PDA

View Full Version : DWG to VT Border + LT e2e??

Amanita
04-07-2011, 19:31
I have 7 weeks over the summer in which I'd like to do a section hike finishing at journey's end on the Long Trail. Deleware water gap is about 300 miles south of the VT/Mass border, plus the 275 mile LT is 575 miles in 49 days, averaging about 12 miles a day. I need to hit the LT between 3 and 4 weeks in so that I have time to finish it.

So I have some questions about this plan.

1. Does it sound doable for someone starting off without their "trail legs?" At most I'll get 1-2 day hikes between now and the start, so I certainly won't be making "big miles" right out of the gate.

2. Is there somewhere particularly good to start down there? Starting 3-9 days south of a particularly good trail town (with an outfitter) might be nice, in case I want to swap out gear. But mostly I'm concerned about getting the timing right for when I hit VT.

3. What maps/guide should I get? I know I'm getting GMC maps and the e2e guide for the long trail, but south of that I'm unsure.

It'll be pretty early in the season, which is why I'm going northbound. Definitely packing bug gear, and preparing myself for "Vermud." Of course being from Vermont I *mostly* know what to expect for mud.

Any general advice on how to tackle this section would be appreciated.

Dogwood
04-07-2011, 19:42
Everyone is a bit different but IMO that sounds doable for most. You'll roll through NJ; good place to get your trail legs. Vermont will be harder. It seems like a GREAT combination of hiking adventures. My only thought is that you did not allow for any "zero" days. 49 days staright of hiking?

Amanita
04-07-2011, 19:53
Everyone is a bit different but IMO that sounds doable for most. You'll roll through NJ; good place to get your trail legs. Vermont will be harder. It seems like a GREAT combination of hiking adventures. My only thought is that you did not allow for any "zero" days. 49 days staright of hiking?

Since I don't really know how my pace is going to work out, I based my goal on this article: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12885

It gives paces with zeros included, so I used those numbers to make some conservative guesses. Finishing the LT early is an option, but getting to the VT border too early would be bad, as I'm dancing pretty close to the official "open date" of memorial day weekend. As anxious as I am to hike the LT, I'd like to respect the GMC's wishes.

Driver8
04-07-2011, 23:34
Since I don't really know how my pace is going to work out, I based my goal on this article: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12885

It gives paces with zeros included, so I used those numbers to make some conservative guesses. Finishing the LT early is an option, but getting to the VT border too early would be bad, as I'm dancing pretty close to the official "open date" of memorial day weekend. As anxious as I am to hike the LT, I'd like to respect the GMC's wishes.

If you happen to make fast time and find you have time to burn, there are some excellent trails which spur off the AT in the south Taconics near Bear Mountain and Everett, as well as around the Greylock Reservation. A side trip to Frissell and Brace/South Brace would be nice, and I hear the Hopper Trail at Greylock is amazing.