PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating...fruit cocktail?!?

Buffalo Skipper
04-07-2011, 17:26
Has anyone ever tried to dehydrate a cup of fruit cocktail? It would be easy to rehydrate, just put a single serving in a snack size zip lock and add water. Even if it took a while, just do it before when before you fix dinner.

Could make a great snack or lunch-desert?

Any ideas of how to do this?

sarbar
04-07-2011, 17:29
If you do, buy the type packed in fruit juice, rather than heavy or light syrup, both of which often are corn syrup. Your drying will be better.

grayfox
04-07-2011, 17:48
I would think that a simple mix of dried fruit would make a fruit cocktail like snack a whole lot better and easier than drying that stuff they put in cans. I don't like the stuff so I'm just guessing here but; dried pineaple, cherries, pears, raisins, banana chips, apples and peaches--mix how you like them....

And check out "Just Veggies" brand of dried fruits and veggies, I think they may sell a mix they call fruit cocktail. Too easy, I know.

Buffalo Skipper
04-08-2011, 09:36
I would think that a simple mix of dried fruit would make a fruit cocktail like snack a whole lot better and easier than drying that stuff they put in cans. I don't like the stuff so I'm just guessing here but; dried pineaple, cherries, pears, raisins, banana chips, apples and peaches--mix how you like them....

And check out "Just Veggies" brand of dried fruits and veggies, I think they may sell a mix they call fruit cocktail. Too easy, I know.

A local store carries the "Just Veggies" line, but their selection is limited.

Thanks for the ideas.

BigRing
04-08-2011, 12:35
Yes, I have tried this. The fruit does not dry out completely...kinda like a gummi, but is still good. I don't have the most expensive dehydrator, but I have found that draining it well is the most important part. I put the fruit on parchment paper while in the dehydrator. After they were dried, I dusted with powdered sugar or corn starch to keep them from sticking together.

Farr Away
04-12-2011, 12:31
It may dry a little better if you don't use parchment paper - better air circulation. The main reasons to use parchment paper are for small items that would fall through the screens or for liquids.

You can also put plastic craft canvas on the screens instead to keep small items from falling through.

You can use non-stick cooking spray on the screens to make it easier to get the food off after it's dry. Putting the trays in the freezer for an hour after the food is dry will also make it easier to get the food off.

Pringles
04-12-2011, 13:15
If you drain it, then run it through the blender, then dry it like a fruit leather it's pretty yummy. :-)

Pringles

88BlueGT
04-12-2011, 20:04
Damn I need to get myself a dehydrator!

JERMM
04-12-2011, 20:21
i've dehydrated canned sliced pears and pineapple, they turned out fantastic to eat dried. i chopped up the pears and added to hot water and couscous. I would think canned pears and fruit cocktail would be similar in re-hydrating.

mweinstone
04-12-2011, 20:44
i wish folks would use there ovens just once for a comparasin to your dehydraters. with or without a wood spoon in the door letting out moisture depending on foods drying. in my humble, have eaten way more dry food than all of you opinion,....dehydraters impart a taste. a plastic taste some foods can hide while others are ruined by. in my opinion.ovens are like well seasoned dryers while dehydraters are like sterile nausitoriums.lol.