PDA

View Full Version : A Cello?

MoodyBluer
04-06-2011, 16:53
Mark Trail reports here http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=341372

about someone carrying a cello AND an electric amp...now I've heard everything!

Backpacker guitars that last about 150 miles until the humidity destroys the bridge and ultimately the guitar I've seen on the trail...BUT A CELLO?

Tipi Walter
04-06-2011, 17:32
We've been thru this crap before:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53333

WingedMonkey
04-06-2011, 18:42

Backpacker guitars that last about 150 miles until the humidity destroys the bridge and ultimately the guitar I've seen on the trail...BUT A CELLO?
Maybe an unleashed dog will piss on it while he is providing his trail magic.
:banana

mountain squid
04-06-2011, 18:53
about someone carrying a cello AND an electric ampI saw the guy . . . I reckon this is his blog (http://brandonbrandtsmith.com/) (unless there are 2 guys carrying cellos:eek::rolleyes::D).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

MoodyBluer
04-06-2011, 19:32

Don't really think a guitar thread qualifies as a cello thread, Tipi...(the fact I just typed cello thread on an AT site is surreal enough).

Second Half
04-06-2011, 19:34
I saw the guy . . . I reckon this is his blog (http://brandonbrandtsmith.com/)

This is actually pretty cool. Check out the video "Cello by a stream".

Looks like this isn't the first time he's played in nature. There's video and pix of him with his cello at Crater Lake, Mt. St. Helens, etc.

sheepdog
04-06-2011, 20:45
A cello is ridiculous,

I can see an upright base....that would make sense.

Hikes in Rain
04-07-2011, 17:44
As a former upright bass player (converted from tuba), I wholeheartedly agree!

Smile
04-07-2011, 17:49
Hello? Cello?

Storm
04-07-2011, 17:56
As long as he doesn't ask me to carry it I wouldn't care if he carried a cast iron bathtub.

sbhikes
04-07-2011, 18:29
Wouldn't the weather wreak havoc on his cello? I know that when I play my fiddle in the park, if it's a hot day some of the other fiddles have cracked open and when it's cold, we all go really sharp. Can't be good for the fiddle.

FarmRookie 2015
04-09-2011, 23:10
So those Martin backpackers won't make it?

txag
04-10-2011, 00:24
One of my mother's college friends became pseudo-famous for playing the cello nude wrapped in cellophane in the 60's and 70's. Face it - what do you do for attention playing a cello??? - not like you're in a rock bamd.

That I note on this website decades later probably justifies her act.....

Red Hat
04-10-2011, 07:10
He did actually hike from Springer to Hightower Gap on the AT. I heard he took FS road 42 from there, but the blog speaks of a concert at Justice Creek.... Later he was at Neel Gap doing interviews... not sure how much of the rest of the trail he actually walked. Interesting idea, but the reality is hitting hard... Glad to find his blog

Derek81pci
04-10-2011, 07:23
As absurd as the idea is of lugging around a cello and amp sounds... he is actually quite good! It must be the heavy metal twist on his music :)

fiddlehead
04-10-2011, 08:41
So those Martin backpackers won't make it?

They'll make it fine.
I have carried a Martin BAckpacker for 3 of my thu hikes and the only time I had a problem was in the desert of Southern CA.
When i took it back to Martin, they told me that the desert is the worse place for a guitar. (I too had thought it would be a humid, moist climate that would be worse)
They replaced my guitar for free and asked me to try to keep it out of the dry climate.

I wish i was there to hear the cello dude.

I have jammed with the Tuba man, and with the aboriginals of Australia with my guitar as well as a penny whistle player in Ireland and the awesome washtub bass player at many ALDHA gatherings.

FarmRookie 2015
04-10-2011, 08:49
They'll make it fine.
I have carried a Martin BAckpacker for 3 of my thu hikes and the only time I had a problem was in the desert of Southern CA.
When i took it back to Martin, they told me that the desert is the worse place for a guitar. (I too had thought it would be a humid, moist climate that would be worse)
They replaced my guitar for free and asked me to try to keep it out of the dry climate.

