-06-2011, 14:29
the little grey's are all over the place in georgia, especially around poplars and birches.

d.o.c
04-06-2011, 14:37
soon i hope to start lookn for them cant wait lots of random woods walkn to come very soon then munchies mmmmmmm morels (homer j simpson voice)

IceAge
04-06-2011, 14:41
Still a month away from Morels around here!

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-06-2011, 16:19
Slightly off topic, but are you allowed to eat wild edibles in GSMNP? (such as morels and indian cucumber n such) I know you can't take them out of the park, but maybe a smugglers paradise in the tummy?! I never even thought about it until i just saw this post about morels. Thanks!

ATsawyer
04-06-2011, 17:18
Morels in Shenendoah arrive when "the leaves on an oak tree are as big as a mouse's ear". Look for them where there's lots of poplars.

mweinstone
04-06-2011, 17:21
beware the false morell
its stem is full
of lies and deciet
and death over it all the while

matthewski has spoken so shall it be

kayak karl
04-06-2011, 18:59
an old mushroom guy from Italy told me;
There are Old mushroom gathers, and there are Bold mushroom gathers, but there are no Old bold mushroom gathers.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3153/2959023383_ec19fc6a16.jpg

Smile
04-06-2011, 20:04
Leave the mushrooms alone.
:)

Hooch
04-06-2011, 20:27
This thread is not what I thought it was going to be about. :rolleyes::D

JF2CBR
04-06-2011, 20:33
I embrace all fungus on the trail. Eyes always searching.

macdude
04-06-2011, 21:17
Don't eat them raw. Ramps are up along the TN-NC border. Veggies in the woods.

Wise Old Owl
04-06-2011, 22:15
I embrace all fungus on the trail. Eyes always searching.

One only has to look between the toes........:eek:

Kepley
04-07-2011, 17:06
Leave the mushrooms alone.
:)

Mushrooms like it if you pick them. They are the fruiting bodies of the mycellium that we can not see. Thier sole purpose is to spread spores that will travel far away to germinate on suitable substrate. If you pick them, be sure to put them in an open basket to maximize spore dispersion. Done properly, mushroom picking forays can be rewarding for both mushrooms and people.

Bootstrap
04-08-2011, 14:40
an old mushroom guy from Italy told me;
There are Old mushroom gathers, and there are Bold mushroom gathers, but there are no Old bold mushroom gathers.

Most mushroom hunters have a small number of mushrooms they know very well.

88BlueGT
04-08-2011, 15:27

+1 TO THAT! haha oh well :D

wvgrinder
04-09-2011, 17:02

We did that a couple times back in '91. Let me just say they were not big mile days. ;)

WingedMonkey
04-09-2011, 17:38
Most mushroom hunters have a small number of mushrooms they know very well.

That's how I learned during a summer off of the Blue Ridge. I got some books and figured out which edible fungus didn't look like anything else, not even close. Then whan I was on a trail away from the books and the pictures I only collected those.
I was also cataloging old cemeteries in the forest and must have looked strange picking huge puffballs over 100 year old graves.

;)

elray
04-09-2011, 18:52
Found a couple of large yellow sponges when I did the Shenandoah section and my hiking companion was carrying a nice piece of dehydrated fish and butter. We struck a deal that evening and had a feast I'll never forget. Some of the local hunters here use an onion bag to help spread the spores as they hunt and will also go as far as to return to the woods the water they've used to rinse the mushrooms.

Sheep_dog
04-09-2011, 20:36
Has anyone gotten/seen any Chaga mushrooms out on the trail?

emerald
04-09-2011, 22:19
Mushrooms like it if you pick them. They are the fruiting bodies of the mycellia that we can not see. Their sole purpose is to spread spores that will travel far away to germinate on suitable substrate. If you pick them, be sure to put them in an open basket to maximize spore dispersion. Done properly, mushroom picking forays can be rewarding for both mushrooms and people.

Sounds like a great justification for picking edible fungi if the spores are mature and the sporangia release them at the stage people pick them. I doubt this to be the case, but I have been wrong on occasion.

mweinstone
04-10-2011, 21:34
your all makeing me sad. but glad too. that i got to mushroom with old man bobby perone. he was an italian guy in the hood. knew me since placenta. allways helped me out. lent me bucks for diapers when max was a kid and i was broke. took me shroomin in jersy each year on his propertys. he had a little tour. knew where everything was. loaded his blue truck with baskets from crabbing season and his hanging scale. his big money maker was oyster. the old italian cooks jarred it each year when booby gathered. he would sell half a pick up bed full of shrooms in about 4 minutes. each old lady wanted an equal share of his treasure and scampered across the street clutching those head scarves they have , running for the once a year paydirt.

Kepley
04-12-2011, 12:26
mweinstone maybe you should cut back on the "jersy" shrooms

Smile
04-12-2011, 12:55
your all makeing me sad. but glad too. that i got to mushroom with old man bobby perone. he was an italian guy in the hood. knew me since placenta. allways helped me out. lent me bucks for diapers when max was a kid and i was broke. took me shroomin in jersy each year on his propertys. he had a little tour. knew where everything was. loaded his blue truck with baskets from crabbing season and his hanging scale. his big money maker was oyster. the old italian cooks jarred it each year when booby gathered. he would sell half a pick up bed full of shrooms in about 4 minutes. each old lady wanted an equal share of his treasure and scampered across the street clutching those head scarves they have , running for the once a year paydirt.

Great story, I can see the scarves now....good memories. :)

Rockhound
04-12-2011, 18:38
beware the false morell
its stem is full
of lies and deciet
and death over it all the while

matthewski has spoken so shall it be
You'd have to be on shrooms to mistake a morell for anything but a morell.

wornoutboots
04-12-2011, 22:58
I was in Lost Mountain Shelter in 2009 on the Thursday b4 Trail Days & 2 guys hammocking there left at Midnight & hiked into Damascus saying they were doing it because there were mushrooms Damascus??? Them guys must really like mushrooms : o )