PDA

View Full Version : So How's the Trail So Far

Point Man Chef
04-07-2011, 21:10
Just curious about the condition of the trail so far in regards to blow down, wash out, etc. I know the clubs do an outstanding job of maintaining the trail but it's my understanding that they can't sometimes get out too early just because of weather conditions, road conditions, etc. I'm thinking NOBO from Springer to ... . Just wondering and getting ready for my hike next week. Thanks!

max patch
04-07-2011, 22:42
Georgia is fine.

hikemikehike
04-08-2011, 19:39
that far south you should be okay

BigHodag
04-08-2011, 20:13
Just returned from a business trip to NH White Mountains. It was snowing both days at Franconia Notch where the AT crosses. Looks to be about 6 inches of snow on trails. No one about. Parking lots are still snowed in. Plows just made a path off and back on I-93 parkway, but didn't plow any spaces.

Mount Washington valley / Bretton Woods had clear roads and large areas of snow on ground. Turned around at resort and didn't check the pass further south. Most motels still closed for season.

Stopped by Notch Express at Exit 33, just south of AT. Found Ramen, tuna, pop-tarts, moon pies, and individual beers. No fuels. Nice deli sandwich bar too. Unisex restrooms with walls adorned with UFO memorabilia. Proprietress stated she will be stocking up on common hiker resupply items. Local constable hangs out here.

Decided to forgo a side trip to Chet's hostel as I was becoming ill and still had miles to drive back to Manchester.

Thor
04-08-2011, 22:06
I know the PATC trail crews have already been out and clearing. I expect the trail from SNP up through mid-PA is in pretty good shape.

tjforrester
04-08-2011, 22:34
The trail is in good shape, at least up to Hot Springs, although there are five large blow downs north of the NOC. (I reported them, so they may already be gone.)

neonshaw
04-08-2011, 23:13
very few working bear cables at NC shelters, Nantahala hiking club needs to get the butt in gear and fix those

Georgia puts NC to shame