PDA

View Full Version : Tent ideas?

earlyriser26
04-07-2011, 19:45
Ok, while I am looking for a lighter weight tent (current weights about 5 lbs), I am not looking for a small tent. I want a free standing tent that is very roomy for 1 person with good head room. I have been in "two person" tents that were two small. I have an REI half dome now.

Joey C
04-07-2011, 19:57
MSR Hubba Hubba seems fairly popular. http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hubba-hubba/product

I'm a hammock person myself. But since you asked about tents, this is a large size tent that I've seen a lot of on the trail. Folks I talked to really liked it.

map man
04-07-2011, 20:18
Try looking at the Double Rainbow tarptent at tarptent.com. It's free-standing if you use two trekking poles on the ends, and weighs 2.5 pounds.

stonedflea
04-07-2011, 20:24
i've got an msr hubba hubba. i love it! it's awesomely big for myself and my dog, so i'm sure for a solo, the hubba would work for you. :)

earlyriser26
04-07-2011, 20:44
i've got an msr hubba hubba. i love it! it's awesomely big for myself and my dog, so i'm sure for a solo, the hubba would work for you. :)
Unfortunately, my REI Half Dome weight is 4lb 9oz (fully packed weight on scale) the Hubba Hubba is listed at 4lbs. 8oz. I kind of wanted a lb. Maybe I can't get without compromises.

darkage
04-08-2011, 01:46
If ya wanna save weight, ya gotta go non free standing ... lightheart duo/solong6 or the msr carbon reflex 2 ... under 2 pounds for the lightheart stuff and 2 lbs 13 ounces i believe for the CR2 ... Tarptents are another idea ... or terra nova's hyperlite ... might be too small ..

stonedflea
04-08-2011, 01:59
Unfortunately, my REI Half Dome weight is 4lb 9oz (fully packed weight on scale) the Hubba Hubba is listed at 4lbs. 8oz. I kind of wanted a lb. Maybe I can't get without compromises.

i wasn't very clear w/my post. :) msr has a solo, hubba model as well as the two-person, hubba hubba model. i was trying tosay that the HH is plenty big enough for my dog and our gear, so the solo msr hubba might be big enough dor you. :)

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/search?query=msr+hubba&un_form_encoding=utf-8

Tinker
04-08-2011, 02:29
The poles and stakes alone for most larger freestanding tents will weigh 2 lbs.

earlyriser26
04-08-2011, 05:57
If ya wanna save weight, ya gotta go non free standing ... lightheart duo/solong6 or the msr carbon reflex 2 ... under 2 pounds for the lightheart stuff and 2 lbs 13 ounces i believe for the CR2 ... Tarptents are another idea ... or terra nova's hyperlite ... might be too small ..
I looked at the MSR carbon reflex 2. Saves the lb. I am looking for, maybe I have to reconsider free standing... But I love freestanding.... LOL:-?

leaftye
04-08-2011, 06:12
Big Sky has a couple tents that will save you the pound and more.

Hoop
04-08-2011, 07:41
If you have the dough, look at Black Diamond tents.

earlyriser26
04-08-2011, 09:39
If you have the dough, look at Black Diamond tents.
Money is generally not a consideration:sun

darkage
04-08-2011, 12:00
I looked at the MSR carbon reflex 2. Saves the lb. I am looking for, maybe I have to reconsider free standing... But I love freestanding.... LOL:-?

Yeah, i did too .... Being able to dump the tent upside down to clean it and move it around easily was nice ... but i found even in rocky PA i don't have a problem staking it down ... the concerns of non-freestanding are over-rated.

But as always, personal choice is above all ... what about the BA seedhouse SL?
I'm not a fan of the doggy door style tents, but its 2 lbs 14 oz trail weight for a free-standing.

wystiria
04-11-2011, 10:31
FYI my MSR Hubba Hubba with minimum stakes, cut to length lighter cord tie downs, weighs in at 3lbs 14oz. , 4lbs with the foot print.

We also own a "Hubba" single man tent, same height as the Hubba Hubba, but much narrower and only one vestibule. this one with minimum stakes/tie downs weighs in at 2 lbs on the money.

wystiria
04-11-2011, 10:32
Oh and obviously these weights reflect leaving all the bags at home; i.e. tent bag, stake bag, pole bag, etc.

Harrison Bergeron
04-11-2011, 19:17
I just bought an SMD Vamp. It's on sale half price. To my eye, it looks likes the greatest solo backpacking tent ever invented, but for some reason I can't find any reviews on it and SMD is closing it out. There must be some critical flaw, but what can I say, I'm a risk-taker.

Size-wise, it's bigger than the Light Heart and weighs the same as the Lightheart and Lunar Solo, less than the Moment or Rainbow and barely more than the Contrail. It's double-wall, but unlike the Lightheart, you can use the net tent alone in an AT shelter.