I wish i was there to hear the cello dude.

I have jammed with the Tuba man, and with the aboriginals of Australia with my guitar as well as a penny whistle player in Ireland and the awesome washtub bass player at many ALDHA gatherings.

Excellent. I intend to get one prior to my 2015 NOBO. Cheap enough even if it does melt.

Pedaling Fool
04-10-2011, 09:04
The guy appears to really like to play, in other words, I don't think this is a "stunt" -- he really loves the cello. Some people are just bitten by the "bug".

BTW, why isn't cello spelled "chello"?

Jack Tarlin
04-10-2011, 09:43
I admit to having reservations about this when I first heard about it. Then I met the guy. In addition to being a really nice guy, he's a very accomplished musician. I wish him well on his hike and so would anyone else who actually encountered him.

Leanthree
04-11-2011, 00:58
My grand piano doesn't fit in GoLite Jam so I was thinking of upgrading to the GoLite Pinnacle. Anyone ever carried 695 lbs in the Pinnacle? I am in good shape and would be trying to average ~14 miles a day including zeros.

4Bears
04-11-2011, 10:45
What's the big deal 'cause "There's always room for Cello" :D

dzierzak
04-11-2011, 12:42
The guy appears to really like to play, in other words, I don't think this is a "stunt" -- he really loves the cello. Some people are just bitten by the "bug".

derived from Italian "violincello"

sheepdog
04-11-2011, 12:49
My grand piano doesn't fit in GoLite Jam so I was thinking of upgrading to the GoLite Pinnacle. Anyone ever carried 695 lbs in the Pinnacle? I am in good shape and would be trying to average ~14 miles a day including zeros.
You probably should be looking at external frames.

LowBridge
04-11-2011, 12:57
derived from Italian "violincello"

I prefer Italian "Limoncello" :)

sheepdog
04-11-2011, 13:01
I prefer Italian "Limoncello" :)
not to be confused with lemon jello :D

dzierzak
04-12-2011, 10:06
so long as it's not yellow snow...:p

Old Hiker
04-12-2011, 10:13

Don't take the bench and you should shave some weight off. Also, memorize your music so you don't have to carry maps, books AND sheet music.

I'd say to saw the legs off, but I don't think people staying in a shelter would appreciate the floor space being taken up unless you let them sleep on top.

Razor
04-12-2011, 20:16
But the way he is doing it ,he has a car battery and an amp. I just don't understand the extra weight!

FarmRookie 2015
04-12-2011, 21:12
Why would he need an amp?

sheepdog
04-12-2011, 21:50
Why would he need an amp?
to keep everyone awake

bass clef
04-13-2011, 18:24
hey everyone. nice to meet so many of you on the trail! i'm carrying an amp that takes 6 AA batteries and an electric cello. i do it because i have to. we quit everything to hike this trail and i wouldn't leave my cello behind. right now we're in helen georgia where we hitched a ride in from unicoi gap and we'll pick the trail up again in a day or two. we've hiked every mile purist style from springer and will go the whole way to maine, god willing. it's a dream and i'm loving it. i've met so many cool people on the trail already.

bass clef
04-13-2011, 18:46
also:)

we've only ever stayed at one shelter and that was because we were there to get water when we heard a storm coming in. i did play a little there upon request, but we usually camp and keep to ourselves.

sheepdog
04-13-2011, 19:35
Is your cello water proof??

sheepdog
04-13-2011, 19:35
You gotta post some pics!!!

Celeste
04-13-2011, 23:36

I'm all about posting your opinion, but some of the self-centered responses on this forum kill me. I think people should post their opinion as THEIR opinion and stop being so high and might and judging the people of topic. So what if some one wants to carry a cello or a folding guitar, if they're not hitting you over the head with it why do you care?

For example, personally would I carry that weight or bring something like that? Heck no. The idea doesn't interest me. However I'm a photographer and intend to add to my pack weight with some lenses and camera body and light tri-pod. Things that are just as fragile and easily messed up by the elements as a musical instrument. Other surely think I'm stupid for doing that, and that's their opinion. To each their own.

I'm sure if while at a shelter somebody was playing and somebody else asked them to stop, they would

RockDoc
04-14-2011, 01:25
More power to you for following your dream. Maybe I'll run into you in Virginia in a few weeks. I hope so!

mountain squid
04-14-2011, 19:13
Check out the solo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oaOkn-BVY4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL) as the sun sets on Blood.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

sheepdog
04-14-2011, 19:31
I'm all about posting your opinion, but some of the self-centered responses on this forum kill me. I think people should post their opinion as THEIR opinion and stop being so high and might and judging the people of topic. So what if some one wants to carry a cello or a folding guitar, if they're not hitting you over the head with it why do you care?

For example, personally would I carry that weight or bring something like that? Heck no. The idea doesn't interest me. However I'm a photographer and intend to add to my pack weight with some lenses and camera body and light tri-pod. Things that are just as fragile and easily messed up by the elements as a musical instrument. Other surely think I'm stupid for doing that, and that's their opinion. To each their own.

I'm sure if while at a shelter somebody was playing and somebody else asked them to stop, they would
because you should hike my hike :D

sheepdog
04-14-2011, 19:38

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49169

88BlueGT
04-15-2011, 13:56
Check out the solo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oaOkn-BVY4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL) as the sun sets on Blood.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I think the whole things pretty amazing. I think you guys are just jealous because you couldn't handle the weight :D

I think its great though that hes not letting something so stupid like 'weight' stop him from bringing what he wants and enjoying what he does. Like posted above, as long as the man doesn't ask me to carry it half-way, more power to him!

^^^ Video above is cool, love to sit there, roll up a J and listen to him play, would be GREAT. I'd hike with ya anytime bud!

MoodyBluer
04-15-2011, 14:55

When I started this thread I didn't really mean to infer that hiking with a cello was wrong, I'm just amazed at the logistics of carrying something that large (with an amp, no less...) 2100 miles to Maine...more power to that hiker. That's significantly bigger than camera equipment and tripod...I section hiked with a Martin backpacker guitar about 5 years ago and it was difficult to protect it, so I don't do it anymore...but definitely HYOH when it comes to this.

88BlueGT
04-15-2011, 16:30
people are too quick to bash. Its really funny how thru-hiking the AT and spending so much time in the woods is so far beyond what society calls 'normal'. BUT if you do one thing that's a little different IN the woods, your immediately scolded for it.

Celeste
04-15-2011, 16:43
When I started this thread I didn't really mean to infer that hiking with a cello was wrong, I'm just amazed at the logistics of carrying something that large (with an amp, no less...) 2100 miles to Maine...more power to that hiker. That's significantly bigger than camera equipment and tripod...I section hiked with a Martin backpacker guitar about 5 years ago and it was difficult to protect it, so I don't do it anymore...but definitely HYOH when it comes to this.

Oh I know, not you at all, what I've seen others say. Along with what was on the link to a past thread that somebody posted close to the beginning of this one. :)

Ashman
04-15-2011, 17:02
people are too quick to bash. Its really funny how thru-hiking the AT and spending so much time in the woods is so far beyond what society calls 'normal'. BUT if you do one thing that's a little different IN the woods, your immediately scolded for it.

A great observation!

Slo-go'en
04-15-2011, 17:08
The cello player and friend showed up at a site I was at a few days ago, a day or two north of Neels. It sounded pretty neat out there in the woods as dusk settled in. That night was our first big rain, don't know how well the equipment faired, but haven't seen them since. (They are hiking pretty slow and the amp looked like it weighed a ton and was not protected from the weather!). I have a feeling they won't be lugging the cello and amp too much farther up the trail as reality sets in.

bass clef
04-15-2011, 17:51
the cello and amp survived that storm unscathed, we'll be keeping them both the whole journey. thanks everyone for your nice comments and see you on the trail!

