PDA

View Full Version : Eight weeks since knee surgery – question

Freedom Walker
04-08-2011, 09:20
It has been eight weeks today since I had a torn medial meniscus in my left knee repaired. I saw the orthopedic surgeon yesterday for my post-op visit. I told him that overall it was doing well but the knee pops all the time while walking. I also said that after extended periods of time on my feet the area where the surgery occurred did have some pain with a little swelling. Of course I asked was this normal? He said yes and that I should do exercises to build up the knee and that over the next few months I should see improvement. Question is this: those of you who have had a similar surgery, is this close to your experience. I guess I was expecting a total complete recovery within a couple of months. I am still holding out for doing a section of the Appalachian Trail in September. Do you think that is possible.

Chubbs4U
04-08-2011, 13:17
First off let me start by saying I am no way a Dr or play one on TV. I have torn my left knee up 2x and have had 3 surgeries, so I do have some experience. What I can say is that the meniscus is the "odd" one. Some people who tear their meniscus have no pain and can deal without it being repaired. Others, including my mother, said that tearing their meniscus was the most painful thing shes ever had. So it matters on each person. If you ever watch a knee surgery, which I dont suggest, they pull/prod/cut/twist/etc on your knee. There is a lot of scar tissue in their that takes quite a while to heal. Thats why it takes so long. Couple things, if you can walk thats great and riding a bike or stationary one (some suggest this cause if you fall and put pressure on the knee nad things can happen. Also some people cant even ride a bike after surgery). Keep exercising, dont overdue it, that can only set you back more. No one knows your knee pain or discomfort like you do. So exercise when you can and ice it daily. Expecting complete recovery probably wasnt explained well enough to you, things take longer to recover after the young age of 25 or so. It takes a long time to get to that point, IMO(I dont know your situation so to put a time frame on it wouldnt be fair). I do believe you could be on the trail by Sept. I dont think that would be a huge issue IMO. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck

Freedom Walker
04-08-2011, 16:04
Couple things, if you can walk thats great and riding a bike or stationary one (some suggest this cause if you fall and put pressure on the knee nad things can happen. Also some people cant even ride a bike after surgery). Keep exercising, dont overdue it, that can only set you back more. No one knows your knee pain or discomfort like you do. So exercise when you can and ice it daily. Good luck

Thanks for all your advice. I guess I'm pretty much on target for recovery. I don't have a bicycle but I do have an elliptical, and I can go for 20 min without any pain. As I said in the original post, there is a lot a popping going on in the knee. I suppose that is scar tissue. What pain I have comes from being on my feet for long periods of time. In the physical therapy they had me doing knee extensions. I am not a member of a gym right now, but to do some of the exercises that I need to do I need to get into one.

Second Half
04-08-2011, 16:45
Sorry to hear your recovery hasn't been as swift as you had hoped, hang in there and keep up with your PT. I wish I had some advice/experience/wisdom to offer.

Best wishes for a full recovery and for your return to hiking. Please keep us posted how it goes.

Spirit Walker
04-08-2011, 21:41
Jim was back to full mobility about six weeks after his first meniscus surgery. He had the surgery in late August and was thruhiking the CDt the following April. By September you should be fine.

Chubbs4U
04-08-2011, 23:00
Also attack rehab and do your exercises. If it doesnt cause you pain do them a couple times each day if you can. Biking ans swimming helped a ton.

Freedom Walker
04-11-2011, 22:08
Sorry to hear your recovery hasn't been as swift as you had hoped, hang in there and keep up with your PT. I wish I had some advice/experience/wisdom to offer.

Best wishes for a full recovery and for your return to hiking. Please keep us posted how it goes.

Thanks for your well wishes and everyone elses. I actually had two separate surgeries this year. The knee on Feb 11 and disk surgery for my neck three weeks ago Wed. I may be free to walk or hike, but I am having to fight to get back out on the trail. Back to work in a week though.

07-10-2011, 17:23
I am planning on thru hiking the A.T. starting March 2012, and was getting pretty nervous because in early June I had a half of my meniscus removed. recovery has been good, I have been hiking with a light pack and done a couple 14 mile days... this Thursday I have to go back in and get the other knee done (meniscus tear) ... I was beginning to have doubts if I would be able to thru hike, although there was not a doubt that I would start out on the Journey, I just was beginning to wonder if my knees would be able to handle it... I am glad to hear that it is doable.... I have been doing a lot of research on ultra lite backpacking... and knee strengthening exercises. hopefully this knee will do just as good as the first and I will be on my way to a smooth recovery.... not sure if this helps anyone but at least you know your not the only one out there, and not giving up on a dream.... Take care and hope your recovery keeps going smooth... :)

4Bears
07-10-2011, 17:59
I've had 2 knee surgeries and a total knee replacement last year. You don't have to join a gym, if you are a little creative you can do everything you need to do at home. If you want some weight for your leg extentions duct tape a 1 or 2 ltr bottle of water to an old shoe. If you have access to a pool walk as quickly as you can in waist deep water, high stepping while doing so will also be helpful. Outside of that I would suggest walking at increasing amounts and difficulty.