Why these things aren't selling like hot cakes is beyond me. I figure it must be the name (aren't we all sick of the vampire craze?)

tat44too
04-11-2011, 19:27
Have you checked out "Nemo's?" (Nemo Equipment) I have the Moto 1P and the Morpho 2P. Maybe the Morpho 1P will suit your fancy? If not, they offer many other choices. Just a thought, good luck to ya...

Chomp09
04-12-2011, 09:25
Another vote for the Hubba Hubba here. One great option about this tent (and I guess many other two person free standing, I just happen to have experience with this one) is that outside of black fly season you can use it as a fast fly set up. That not only decreases the total weight you're carrying but also increases the internal space you have to work with.

We went this route on our sobo hike and didn't have any regrets!

scope
04-12-2011, 10:13
Ok, while I am looking for a lighter weight tent (current weights about 5 lbs), I am not looking for a small tent. I want a free standing tent that is very roomy for 1 person with good head room. I have been in "two person" tents that were two small. I have an REI half dome now.

Try looking at the Double Rainbow tarptent at tarptent.com. It's free-standing if you use two trekking poles on the ends, and weighs 2.5 pounds.

Yes, I think to get the room you want and lower the weight, you're going to have to look at a design that utilizes trekking poles.

Lightheart tents are very roomy for the weight, and the Wedge is semi-freestanding.

i wasn't very clear w/my post. :) msr has a solo, hubba model as well as the two-person, hubba hubba model. i was trying tosay that the HH is plenty big enough for my dog and our gear, so the solo msr hubba might be big enough dor you. :)

IMO, the Hubba qualifies as a small tent, no? Good headroom for small tent, but very narrow when zipped up.

[QUOTE=Chomp09;1144630]Another vote for the Hubba Hubba here. One great option about this tent (and I guess many other two person free standing, I just happen to have experience with this one) is that outside of black fly season you can use it as a fast fly set up. That not only decreases the total weight you're carrying but also increases the internal space you have to work with...

HH is a great tent, but IMO it does not significantly do anything more than his current tent does. If I'm not mistaken, the half dome also can be setup in fast fly mode. You can also use a tarp (with bug net if needed).

So folks, can we get off the Hubba Hubba thing already?

wystiria
04-12-2011, 13:27
HH is a great tent, but IMO it does not significantly do anything more than his current tent does. If I'm not mistaken, the half dome also can be setup in fast fly mode. You can also use a tarp (with bug net if needed).

The HH drops a 1lbs off his half dome - the point of his search. which is why it keeps coming up. his initial weights are from websites and are full packaged weights (even though he lists the HD weight based on his packing). He likes his halfdome becasue it has the room he wants and is freestanding, but he would like to shave a lbs off....which makes the HH fit the bill.

I have no issue with other tents and own plenty - but with that criteria....

wystiria
04-12-2011, 13:34
Official weights from the manufacturers

Half Dome 2
Fly +Footprint = 3lbs 13oz
average min = 5lbs
average packaged = 5lbs 8 oz
Fly / footprint pitch weight3 lbs. 13 oz. Average minimum weight5 poundsAverage packaged weight5 lbs. 8 oz.

MSR Hubba Hubba
Fly +Footprint = 3lbs
average min = 4lbs
average packaged = 4lbs 8 oz
Fly / footprint pitch weight3 lbs. 13 oz. Average minimum weight5 poundsAverage packaged weight5 lbs. 8 oz.

essentially the same tent room/function wise.

wystiria
04-12-2011, 13:36
sorry about the additional c&P it wasn't showing when I was typing I thought it wasn't coming through - can't edit becasue I am not a contributing member.

Old Hiker
04-12-2011, 13:40
Steep and Cheap has been running the Alps Zephyer 1.0 AL for about $70. Got my wife one last summer and it's been great. Narrow, but has good head room. She's 5'2" and I'm 6'2" and we each can fit, but probably not together. 3 lbs 10 oz or so. (I hammock, though.) Picked up another a couple of weeks ago, just in case.

Rockhound
04-12-2011, 13:43
I see HH mentioned often here and maybe I missed it but I do not see the Hubba Hubba HP mentioned. I think it shaves about another pound off the Hubba Hubba. Of course it also adds about $150. Any lighter and I think you'll have to lose your attachment to free standing or sacrafice some space. Sorry if you work for a competitor Scope but the HubbaHubba HP is the tent the original poster is looking for.

wystiria
04-12-2011, 13:51
I see HH mentioned often here and maybe I missed it but I do not see the Hubba Hubba HP mentioned. I think it shaves about another pound off the Hubba Hubba. Of course it also adds about $150. Any lighter and I think you'll have to lose your attachment to free standing or sacrafice some space. Sorry if you work for a competitor Scope but the HubbaHubba HP is the tent the original poster is looking for.

I forgot about that one! no longer in production I think but saves 8oz over the regular HH. I remember thinking about getting one (my husband loves the HH and its two doors, room and freestanding) but decided not to spend the cash for 8oz.

but for the OP it could work.

