PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Mountain and Gap names

ed bell
01-18-2005, 23:25
I've gotten some good responses from the Trail Names thread. I wonder what names of Mountains, Gaps, Valleys, Streams, Creeks, Rivers, ect we can come up with. :banana

Good Enough Gap- N.C.- Pisgah NF

Rough Butt Bald- N.C.- Blue Ridge Parkway, near Richland Balsam 6410'

Big Tom- N.C.- Sub-peak of Mt. Craig 6600'+

Fryingpan Mountain- N.C.- Blue Ridge Parkway, Pisgah NF

Dog Loser Knob- N.C.- Shining Rock Wilderness Area

Hurricaine Creek- N.C.- Standing Indian Basin

Case Knife Gap- N.C.- Southern Nantahala Wilderness

Footslogger
01-18-2005, 23:32
Just gotta be SNICKERS GAP !!

Don't think I have a favorite mountain ...YET !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

Miss Janet
01-18-2005, 23:42
Where is Lick Skillet Hollow??

A-Train
01-18-2005, 23:49

AHAHA :)

zephyr1034
01-19-2005, 00:04
Fightin' Creek Gap, on the Tennessee side of the Smokies.

The Solemates
01-19-2005, 10:36
We were just at Good Enough Gap a couple weeks ago. Had lunch there acutally.

All of these are only in NC. Many more exist along the AT...I just dont want to dig out the data book right now.

01-19-2005, 19:08
Dead Woman Hollow Road.

Little more than a forrest service road. Got a great picture of the sign.

MOWGLI
01-19-2005, 19:27
I still think that the Firey Gizzard Trail is a great name. What is a Firey Gizzard anyway? Is that what you get after a long night of drinking?

grizzlyadam
01-19-2005, 19:29
the chunky gal trail in NC is a great name.

Footslogger
01-19-2005, 19:54
the chunky gal trail in NC is a great name.======================================

I liked it but my wife didn't find it all that humorous ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

Jack Tarlin
01-19-2005, 20:05
I camped one FREEZING night on "Frozen Knob" in Tennessee.

It was very well named indeed.

Hikerhead
01-19-2005, 20:53

It's in Va. Starting at the next rd crossing south of the rd crossing before you climb to Dismal Falls. Heading north..Rd crossing>Lick Skillet Hollow>Power Line on mtn top>cross major creek, nice suspension bridge>Cross rd and continue to Dismal Falls or turn left and go to campground behind the store. I think this is correct.

Where's my map?

Lilred
01-19-2005, 21:09
I still think that the Firey Gizzard Trail is a great name. What is a Firey Gizzard anyway? Is that what you get after a long night of drinking?

There are a couple of stories that I know of as to how that area got its name. One story is that Davy Crockett was down there cooking up an animal and the gizzard was so hot it burned his mouth.

Another has to do with Indian lore in which it was customary to throw a gizzard into the fire for some kind of symbolism.

DMA, 2000
01-19-2005, 21:23
When darkness is setting in, and it's hard to see, the sign at Swinging Lick Gap seems to suggest something else altogether.

Rain Man
01-19-2005, 21:27
I've camped in Lick Log Gap and climbed over Big Butt Mountain, both in NC.

Horace Kephart says mountaineers used to hew out a log and put salt in for their animals to lick, thus "Lick Log."

He also says the same mountain highlanders spelled "butte" as "butt," thus we get "Big Butt" instead of "Big Butte," as it would be out west.

Just read "Our Southern Highlanders," a WONDERFUL book.
:sun
Rain Man

Groucho
01-19-2005, 22:29
Not gaps or mountains but the Fittified Spring in the Smokies and the Murder Hole in VA are near the trail.

ARambler
01-19-2005, 22:32
Not much of a gap, but this was my favorite too.

Does your picture show the Disabled Hunting area sign? Apparently woman in wheel chairs are inherently easier to shoot than men. Although I'd be a lot more impressed if the study came from MIT instead of Harvard.

Dead Woman Hollow Road.

Little more than a forrest service road. Got a great picture of the sign.

foggy-bottom
01-19-2005, 22:38
You Naked Mountain... or is it Unaka Mountain?:-?

walkin' wally
01-20-2005, 15:30
The aptly named Tumbledown Mountain in Maine. Not on the AT but not that far away either.

The Old Fhart
01-20-2005, 16:13
Hey, let's hear it for Tumbledown Dick Mountain near Gilead, ME.

A-Train
01-20-2005, 17:54
It's in Va. Starting at the next rd crossing south of the rd crossing before you climb to Dismal Falls. Heading north..Rd crossing>Lick Skillet Hollow>Power Line on mtn top>cross major creek, nice suspension bridge>Cross rd and continue to Dismal Falls or turn left and go to campground behind the store. I think this is correct.

Where's my map?

