PDA

View Full Version : Single Wall versus Double Wall

trailfinder
01-19-2005, 10:07
How do single wall tents, e.g. GoLite Trig 2 shetler, compare to double wall tents in handling condensation? I am thinking about getting a single wall tent to lighten my load; however, I do not want to wake up every morning with condensation dripping on me. Thanks

hungryhowie
01-19-2005, 11:51
How do single wall tents, e.g. GoLite Trig 2 shetler, compare to double wall tents in handling condensation? I am thinking about getting a single wall tent to lighten my load; however, I do not want to wake up every morning with condensation dripping on me. Thanks

Well, single wall tents like the Trig usually get condensation on the underside of the rain fly...which, in your case would be right above you. Double wall tents tend to get condensation on the underside of the rain fly...which in that case would be an extra layer above you. There are few tents that are designed to minimze condensation. The less condensation you have, the less protection you'll most likely have from the elements, and the more "breezy" it will be under the shelter.

-howie

Mouse
01-19-2005, 11:55
They have gotten almost like each other now that more and more double wall tents have a mesh inner wall and single walls are getting mesh. My Wanderlust Nomad essentially is a double wall tent with the fly sewn to the ridgeline making two awnings instead of a fly.

I think ventilation is the key factor, along with space between wall and sleeping bag..

Footslogger
01-19-2005, 12:05
I think ventilation is the key factor, along with space between wall and sleeping bag..=======================================
Mouse hit the nail on the head. Ventilation is the critical factor.

Aside from that, the major difference between single and double wall tents is "wind-worthiness" and weight.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Jaybird
01-19-2005, 12:36
i have a KELTY-DART 2...& even tho i've seen complaints about condensation with this particular tent,.........

i've never had a major problem with it.

i dont use a RAIN-FLY. My TENT is very AERO-DYNAMIC, features several vents, holds well in wind & sheds rains great. :D weight: just over 2 1/2lbs

good luck in yer tent search.

Blue Jay
01-19-2005, 12:42
=======================================
Mouse hit the nail on the head. Ventilation is the critical factor.

Aside from that, the major difference between single and double wall tents is "wind-worthiness" and weight.

'Slogger
AT 2003

This is true, however there is one more factor, how much heat you give off when you sleep. Some people are "hot blooded", others are not. This combined with ventilation can cause in tent rain to fall.

cyclocrosser
01-19-2005, 16:26
I had a Eureka Zeus Exo, which is single walled, and it was the worst tent I could imagine. I would wake up with condensation all over the inside of tent, water would occasionally drop on me and my sleeping bag. The ventilation was so poor that even after letting it sit in the sun for a half an hour it was still wet on the inside. Then I would have to pack a wet tent and when you set it up the next night the floor and walls of the tent would be all wet.

I now have a SD Lightning and it is great, a little heavier, but at least it stays dry. I would never buy a single wall tent again, but if you decide to ventilation is key. The zeus is a terrible tent, whatever you do don't buy it.

Skyline
01-19-2005, 16:56
All tents that are storm-worthy will have condensation under the right conditions. Even tarps can have condensation in fog and/or high humidity.

With a heavier, double-wall tent, the condensation will usually occur on the underside of the rainfly. If your main tent body has mesh above you or even other places, and most do, that condensation (when it gets bad enough) will drip down onto the mesh and then through it, onto you. Every tent is designed differently but the more popular tents seem to have some place that this can and does happen.

Single-wall tents and tarp-tents will have condensation on the inside of its only wall. Unless you have enough headroom and space side-to-side, you may brush against condensation quite a bit.

I prefer single-wall tents and tarp-tents, because at least I can get to the condensation easily and wipe it down prior to packing up or even in the middle of the night--from the comfort of the interior of the tent. A half-dozen re-usable "shop towels" can do the job well. With most double-wall tents, you can't even get to the underside of the rainfly (where the condensation is) until you disassemble it.

Biggest advantages to single-wall tents are that they save a lot of weight, are usually easier/faster to set up and take down, and take a lot less pack-room.

The Solemates
01-19-2005, 18:06
the only time we get condensation on the inside of our single-wall mtn hardwear waypoint is in extremely cold temperatures (ie below 25F or so). i dont know why, but thats just the way it is. and when its this cold, its usually not liquid condensation, but ice that forms on the inside of the tent. it doesnt really bother us at all. we shake it off, pack it up damp, and set it up and let it dry before we hop in the next day.