Chomp09
04-12-2011, 14:36
I don't think the HP is being made any longer. Additionally, MSR is currently experiencing some production issues with their tents and if you decide to go the new Hubba Hubba route, I'd suggest snatching one up before they're completely sold out. Sounds like it may be later this summer before everything's straightened out...

Harrison Bergeron
04-12-2011, 18:39
I asked SMD why they're closing out the Vamp at half price. The reason? They were too expensive to make.

They're replacing it with the "Skyscape", which will be a hybrid doublewall. It should be a little lighter, but like the Lightheart, you won't be able to use the bug tent separately. To me, that seemed like an important feature for the AT, since I plan to use the shelters when I can. I'm sure the Skyscape will be an excellent tent, but the Vamp sounds like a real steal.

Papa D
04-12-2011, 21:11
How about a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 - I think its packed weight is under 4 lbs - there is a new one - yall know that I too am a big fan of the Hubbas but you asked for a new idea so ......

Papa D
04-12-2011, 21:14
Really wish MSR would make a Hubba with carbon fiber poles - I have both the Carbon Reflex (non-free standing) and the Regular Hubba (free-standing, but with heavier poles) - seems like the best of both worlds - I've rigged (as in jerry-rigged) my carbon reflex with some cord and such to make it semi- free standing for now.

One Half
04-12-2011, 21:30
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 is 3lb 6oz and is free standing. Easy setup too. Plenty of room for 1 + gear. I didn't want to carry the extra weight so I went with the Fly Creek UL1 at 1lb 14oz. No extra room in this one and I'm just 5'3".

scope
04-20-2011, 17:11

The HH drops a 1lbs off his half dome - the point of his search. which is why it keeps coming up. his initial weights are from websites and are full packaged weights (even though he lists the HD weight based on his packing). He likes his halfdome becasue it has the room he wants and is freestanding, but he would like to shave a lbs off....which makes the HH fit the bill.

I have no issue with other tents and own plenty - but with that criteria....

Official weights from the manufacturers

Half Dome 2
Fly +Footprint = 3lbs 13oz
average min = 5lbs
average packaged = 5lbs 8 oz

MSR Hubba Hubba
Fly +Footprint = 3lbs
average min = 4lbs
average packaged = 4lbs 8 oz

essentially the same tent room/function wise.

...Sorry if you work for a competitor Scope but the HubbaHubba HP is the tent the original poster is looking for.

Seriously?!? First, if he has a half dome, he probably doesn't need to be made aware of the HH, don't cha think? It just irks me that so many are posting on the HH when there ARE other options, such as this for the Tarptent Rainbow...

Sleeps 1-2 Weight (oz/kg) 34/0.9 Floor Width (in/cm) 40/102 Floor Length (in/cm) 88/224 Floor Area
(ft2/m2) 23/2.1 Interior Height (in/cm) 43/109 Price $225

Sufficient room, significant weight savings, and a lot less dough than the HH. Lighthearts are another option although they are not completely free-standing, but they are unlike most other non-freestanding tents - would be worth a look - more expensive but even less weight and interesting design. Saw them recently in Franklin and was impressed.

I suppose I am a "competitor" of sorts... because I hammock! :banana
But I went through this gyration a while back when I was a ground dweller. Like I said earlier, HH is a great tent, but don't limit your knowledge to what they have at REI.

Chubbs4U
04-20-2011, 18:17
Six moon design has a new tent coming out. It isnt the biggest but supposed to have tons of head room.

fredmugs
04-22-2011, 07:01
Somewhere out there in internet land is a review of lots of tents weighing less than 4 lbs.

I tried to find the link but was unsuccessful.

After spending two weeks on the PCT I'll keep my Marmot Limelight 2 over the Tarptent my partner had. That wind out there is brutal.

Montana Mac
04-22-2011, 07:08
How about a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 - I think its packed weight is under 4 lbs - there is a new one - yall know that I too am a big fan of the Hubbas but you asked for a new idea so ......

Another vote here for the BA

renais
04-23-2011, 18:36
I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 that is 2 pounds 10 ounces including all the stuff sacks and bags. You could drop a couple ounces by decreasing the packaging. This tent is free standing, but benefits from at least two stakes at the base to extend the tent fabric. It is quite easy to set up, and, like other Big Agnes items I have seen, is well built. I went to this tent from a Copper Creek 2 to save some weight. The Copper Creek 2 easily sleeps 2 people, and is 3 pounds 14 ounces with everything. Both these tents would save a fair bit of weight from the REI tent. I really like the pole systems these tents use: they take a lot of wind and don't seem to mind. The Copper Creek is easy to ventilate, and keeps even blowing mist out. (The Fly Creek has not seen a bad enough storm yet to know, but I expect it will also work well.) I was initially somewhat skeptical that a tent this light could work well, and be durable, but both tents are quite good. I did look at the tarptents, but went to the Fly Creek because it weighed about what I would have had with the tarptent, it was double walled to help with ventilation, and I had such a positive experience with the Copper Spur. The Big Agnes tents are both at REI, so buying them during one of their 20% off promotions makes them even better bargains.