HH,

I think Miss Janet was making a joke about a movie that some hikers made. I watched it at her house and its great. One of the guy (while reading his data book) continually asks where Lickskillet Hollow is and is trying to do the math to figure out where he is. Its hilarious.

But you're right on about the location :)

SavageLlama
01-20-2005, 21:47
Smuggler's Notch - just dig the name. :cool:

ed bell
01-20-2005, 23:16
Maggot Ridge and Maggot Springs Gap- N.C.- Smokys Cataloochee Area
Water filter anyone???

flyfisher
01-20-2005, 23:56
I camped one FREEZING night on "Frozen Knob" in Tennessee.

It was very well named indeed.
Me too. It was my second ever night on the trail. I had walked way too far and 14 hours. My knee was killing me and I really wanted to make the next shelter.

As I climbed up to the gap past all those waterfalls, my knee started to creak. The weather was warm and there was still light.

I climbed up the additional 500 feet to Frozen Knob and along the way walked around a corner of the mountain into a bank of dense cloud that was blowing from my left.

I finally ended up spending the night in a campsite with the wet wind gently blowing all night long in 100 percent humidity.

The next morning I discovered that my knee really hurt when taking steps down hill.

I reduced my mileage and did make it to Erwin two and a half days later.

flyfisher
01-21-2005, 00:04
The first mountain top on the AT that I visited was Wayah Bald. I had spent the summer down in the Franklin Valley at a Christian Retreat center learning how to be counselors. The year was 1975.

The owner of the center knew an unusual Episcopal Priest named Rufus Morgan who liked to climb Mt. Leconte on his birthday every year. It was decided that the group of about 40 of us would hike with Rufus on his birthday.

To get us in shape, we went on several day hikes. One was from the gap below Wayah Bald to its top. It was a good walk - short but demanding. Somewhere along the way we ran into a tree filled with yellow jackets. Several people were stung.

I visited there again this last May on my hike from Springer to Clingman's Dome. The top of the mountain looked like it had grown up a LOT since I was there last. I seem to remember a Bald with significant grassy areas. It is all trees now.

I liked the spot well enought that I have called my soon to open publishing house Wayah Press. I like the mountain, the fact that the name means Wolf and the memory of my two visits to that mountain top 30 years apart.

ed bell
03-06-2006, 20:57
There is an Old Butt Knob with an Ugly Creek that flows off the NE face in Shining Rock Wilderness, N.C.:D

Ridge
03-06-2006, 21:14
I like Deep Gap, there are 3 in Ga and 23 in NC. So, if you tell someone to meet you at Deep Gap, NC give the GPS coordinates. The one I like is the one off NC 64, at the base of Standing Indian Mtn and the AT runs thru it.
This is one of the most remote points to access the AT.

Hikerhead
03-06-2006, 22:47
Tinker Cliffs in Va. Did my first long hike across there starting at 311 and ending down below the cliffs at the trail head (rt 788 i think it is). Anyway, I had on old boots = blisters, underestimated the time it would take, got dark around where the gap is before climbing up. Then a hellashish storm comes up just before reaching the top. We hid out for awhile ducked down in or behind some rocks but it looked like this might be an all nighter so finally just said the hell with it, lets geta hiking. Thunder, lightning, winds like hell and I've never been across the cliffs before. I was lucky to think about bringing a flashlight. Got to the car around 10 that night. Because of all of this it will always be someplace special to me.

tiamalle
03-06-2006, 23:12
the chunky gal trail in NC is a great name.Les Waldroop was a folk song writter from in this area and he wrote the song
Cross eyed Sal from the Chunky Gal.He also wrote,The Appalachian Trail,
Knoxville,Tn Worlds Fair and Watergate Bugs which landed him trouble with Richard Nixon.He was raised in those mountians just below Rock Gap.Very famous musician in this area.Though Les passed away about ten years ago.I'm friends with his family and I'm trying to get his nephews to play for the April Hiker Fool Fest in Franklin Mar 30 til Apr 3rd in which are just as talented for at least one of the nights.Wade plays as good as Chet Atkins.

Ridge
03-06-2006, 23:17
the chunky gal trail in NC is a great name.

I believe I'm correct in saying that this trail, intersecting the AT near Deep Gap NC, is part of the "Trail of Tears" that the Cherokee's were forced marched out of Ga on.

tiamalle
03-06-2006, 23:28
I like Deep Gap, there are 3 in Ga and 23 in NC. So, if you tell someone to meet you at Deep Gap, NC give the GPS coordinates. The one I like is the one off NC 64, at the base of Standing Indian Mtn and the AT runs thru it.
This is one of the most remote points to access the AT.This deep gap has brought forth many celebrations nine months latter.:eek:
Through the summer,all these teenagers wants to take their girlfriends deep into the deep gap and show them where the A T crosses.;)
Strange they always want to take them to see it after dark.:-?
Humm some kinda deep gap:confused: