PDA

View Full Version : Pack Size

hikerjohnd
01-19-2005, 00:33
I was just wondering if a 2450 cu pack would be large enough for a thru hike? I'm not an ultra lighter, but my base weight is about 25 lbs. looking at a pack that is on sale at Campmor...

A-Train
01-19-2005, 00:57
No I'd say definately not, though some ultra-lite freaks here may detest.

A pack of that size is possible for a thru-hike if you have absolutely everything trimmed to a minimum, but witha base weight of 25 lbs, you'll likely be coming in around 35+ with food and water. A pack of that small capacity likely will fall apart if you try to jam that much into it and mostly those packs are made to support 20 lbs or less (including food and water).

Since you mentioned Campmor, you might wanna check out the Gregory G-Pack on sale for 69 bucks. You could get into that pack with a bit of tweaking. Just a suggestion. Not my favorite pack, but a very good buy if price is an issue

hikerjohnd
01-19-2005, 01:14
Thanks A-Train - I didn't think it would be, but I was trying to talk myself into it... I'll check out the Gregory G-Pack and see what it has to offer...

--John

Jaybird
01-19-2005, 08:32
I was just wondering if a 2450 cu pack would be large enough for a thru hike? I'm not an ultra lighter, but my base weight is about 25 lbs. looking at a pack that is on sale at Campmor...

this might help...from REI.com (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47690736&parent_category_rn=4500572&vcat=REI_SEARCH):

How to Choose Backpacks

Manufacturers offer two main types of packs: internal- or external-frame. For overnighters, get a pack with a capacity of 2,500 to 3,000 cubic inches. You can carry enough gear for about three days with a pack that holds 3,000 to 4,000 cubic inches. Read more (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47690736&parent_category_rn=4500572&vcat=REI_SEARCH)...
Related articles:
• How to Fit a Backpack Clinic

good luck w/ yer hike! :D

JoeHiker
01-19-2005, 12:43
I'm going to hijack this thread for a second and ask: How much volume in a pack do you think one really does need for a thru-hike? What volume do thru-hikers here find necessary

I'm just doing the Long Trail this fall but part of the goal is to do a shake-down for a possible AT-Thru Hike. I have just about everything I need except the pack. I've been looking at a few of the lighter ones like

Granite Gear Vapor Trail (3600 ci)
Six Moon Designs Starlite '05 (4100 ci -- with all pockets)
Kiskil Mithril (4100 ci -- 6250 ci, depending on which one you buy)
McHale Popcan (3500+ ci)
Gossamer Gear Mariposa (4200 ci)

I don't know which, if any of these are adequate for my needs. I haven't weighed everything together yet but it's looking like my base weight is going to be somewhere in the range of 15-17 pounds

My bag is a WM Alpinlite and my tent will either be a Tarptent Squall or a Hennessey Hammock UL Backpacker Asym. Those are the "big volume" items

How much volume do the thru-hikers here feel you need?

Footslogger
01-19-2005, 12:58
I was just wondering if a 2450 cu pack would be large enough for a thru hike? I'm not an ultra lighter, but my base weight is about 25 lbs. looking at a pack that is on sale at Campmor...======================================== ==
Does it hold all your stuff ?? Is it comfortable when fully loaded ??

Those are the relevant questions. I was able to get 24 - 26 lbs into a 2800 cu in pack for my thru-hike in 2003 (Granite Gear Vapor Trail - size Medium ...vendor rated at 3600 but I didn't use the storm collar area) but your gear list might be different.

I should mention that I now carry the ULA Fusion, which has a pack bag capacity of 2300 cu in (plus outer storage pockets) and it holds all my gear/clothing for distance hikes.

The number doesn't matter as much as whether it works or not ....but I've have to say that unless you've really got your gear/clothing/food down to a minimum that sized pack might be a tad on the tight side.

'Slogger
AT 2003

chris
01-19-2005, 13:05
I'm going to hijack this thread for a second and ask: How much volume in a pack do you think one really does need for a thru-hike? What volume do thru-hikers here find necessary

How much volume do the thru-hikers here feel you need?

The ULA P2 will give you almost 5000 ci of total storage and is certainly fine for lightweight to medium weight hikers (think 18-32 lbs base weight). If you are on the lighter end of the spectrum, use a P1, which is what I do, except that it was modified to be a bit larger in volume. In general, I like around 2500-3000 ci of internal storage, another 600-900 from an extension collar, and 800-1000 of external storage. The external pockets are very important to me, as I put things like my tarp, water, fuel, oil, tobacco, maps, etc out there. I like the extra storage space since frequently I bypass resupply points that require much of a hitch and carry a lot of food at times.

On something like the AT, one could certainly use something small, like a GoLite Breeze (about $70, about 2800 ci total storage?) would work fine if you were a committed ultralighter. Granite gear packs of various sizes are very popular. But, no one makes a better thruhiking pack that ULA. If you want something added onto the pack (like a bigger pack bag), just ask Brian.