Del Q
07-10-2011, 19:31
Stay at it, I had knee surgery after my 2010 Fall AT hike, worked out really hard as much as I could, took smart days off, lots of icing. Extra attention on the muscles above and below my knees, was not ready in December but was fine in March for 116 mile VA hike. Pushed it more than any rehab doctor would have prescribed. Also took Instaflex, can buy it direct from the company at 1/2 the cost, seemed to help, Dr agreed.

shelb
07-10-2011, 22:39
I've had 2 knee surgeries and a total knee replacement last year. You don't have to join a gym, if you are a little creative you can do everything you need to do at home. If you want some weight for your leg extentions duct tape a 1 or 2 ltr bottle of water to an old shoe. If you have access to a pool walk as quickly as you can in waist deep water, high stepping while doing so will also be helpful. Outside of that I would suggest walking at increasing amounts and difficulty.

Good info; I will pass it on to my hubbie. He had miniscus repair from an injury incurred playing basketball this winter. However, after surgery, the pain didn't go away, and his doctor told him it might take a while. Finally, he went for a second opinion with a Dr. who ordered up an MRI. The MRI showed he is in need of an ACL. So, he is now scheduled for surgery to have a cadaver ACL implanted into his knee.

4Bears
07-11-2011, 13:40
Good info; I will pass it on to my hubbie. He had miniscus repair from an injury incurred playing basketball this winter. However, after surgery, the pain didn't go away, and his doctor told him it might take a while. Finally, he went for a second opinion with a Dr. who ordered up an MRI. The MRI showed he is in need of an ACL. So, he is now scheduled for surgery to have a cadaver ACL implanted into his knee.

After the ACL surgery the rehab is the same, nobody will push you as hard as yourself, if there isn't a little pain there is not much gain, gut it out. I walked a mile, with a cane, 9 days after my replacement and got rid of the cane a week later. YRMV Just keep doing the stretches, flexs, and extentions for a few months after the formal rehab stops. IMHO. I was back to work in 7 weeks at a job that required rough terain walking, a little early but made it work till I was closer to full strength a few weeks later.

Del Q
07-11-2011, 20:34
agree 1000% on the stretching.............as or more important early stage than the strength training

red dawg
07-13-2011, 15:32

...I see dead people (cadavers), they are everywhere!

I had the same ACL repair 16 years ago and another unrelated cartilage repair 11 years ago. Rehabing sucks!

I encourage the OP to continue the silly exercises and stretching long after the honeymoon of the repair is over and you will be fine.

Freedom Walker
07-13-2011, 16:21
I am planning on thru hiking the A.T. starting March 2012, and was getting pretty nervous because in early June I had a half of my meniscus removed. recovery has been good, I have been hiking with a light pack and done a couple 14 mile days... this Thursday I have to go back in and get the other knee done (meniscus tear) ... I was beginning to have doubts if I would be able to thru hike, although there was not a doubt that I would start out on the Journey, I just was beginning to wonder if my knees would be able to handle it... I am glad to hear that it is doable.... I have been doing a lot of research on ultra lite backpacking... and knee strengthening exercises. hopefully this knee will do just as good as the first and I will be on my way to a smooth recovery.... not sure if this helps anyone but at least you know your not the only one out there, and not giving up on a dream.... Take care and hope your recovery keeps going smooth... :)

Hey everyone, since I posted the original post I finally begin to be able to hike. i was worried that the surgery had not worked for me, but everyone i spoke to including the MD said give yourself more time, maybe even up to a year, the swelling, popping, and pain would get better. Well it finally has. I did a 11 mile day hike two weeks ago on a local mountain, and did very well. Only a little pain in the knee. It still hurts to bend the knee too deeply. To 2012, if you will do the exercises, bring your pack weight down, and if overweight do something about that, you can still see your dream come true. I am going to try a weekend backpack trip in a few weeks and with continued training I want to start at Neels and finish GA in late Sept, my dream.

Kerosene
07-13-2011, 23:56
Great to hear you've progressed. However, just because you're doing better don't slack off on your exercise regimen. In fact, you should probably plan to continue all those leg-strengthening exercises (including the hamstrings!) and stretching for the rest of your life if you want to keep active with minimal pain. As for deep knee bends -- don't bother. Your challenge will become trying to hike every day for a week, when you need to keep the swelling down. You might very well want to start yourself on NSAIDs (eg., Aleve) for the week you're out, just to try to keep the swelling under control.

Gramps
07-21-2011, 22:55
I see you are my age and as you are probably aware, us more seasoned folks take longer to heal. I had mine repaired Christmas 2009 and it has been an up-and-down ordeal. Mine, although medically classified as a tear, was actually a deterioration. I was back to short walks within a few weeks. Last winter the discomfort returned albeit not to the pre-surgery level. It still pops some when standing and if I sit here at the computer for an extended period and then get up, I have to stand still for a second or two before moving. (I joke that the gears and levers have to fall into place). One thing you might try to water exercise. You get that re-hab movement without any of the stress of your weight on the knee. Good luck.

MkBibble
07-23-2011, 11:55
... I am going to try a weekend backpack trip in a few weeks and with continued training I want to start at Neels and finish GA in late Sept, my dream.

GREAT news Freedom Walker. I plan to pick up where I left off at Deep Gap (NC) around the same time. Maybe we'll have a little less RAIN this year.

Freedom Walker
07-28-2011, 21:55
As for deep knee bends -- don't bother. Your challenge will become trying to hike every day for a week, when you need to keep the swelling down.

I agree, but I am going on weekend backpack trip to Sipsey Wilderness in Bankhead National Forest in Alabama Friday and (LOL) when nature calls I will be testing how well I can do the deep knee bends.