PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP reservations

10-K
04-06-2011, 16:28
Just called the park and talked to the backcountry reservation folks.

She said that I shouldn't have any trouble getting a spot in any of the reserved backcountry campsites except perhaps #38 (Mt. Sterling) and even then if I called and explained my situation they'd probably be able to squeeze me in if I were by myself.

As of right now, from campsite 50 which is the first backcountry site east of Smokemont all the way to Laurel Gap shelter no spots have been reserved for the week of April 23rd, which is my best estimate of when I'll be in that section of the park.

However, as of today there only 8 spots open at Mt. Sterling / #38 for the week of April 23rd.

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-06-2011, 16:34
That's my bday :) have fun out there!

10-K
04-06-2011, 16:37
That's my bday :) have fun out there!

Cancel that big party you're having at Mt. Sterling and free me up some room!!

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-06-2011, 16:47
Actually I plan on doing a short weekend hike with some buddies, West Prong Trail - campsite 18 baby! (a campsite we frequent often) Keep sweet-talkin' dem dere rangers, they're usually pretty flexible as long as they know your intent and you're polite!

Ox97GaMe
04-06-2011, 18:54
Mt Sterling is a restricted site. I thought that they only allowed 8-10 people there on any given night. So it sounds like it will be just a small party anyway.

It is too early for most folks to be out in the park. And you are planning to be there over the easter holiday weekend, when everyone wants to be home eating ham with their families.

Have fun.

10-K
04-25-2011, 14:51
I wound up staying at #98 on night one, #57 on night 2 and #44 on night 3.

#57 is a reserved site and I didn't have a reservation but I was the only one there and no one came by after I pitched my tent so I guess it was all good.

#98 was crowded with a largish group.

#44 has to be one of the creepiest campsites ever. :)

I hiked by Laurel Gap early in the morning (I left #44 at 4:30 AM) and no one was there. I was by Mt. Sterling a little before 10:00 AM and no one was there either.

The Solemates
04-25-2011, 15:50
i have reservations this weekend for campsite #9 for 2 nights if anyone is interested. we've decided to go to mt rogers area instead.

Cabin Fever
04-25-2011, 20:07
I have learned to make my reservations as soon as possible (1 month before first day on the trail). I got burned by this last year. I was going to hike Newfound to Fontana the second weekend in December and all of the shelters were full. I couldn't believe it.