Second Half
04-15-2011, 22:11
"But you have to give your whole life to a cello. When I realized that, I went back to the guitar and just turned the volume up a bit louder."

--Ritchie Blackmore (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/ritchiebla308027.html)

SawnieRobertson
04-16-2011, 09:12
My second night at Mountain Crossings, he played his cello for us while Balloonatic made crazy loon figures. It was pleasant, folks. The tones fit with the outdoors. Then he had to go to the camp out spot because all of the bunks were already taken by the time he did his descent from Blood Mountain. A bear had been lurking about the night before. I heard all up there survived, so, hopefully, he is still hiking. Nice fellow.--Kinnickinic

Slo-go'en
04-16-2011, 14:35
the cello and amp survived that storm unscathed, we'll be keeping them both the whole journey. thanks everyone for your nice comments and see you on the trail!

Glad to hear the equipment made it through the storm. Once you get into NC, we'll see if your playing a new tune :)

Tinker
05-01-2011, 22:33
bass clef:
Enjoyed the Youtube recordings. It's a pleasure to hear a nice instrument played well.
Good luck with the hike. :)

MoodyBluer
05-01-2011, 22:43
anybody know how bass clef is faring so far w/ the hike and the cello?

Tipi Walter
05-03-2011, 08:34

Why do I care? Because it's human generated noise pollution---something I go into the woods to get away from.

because you should hike my hike :D

It's more like Listen To My Hike, Damnit! I don't want to listen. Obviously people who think it's a great idea haven't yet got their bellyful of screaming motorcyclists, overhead jets, or the irksome adjacent noise of a musical instrument. It's no different than a boom box set up in camp. Wait until they bring out the blaring trumpets and the honking bassoons, thinking everyone wants to hear their self-proclaimed clever musical sputterings and long-note bowings. Anyway, where are the ULers on this? Or the LNT types? Part of leave no trace means keeping quiet around other people.

petra
05-10-2011, 16:35
seriously, tipi walter? you don't sound much like someone advocating for quiet, you sound like a disgruntled grouch spoiling for a fight. if solitude and quiet are your aims, why are you polluting this forum with your hate and narrow-mindedness? you don't want to listen to someone's music on the trail, and i don't want to listen to you on this forum. do you see your own contradictions?

protargol
05-10-2011, 17:28
To be fair, part of LNT is to keep non-natural sounds to a minimum. That said, if someone asks and everyone consents to it, a little music never hurt anyone. If you don't want to hear it, just politely say you'd rather they not, and I'm almost positive they will comply. If everyone can be polite and adult about it, there shouldn't be too many problems. The key is respect.

Pedaling Fool
05-10-2011, 17:30
To be fair, part of LNT is to keep non-natural sounds to a minimum. That said, if someone asks and everyone consents to it, a little music never hurt anyone. If you don't want to hear it, just politely say you'd rather they not, and I'm almost positive they will comply. If everyone can be polite and adult about it, there shouldn't be too many problems. The key is respect.
Someone needs to tell the crickets about this LNT rule.

Beachcomber
05-10-2011, 18:01

Italian. Short for "violincello." Now if you want to know why the Italian language pronounces "ce" like the English "che," you'll need to ask an Italian.

Also, I think I may have found a picture of our cellist during his student days. Apparently he started carrying his instrument early: http://www.capefearwedding.com/graphics/editorial/cello.jpg

petra
05-10-2011, 18:08
more like this i think

http://tinyurl.com/43ms2eh

Tipi Walter
05-10-2011, 23:02
seriously, tipi walter? you don't sound much like someone advocating for quiet, you sound like a disgruntled grouch spoiling for a fight. if solitude and quiet are your aims, why are you polluting this forum with your hate and narrow-mindedness? you don't want to listen to someone's music on the trail, and i don't want to listen to you on this forum. do you see your own contradictions?

Wow, you made up that whole screed out of nothing. You may need to spend 20 years in practice rooms and concert halls to get a different opinion of the so-called wonderful value of human expression in music. In other words, would you be okay with a boom box on the trail? Or blasting away at some shelter? It's one step removed from a live cello by the firepit. And anyway, you are reading my posts here, not listening to them, and we're not even talking about indoor computer use and forum conversations, we're talking about playing musical instruments outside on the Appalachian Trail.

Someone needs to tell the crickets about this LNT rule.

Protargol said non-natural sounds---so crickets don't count.

Pedaling Fool
05-11-2011, 07:51
Protargol said non-natural sounds---so crickets don't count.
Well we can debate what is natural or unnatural -- it can be a very tricky line to draw. Personally I don't see a cello any more unnatural than you talking;)

But suffice it to say that crickets can be one of them most irritating noises out in the wilderness.

Cricket chirping:

Male crickets are equipped with their own built-in fiddle system, and both male and females have their “ears” in their front legs below the knee. Each of the male’s wings has a rough surface on its underside, the file. In the same place on top of each wing is a scraper. The cricket rubs the scraper of either wing against the file of the other to make his music, or his mating call. This cricket music is called stridulation.

Tipi Walter
05-11-2011, 08:57
Well we can debate what is natural or unnatural -- it can be a very tricky line to draw. Personally I don't see a cello any more unnatural than you talking;)

For the last time, I am not talking---I am writing. There's no sound involved here, and we're not on the trail.

Pete Moss
05-11-2011, 09:08
not to burst bubbles or stir the pot.....but all sound is natural, just sayin:-?

Tipi Walter
05-11-2011, 09:55
not to burst bubbles or stir the pot.....but all sound is natural, just sayin:-?

So, if you were camping near the AT or in some forest or wilderness, you would consider the sound of a nearby chainsaw to be as natural as the sound of a nearby waterfall??

Pete Moss
05-11-2011, 10:01
So, if you were camping near the AT or in some forest or wilderness, you would consider the sound of a nearby chainsaw to be as natural as the sound of a nearby waterfall??

Absolutely, its all just sound waves at different frequencies, one may be more pleasant than the other to our ear, but its all just organic sound waves.

FlyPaper
05-11-2011, 10:16

Don't know if this guy has come up in the thread yet. Thru-hiker. Trail-name "No Cello". Plays the cello and sometimes has one made available on the trail. Does not carry it though.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/0/5/3/dsc01480_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=46395&c=member&imageuser=6053)

MoodyBluer
05-11-2011, 10:39
Still no recent word on our cello hiker that I can find...anybody know about his progress?

Tipi Walter
05-11-2011, 10:46
Absolutely, its all just sound waves at different frequencies, one may be more pleasant than the other to our ear, but its all just organic sound waves.

Sounds great from a yogic viewpoint, nonduality, samskara and all, but you may react differently when actually camping next to a loud chainsaw vs the sound of a waterfall. Or camping near the dreadful scratching rosin-bowed whine of an out-of-tune cello.

When you say it's all just organic sound waves, well, this seems to be a tacit agreement on your part for bringing musical instrument out on the trail. In the same vein, given the choice of eating an apple or arsenic, would you eat both since both are just organic molecules??

petra
05-11-2011, 10:52
tipi, you should consider changing your name from a toilet paper to something like 'mr cheerful'. damn, you are a sad sack. personally i'd rather camp next to a chainsaw than be anywhere near your incessant whinings. nothing can bring a hiker down more than a negative nelly who thinks he is the appalachian trail police.

petra
05-11-2011, 11:04
Still no recent word on our cello hiker that I can find...anybody know about his progress?

saw him in gatlinburg about a week ago. he played at the outdoor center there.

Tipi Walter
05-11-2011, 11:10
tipi, you should consider changing your name from a toilet paper to something like 'mr cheerful'. damn, you are a sad sack. personally i'd rather camp next to a chainsaw than be anywhere near your incessant whinings. nothing can bring a hiker down more than a negative nelly who thinks he is the appalachian trail police.

It's hard to get a straight answer out of you. Once again, would you be okay with a boombox blaring from a trail shelter?? Or an alto saxophone?