Kerosene
01-19-2005, 17:03
How much volume in a pack do you think one really does need for a thru-hike?As others have stated, it depends on how well all the stuff you're bringing fits, but given your estimated 15-17 pound base weight, I think that you would be very satisfied with the Granite Gear Vapor Trail or perhaps the Nimbus Ozone if you wanted a touch more carrying capacity. You can certainly go smaller or larger, but I'd at least think about starting with one of these packs. I liked the ULA designs (especially the hipbelt pockets and mesh stuff pocket), but I couldn't wait for the turnaround when I purchased my Nimbus 18 months ago.

loansome walker
01-19-2005, 23:01
I waited for the P2 and am very pleased with it. It is plenty big enough for all your gear yet still light enough and will support large loads for long days. I used mine in Alaska and the Yukon this summer and fall and loaded for 5 day hikes with bear canister (had to carry these in Kulane and glad we did as we had a grizzly visit one morning) and non light weight tents (7 lbs) and cooking systems (4 lbs)some days I climbed and decended as much as 4000 ft and other days I hiked as much as thirty K and found the pack to preform well. The shoulder straps could of had a little more padding when I carried over 40 lbs but this is not how I intend to use this pack regularly it was only a test to see how it would stand up for my thru hike. This pack held up better than I did to long slides down mountains and being washed away in raging rivers. I didn't keep water out very well when doused in the river but then I never seam sealed it which is done now. Now that I have the hip belt pockets I don't know how I ever got along with out them. IMHO it lets me do just about anything and gives me the flexibility to go light or pack more food and water and go longer without resuppling. Good luck on the AT and maybe we will run into each other out there.

hustler
01-19-2005, 23:24
I would say 2800 is more than enough if your starting in April. I carried a 1900 cubic for most of the trail and it worked fine. I makes you think about what you buy in town and keeps your weight down. I bought an Aeather 45 which is 2800 and it is plenty big. I did some fall backpacking in Colorado and hauled a fair amount of gear with me. It felt fine up to 30 pounds.

tlbj6142
01-19-2005, 23:53
I used a 30L (~1800ci) pack on a 5-day trip in ME, without issue. The only item not in my pack was my pad, which was tied to the back. I easily had room for another 2-days worth of food.

However, I should point out that I'm not a thru-hiker, as such I don't need (and can't even eat) 2-3# of food while hiking. I only take 22-24oz per day.

Given that, I'd take a pack with 2500-3000 ci (total volume, including ext. collar and outside pockets) on a thru-hike. Just for the food. Water isn't really a concern on the AT.

Besides the packs listed above, check out the Gossamer Gear Mariposa (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Mariposa-Standard.html).

Nightwalker
01-20-2005, 00:03
I just bought an Osprey Aether 60. 3 lbs 6 oz, 3800 ci. Wears like a dream. Last year's Gregory Stinger was a bit heavy--maybe just felt that way, only two pounds more--and only carried 3200 ci. It was a tight fit, but doable. I think 3800 will be plenty, as my sleeping bag will compress more. It's a Mountainsmith Wisp down versus The North Face Blaze Polarguard 3D. I'm hoping for a sub-30 pound load, including food and water. I've learned that I need a lot less than I used to think I did.

Frank

Nightwalker
01-20-2005, 00:07
Granite Gear Vapor Trail (3600 ci)
There's a lot of folks liking that one. The volume and weight are about right.

The GG website has a claim of a high percentage of thru finishers carrying a Vapor Trail.

Frank

hikerjohnd
01-20-2005, 00:09
I've seen a few responses and read about packs with a "collar" - What is that exactly? I envision something around my neck, but that can't be it...

Footslogger
01-20-2005, 00:12
I've seen a few responses and read about packs with a "collar" - What is that exactly? I envision something around my neck, but that can't be it...=================================
Most internal frame packs have a section of material at the top of the pack that can either be drawn shut and rolled down to secure and protect the contents or it can actually used as available pack space. This section is often referred to as the collar or storm collar of a pack.

'Slogger
AT 2003

hikerjohnd
01-20-2005, 00:17
Oh Thank you 'Slogger! I have been going nuts on this one! I am an external frame fan at heart, but you WBers have made me see the light on other issues... Like the pepsi can stove!

Thanks again!

superman
01-20-2005, 09:16
The pack size is only the container to carry your stuff in. At this point I've given away all my packs that were over 4000 cu in. I've known lots of hikers that summated with monster packs. I hiked with a young man who was carrying 12 hard bound books easily. The first time I saw Pat from Maine I thought it was a put on. She's a small 5'2" carrying a pack that was over 5000cu in. She looked like a furniture mover. It turned out that she used to carry a lot of fleece stuff to stay warm. In about "98" on the Long Trail two guys got to the shelter just before dark and they were exhausted. They'd hiked about 7 miles that day after buying all their brand new gear at the outfitters. They litterily had about 100 lbs. of light weight gear and enough food to go non-stop for 100 miles. I made some polite suggestions to them which they discounted. I didn't fit their vision of a hiker since I was wearing work boots and carrying a medium size alice pack. In the morning when they tried to leave I had to hold one of their packs up because the guy couldn't lift it onto his back.
My point with these little anecdotes is that size matters, weight matters and fit matters but it's just what is right for you. There are more problems when you go to extremes but everything in between is just good hiking.:jump