PDA

View Full Version : charges for mail drops?

stonedflea
04-07-2011, 17:49
if i were to have a mail drop scheduled for a place that i wasn't planning on staying, let's just say the blueberry patch since i can't stay there b/c of my dog, would they charge for holding? it doesn't state a fee in the a.t. guide, but is it normal for places to charge hiking non-guests for mail drops? or if not, is it considered rude not to "donate" when i pick up my package? what's a general amount?

10-K
04-07-2011, 17:51
if i were to have a mail drop scheduled for a place that i wasn't planning on staying, let's just say the blueberry patch since i can't stay there b/c of my dog, would they charge for holding? it doesn't state a fee in the a.t. guide, but is it normal for places to charge hiking non-guests for mail drops? or if not, is it considered rude not to "donate" when i pick up my package? what's a general amount?

If I don't stay I usually pony up a $5 donation and say thanks.

RayBan
04-07-2011, 18:18
Calling and asking the policy would seem to avoid both the possibility that a place might not accept drops to begin with and also how they want to handle things (including $ for the same) if they do accept drops...

Panzer1
04-07-2011, 18:20
you should always call before sending a mail drop, especially if it contains something really important.

Panzer

10-K
04-07-2011, 18:29
you should always call before sending a mail drop, especially if it contains something really important.

Panzer

Absolutely this too.... I call even well known hiker stops before sending a package to make sure it's still ok and that nothing has changed....

Just went through this on my BMT mail drops... Called one place and they gave me a different address to send it to.

Ron Haven
04-07-2011, 18:50
THe Blue Berry Patch is run by great people and I don't know their policy but you are welcome to send a mail drop to Hiawassee Budget Inn and of my motels in Franklin, all are free of charge for mail drops.

Dogwood
04-07-2011, 19:33
There are no hard and fast rules about sending a mail drop to a place where you are not staying but it's wise to always call ahead and ask about what is normal practice for that particular place you are sending a mail drop when you will not be staying there. IMO, even if the place doesn't demand money I still offer it(about $5) out of courtesy and respect to the place for the handling and storage of my resupply box. I ALWAYS try to keep in mind as I hike that what I do reflects on those who come after me and the hiking community.

Lone Wolf
04-07-2011, 20:33

very rude not to offer. a few bucks will do

Blissful
04-07-2011, 20:56
Only once place we didn't stay 'cause they didn't have room for us. Had no problem giving us the box and I didn't pay them for it as we were going to stay but no room at the inn.