Beachcomber
05-11-2011, 11:13

I sure would enjoy a cello on a balmy evening in the woods. (the amp seems like overkill, but I'm not the one carrying it.) I have to laugh at the rhetorical device of changing the subject to "chainsaw" and "out-of-tune," which are irrelevant to the actual facts of the matter. Maybe what this is really all about is an impatience with having to share our time and space with other human beings, who have an inconvenient way of having agendas of their own that don't necessarily match ours.

petra
05-11-2011, 11:23
It's hard to get a straight answer out of you. Once again, would you be okay with a boombox blaring from a trail shelter?? Or an alto saxophone?

let me just say the sound that would make me the most irritated is hearing you whining bitterly from your tent about how you hate music and the free will of others and people who don't hike your hike, dammit. hands down. :)

protargol
05-11-2011, 11:24
http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles_7.php

It's pretty clearly laid out there. The goal of the principle is not to be a fun-sucking rule, but rather to ensure maximum enjoyment of the outdoors for people in the present and future. People go out hiking in part to escape man-made noises of all kinds. Is a talented cello player making unpleasant sounds? Probably not, but it still prevents others from escaping from as many man made sounds as possible. For some hikers, they'd rather hear leaves rustle or birds chirp than music. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong, but they do have "right of way" on this issue.

Pete Moss
05-11-2011, 11:32
Sounds great from a yogic viewpoint, nonduality, samskara and all, but you may react differently when actually camping next to a loud chainsaw vs the sound of a waterfall. Or camping near the dreadful scratching rosin-bowed whine of an out-of-tune cello.

When you say it's all just organic sound waves, well, this seems to be a tacit agreement on your part for bringing musical instrument out on the trail. In the same vein, given the choice of eating an apple or arsenic, would you eat both since both are just organic molecules??

I'm really middle ground on this arguement, I PERSONALLY wouldnt mind someone playing, IN DOSES. I also understand your position. I was merely pointing out the fact that sound waves are just energy being transferred as the point was made some sound is natural and some is not. Apples and arsnic are also both natural as well. Would I eat the arsnic? No not unless I went to one of those churches off a back country road where the keep rattlers as pets too:)

Old Hiker
05-11-2011, 11:57
[QUOTE=Pete Moss;1158009]I'm really middle ground on this arguement, I PERSONALLY wouldnt mind someone playing, IN DOSES. ....................

I like the "in doses" part and if everyone was OK with it for a while. Went to the Pantalica necropolis in Sicily. After a somber and depressing hike through the empty canyon peering into the hand-carved tombs and as I was walking out, someone in the bottom of the canyon started playing a VERY mournful tune on a recorder. I sat at the top of the canyon and listened for over 15 minutes as the musician soothed my soul and my depression with the music. Completely in key? No. Completely in tune with the location? Absolutely.

Old Hiker
05-11-2011, 12:07
Bass clef - sorry for the stupid question: can you play the cello part that is an intro (can't remember which one) to one of the heavy metal tracks on Black Sabbath Paranoid? My mom played classical cello and that track used to irritate her to no end! :-? Only lasts a few seconds, though, but I think it is really mellow and interesting, with the interweaving of the melodies.

Tipi Walter
05-11-2011, 13:21
I sure would enjoy a cello on a balmy evening in the woods. (the amp seems like overkill, but I'm not the one carrying it.) I have to laugh at the rhetorical device of changing the subject to "chainsaw" and "out-of-tune," which are irrelevant to the actual facts of the matter. Maybe what this is really all about is an impatience with having to share our time and space with other human beings, who have an inconvenient way of having agendas of their own that don't necessarily match ours.

