PDA

View Full Version : Light Backpack w/ good Shoulder & Waist Support?

doodoobaby
04-06-2011, 16:38
Hello fellow hikers, this is my first post!

I am planning a thru-hike this summer with my brother. He has a metal plate in his collar bone, so needs good support/padding for his shoulders, and a good waist belt to put that weight on his hips.

I was looking at alot of the ultra-light packs, and saw the shoulder padding to be minimal, as well as the waist belt.

Does anyone know a happy medium between good support/padding and weight?

<side note, I'm planning to use my Kelty Cloud 5000, I know heavy, but I don't want to buy a new one, and its very comfortable>

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-06-2011, 16:44
The true ultralight packs tend to not have as much padding/support. The best way is to go to a local shop and try on a few different brands. They usually have some old stuff sacks with dead weight so you can weight them down when you try them on. It really is the best way. My hiking buddy has a metal plate in his hip (long story... it involves cliff jumping) and he has trouble with hip belts. Just gotta try them out, definitely have him do a shakedown before you do a thru-hike. Personally the Deuter packs fit me well, great support and comfort.

aaronthebugbuffet
04-06-2011, 16:56
Maybe ULA.
I have a larger pack of theirs (catalyst)and it has a real hip belt unlike a lot of lightweight packs. It's nice but not ultralight and it has a frame.
Usually I don't even use a hip belt but with your brother's shoulder condition a good belt may make all the difference.

Mutt
04-06-2011, 18:43

I am planning a thru-hike this summer with my brother. He has a metal plate in his collar bone, so needs good support/padding for his shoulders, and a good waist belt to put that weight on his hips.

I was looking at alot of the ultra-light packs, and saw the shoulder padding to be minimal, as well as the waist belt.

<side note, I'm planning to use my Kelty Cloud 5000, I know heavy, but I don't want to buy a new one, and its very comfortable>

I would recommend several of the Military current type of Molle Gear Packs (available from Cheaper-Than-Dirt), heavy, but damn comfortable. I am 58 years at this moment, last summer here in North Texas (fairly flat terrain), I did a daily best of 27 miles with 35 lbs in 7 hours using one of these Mod-Gear hydration compatible packs. The Pack weighs 5 lbs by itself. But those 35 lbs, were far more comfortable to me than than the 20 lbs. that I humped in an acquaintance's very expensive and very Light weight pack that He purchased from a very well regarded and famous Company that supplies trendy trekers.

On any given year, for many years I usually do about a 1,000 miles or so under pack.

So, just an Idea, for You.

hobbs
04-06-2011, 19:39

I would take your brother to Outdoortrails and have him try on packs.You may even be able to add a little extra padding on the shoulder straps yourself. get creative. Good luck to you both and have a great hike...

Raul Perez
04-06-2011, 19:41
To be honest If you want something light with decent shoulder padding... take a look at the REI Flash 65. VERY comfy!

skinewmexico
04-06-2011, 21:36
A pack that fits right should put little to no weight on the shoulders, so padding shouldn't matter.

Bonjour
04-06-2011, 22:03
Trying different packs really makes sense. I was convinced that I wanted a pack that was 3 lbs or less to achieve ultralight goals. I tried on several packs carrying 25 lbs at the outfitter. I was disappointed that the light packs just didn't feel right for me. I ended up with a 4.5 lb pack but it carries the weight so much better than the lighter packs. Part of the reason is the beefier shoulder straps and waist belt. The brand doesn't matter because it is a very individual matter just like getting boots that fit best.

doodoobaby
04-06-2011, 22:56
Thanks for the input! I figured the best thing is to try packs on at the stores, but with a limited budget, neither of us can really afford to buy from our local outdoor fitters. I usually buy my gear online to save money.

Both ULA catalyst and REI Flash 65 look good. I will check out cheaper-than-dirt packs as well, sounds like my kind of place.

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-06-2011, 23:30
Be sure to check the selling gear forum as well, people post some pretty good deals. Once you find the pack you like, that is :)

R00K
04-25-2011, 20:47
To be honest If you want something light with decent shoulder padding... take a look at the REI Flash 65. VERY comfy!

I like my Flash 50 and 65 - But you might want to check out:
http://www.rei.com/product/780218/osprey-exos-58-pack
And some packs at granitegear.com

If you get the 65 take out the frame-sheet and stays to cut weight, if you pack right the only difference you'll notice it the weight reduction.

R00K
04-25-2011, 20:49
I like my Flash 50 and 65 - But you might want to check out:
http://www.rei.com/product/780218/osprey-exos-58-pack
And some packs at granitegear.com

If you get the 65 take out the frame-sheet and stays to cut weight, if you pack right the only difference you'll notice it the weight reduction.

The Osprey is lighter, with a vented back system, maybe not the shoulder straps and hipbelt you're looking for, but a good middle ground between the true UL pack straps and the full padded straps.

d.o.c
04-25-2011, 20:52
outdoor trails has what u need id say.. i have a destroyd soulder i use ULA personaly i love it with its very large waist belt and the shoulder straps i have are usualy adjusted in a weird way so i dnt hve shoulder issues but ULA works for my injury and is very light.. i dont think outdoor trails sells ULA tho fyi..

johnnybgood
04-25-2011, 21:28
REI Flash stows stuff comfortably as long as the load is not exceeding 30 lbs .
The waist belt doesn't seem quite as good as the Osprey 50 or 65 IMO .

The Flash seems durable enough though one 42 mile section hike with this pack doesn't exactly make a convincing case.

LDog
04-25-2011, 21:34
I have no personal experience with this pack, but Granite Gear's Nimbus Ozone gets rave reviews in part for totally plush shoulder straps and hip belt. It's 62 L and can carry 40 lbs.

A review by Ryan Jordan:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/granite_gear_nimbus_review