LNT is all about other humans having agendas of their own, and LNT recommends keeping quiet when camping around other people. Period.

let me just say the sound that would make me the most irritated is hearing you whining bitterly from your tent about how you hate music and the free will of others and people who don't hike your hike, dammit. hands down. :)

But I don't want to do their---Listen to my hike, damnit!---either. Plus, you would never hear me whine about backpacking musicians bringing out their tubas and zithers and B-flat clarinets and trap sets and contra-bassoons, etc, because where I go backpacking is in remote areas where backpackers rarely go, and if they do show up the terrain is so steep and rugged that none of them would be carrying a cello. The ultralighters need to chime in here and write a big negatory on the useless weight of a musical instrument.

http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles_7.php

It's pretty clearly laid out there. The goal of the principle is not to be a fun-sucking rule, but rather to ensure maximum enjoyment of the outdoors for people in the present and future. People go out hiking in part to escape man-made noises of all kinds. Is a talented cello player making unpleasant sounds? Probably not, but it still prevents others from escaping from as many man made sounds as possible. For some hikers, they'd rather hear leaves rustle or birds chirp than music. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong, but they do have "right of way" on this issue.

Finally, the voice of reason. I thought I was going nuts here listening to the boom-box apologists. Petra needs to read your lnt.org link, especially this blurb:

"Many people come to the outdoors to listen to nature. Excessive noise, unleashed pets and damaged surroundings take away from everyone's experience. So, keep the noise level down while traveling and if you bring a radio, tapes or CDs, use headphones so you will not disturb others. Also keep in mind that the feeling of solitude, especially in open areas, is enhanced when group size is small, contacts are infrequent and behavior is unobtrusive."

Pedaling Fool
05-11-2011, 15:09
For the last time, I am not talking---I am writing. There's no sound involved here, and we're not on the trail.
So when you're in the woods you just write notes to people instead of talking:D You know humans are an invasive species, we originate from Africa, so us just being in the woods is unnatural, therefore any sound we make is unnatural. (By your definition of natural to the environment):sun

pattyohyeah
05-12-2011, 19:48

that's awesome! but the electric lamp is a little overkill for my tastes

FarmRookie 2015
05-15-2011, 18:41
An accoustic instrument played softly before dark wouldn't seem to be much of an intrusion.

Mule & Flash
05-16-2011, 09:30
oh how i would love to happen upon an outdoor concert on the trail! i've played my oboe in the woods for several weddings and the sound is nothing like that in a concert hall. if he was in Gatlinburg a little over a week ago, then we actually have a chance of running into him on the trail next week!

some people do appreciate fine music. i love the music the woods provide on their own and can become completely immersed in it, but i also love a good cello. for some of us, music recharges the soul. and then when we've gotten our fill, we can continue on our hike. you know he's not going to hike faster than you carrying all that extra weight around! :p

58starter
05-16-2011, 15:18
We camped with No Cello at Clyde Smith Shelter around April 6 or 7th. He is an Eagle Scout. He wants to make violins someday. I think he says he lives within a 100 miles of this area. He was a very nice young man. Look forward to running into him again some day. He did not have a cello with him.

MoodyBluer
05-16-2011, 17:19
We camped with No Cello at Clyde Smith Shelter around April 6 or 7th. He is an Eagle Scout. He wants to make violins someday. I think he says he lives within a 100 miles of this area. He was a very nice young man. Look forward to running into him again some day. He did not have a cello with him.

I believe the dude in question is named bass clef...he posted earlier in this thread but his website does not appear to be updated...

gopher
05-17-2011, 07:17
I saw the cello and hikers at the fs 42 trailhead. He was carrying the cello and amp She was carrying gear. The cello was in a bag and is about the size of a golf bag. Judging by the speed they took off weight was not a problem. Music played well is a blessing, played poorly it is to be cursed, any noise after "hiker midnight" is anathema.

swjohnsey
05-20-2011, 18:34
Some comedian has added the universal sign for "no", circle with diagonal line through it with "Cello" to many of the trail signs along the first part of the trail along with, bicycles, horses, motor vehicles.

long island bob
05-26-2011, 15:05
Okay I give up.

Where does he plug-in his electric amp?

Pedaling Fool
05-26-2011, 15:37
Seems to me I remember him or someone mentioning how many and what type of batteries it takes. I want to say six AA, but don't quote me.

MoodyBluer
06-22-2011, 16:16
Any news of our intrepid cello lugger? doesn't appear that he's updated his website and his trailjournals page has no entries...

Slo-go'en
06-23-2011, 11:14
Any news of our intrepid cello lugger? doesn't appear that he's updated his website and his trailjournals page has no entries...

He's long gone. Having seen the load they were trying to carry and the trouble they were having doing so, I knew they would not last long on the trail.

Wuff
06-27-2011, 17:59
I met him and what I think was his lady friend back at Neel's Gap. He played for a bit and he was excellent. Which defies convention because typically when a musician brings an instrument on trail it means he/she is NOT good. Maybe that rule applies only for guitar players...

Haven't heard news of whether he is still on trail, but I doubt it's with the cello if so.

tlamb3
07-02-2011, 16:03
I was working on my trail section between Grassy Gap road and Ramrock Mtn when the two of them passed me heading north. When I got to Ramrock, he was playing out over the valley from the cliff. It was interesting as I do like cello music. But I can't imagine carrying that amp and the cello either for long.

FarmRookie 2015
08-02-2011, 23:35
when a musician brings an instrument on trail it means he/she is NOT good. Maybe that rule applies only for guitar players...

I may attempt to bring a Martin Backpacker (guitar) on my 2015 thru. I have two reasons. It took a long time to learn to play and develop the mechanical skills. 5 or 6 months would seriously degrade those skills. Whether entertaining to others or not, It might prove entertaining to me from time to time. I would not likely play it if anyone was around anyhow.
I find your attitude amusing. Folks who look down at musicians who are "NOT good" generally don't know dooky about playing any instrument, but feel qualified to critique based on having listened to music. As an experienced amatuer, gainfully employed, I'd find it hard to put in the time to get my skills to the level of a pro, nor do I want to. It's a hobby. I expect most folks who golf, bowl, play tennis, ride bikes, run etc are in the same boat. I guess you're saying that unless you're a pro you shouldn't do any of those things. I expect those that do achive pro level skills just didn't pay attention to expert listeners, or they'd have given up early.

Wombat Farm
08-03-2011, 00:09
Hmmm...don't most of us go out into the woods for peace an quiet...I love any stringed instrument...but not while I'm out in the woods. Might be a novelty hearing him play once but imagine every night at camp...I don't think so.
:banana

Slo-go'en
08-03-2011, 10:10
I find your attitude amusing. Folks who look down at musicians who are "NOT good" generally don't know dooky about playing any instrument, but feel qualified to critique based on having listened to music.

Just because we can't play an instrument doesn't mean we can't tell if someone else can or can not. Its pretty easy for even the tone deaf to tell the difference between a soothing melody and what sounds like someone strangling a cat. I've heard both on the trail, but I must say, mostly those who do carry an instrument do know how to play it.

I heard the Cello guy play one night and he is good. But as elgranola says, to hear it every night would get old quick. Of course, he didn't last long on the trail. It was a poor choice of instruments to pick to carry for any distance. But even more suitable instruments usually don't last long either.

Nutbrown
08-03-2011, 22:45
Well, even if he didn't make it the entire way, it will be one hell of a story!

Wuff
08-11-2011, 16:07
I find your attitude amusing. Folks who look down at musicians who are "NOT good" generally don't know dooky about playing any instrument, but feel qualified to critique based on having listened to music. As an experienced amatuer, gainfully employed, I'd find it hard to put in the time to get my skills to the level of a pro, nor do I want to. It's a hobby. I expect most folks who golf, bowl, play tennis, ride bikes, run etc are in the same boat. I guess you're saying that unless you're a pro you shouldn't do any of those things. I expect those that do achive pro level skills just didn't pay attention to expert listeners, or they'd have given up early.

I didn't really mean any offense. I've played the guitar since I was a kid, and while I was on the trail this year I enjoyed the time away from the instrument. It certainly didn't affect my ability when I got back. Personally I really like "taking a break" from playing because often I come back with new ideas and such.

BUT don't get me wrong, bring a guitar if you want. But you might end up annoying non-players and players alike, but they probably won't say anything.