PDA

View Full Version : Go or no-go? GSNP Government Shutdown

junglecat
04-08-2011, 11:20
My daughter and I have been planning a section hike from Fontana to Gatlinburg for the last 3 months. It's spring break and we are scheduled to leave in the morning. What's gonna happen with this gov shutdown? Go or no-go? Any advice is much appreciated.

Montana Mac
04-08-2011, 11:26
Right now best bet would be to check the news in the AM - if it happens shut down will be a midnight

WingedMonkey
04-08-2011, 11:36
You live in Asheville? It's not like you are going cross country to get there. Watch the news see what happens.
You are lucky you have hundreds of miles of trails near by to fall back on.

10-K
04-08-2011, 11:38
I can't imagine they'd be able to close the AT even if it did shut down. Sure would be a terrific blow to anyone trying to thru hike.

Hwy 441 is a federal highway, not a NPS road so traffic will still be moving from Cherokee to Gatlinburg.

I'd go.

Ladytrekker
04-08-2011, 11:41
I can't imagine they'd be able to close the AT even if it did shut down. Sure would be a terrific blow to anyone trying to thru hike.

Hwy 441 is a federal highway, not a NPS road so traffic will still be moving from Cherokee to Gatlinburg.

I'd go.

I don't think they can close the trail but they could close the GSMNP. Or try too. How would they monitor who is hiking thru it unless they are working.

Mountain Mike
04-08-2011, 11:47
If you are in when it shuts down they say they will give you 48hrs to get out. That is directed towards car campers. Once in the backcountry I doubt you would see a ranger & if you do you are "walking your way to get out". If you are in Fontana & they won't let you in head south on AT to Wesser. Make Sure to check out Cheoh Bald & spend the night there if you can.

chelko
04-08-2011, 11:57
Does anybody know if the Fontana dam Parking lot will be closed. It is operated by the TVA. Are they a Federal agency?

WingedMonkey
04-08-2011, 12:01
The Tennessee Valley Authority, is a corporation owned by the U.S. government. But it is not funded by this budget. No idea about what the parking lot will do.

TheKO
04-08-2011, 12:02
If they close the park - no rangers. If you are hiking in back country - who cares and how will they know you are there?

Great time to thru hike GSNP with your dog...

volleypc
04-08-2011, 12:25
If they close the park - no rangers. If you are hiking in back country - who cares and how will they know you are there?

There will be limited rangers on duty (essential personel). If you can be flexible I would wait till midnight tonight or just make arrangements to go elsewhere. I know the park I work for we are closing all campgrounds, rest stops, etc IF an agreement is not reached today. Current campers will have a short notice for them to pack up and move out. I hope it works out and I hope you are able to enjoy a week outdoors, even if it doesn't end up being in the GSMNP.

Egads
04-08-2011, 12:30
Is this really a serious thread or a joke?:-?

Blissful
04-08-2011, 12:33
Yes its serious. We had a SNP ranger say will bar hikers from park entrances and on popular trails. Very possible someone will be stationed down there at Fontana Dam, Newfound and Davenport.

Blissful
04-08-2011, 12:34
There will be limited rangers on duty (essential personel).

Yes but they could beef it up with other law enforcement personnel if needed. And ridgerunners are out there enforce esp this time of year, don't forget.

Blissful
04-08-2011, 12:39

Rangers don't go away. Nor does law enforcement. Or ridgerunners. The AT is the main trail through the park. If you want fines and other actions, sure go for it.

I can see hiking some obscure trail in GSMNP. But the AT is the main thoroughfare.

jbwood5
04-08-2011, 13:11
Rangers don't go away. Nor does law enforcement. Or ridgerunners. The AT is the main trail through the park. If you want fines and other actions, sure go for it.

I can see hiking some obscure trail in GSMNP. But the AT is the main thoroughfare.

I guess the cost of a thru hike just went up! http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
$2.00 a mile just went to $3.00 a mile by the time you pay all the fines.

This kind of sucks for the solo thru hikers who have no access the the news.

Jelly-Bean
04-08-2011, 13:17
It will be an interesting time to be reading the Trail Journals!

weary
04-08-2011, 13:26
Except for the few hundred miles of state lands, the whole trail is owned by the federal government, mostly by NPS and the USFS. It surely won't all be shut down.

WingedMonkey
04-08-2011, 13:45
Again what they do this time may be different. Even the season is different, the last shut downs were in the fall and winter, not spring hiking season.
GSMNP closed campgrounds and visitor centers and rest rooms but didn't block any roads or trails. Shenandoah Drive (Blue Ridge Parkway) remained open but most employees were furloughed. Peaks of Otter Lodge owned by the federal government but run by private contractors was also closed.
Same thing could happen again or they might have an entirely different plan this time....if it happens

Bootstrap
04-08-2011, 13:52
I called GSMNP office and asked about using trail if there were a shutdown. They suggested I call the Appalachian Trail Conservancy!

Both were clear that "the trail would be closed". Neither the GSMNP office nor the ATC were willing to speculate on what that would mean for someone hiking on the trail.

Rick500
04-08-2011, 14:03
Purely speculating here, but I wonder if their direction was to say "yes, certainly, the trail will be closed" and not to go on with "...but really, there's no way we'll know if you're out there."

volleypc
04-08-2011, 14:08
Purely speculating here, but I wonder if their direction was to say "yes, certainly, the trail will be closed" and not to go on with "...but really, there's no way we'll know if you're out there."

I can't speak for all parks but in our park 2/3 of enforcement rangers will still be on staff. Admin, Maint, Interpt, etc is taking most of the hit. With campgrounds and visitor centers closed, I imagine they will be concentrated at gates and trail heads, and shelters.

junglecat
04-08-2011, 14:23
Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully the gov will resolve this thing tonight. I'm going for it. I'll let you know what happens.

Hikes in Rain
04-08-2011, 14:30
......GSMNP closed campgrounds and visitor centers and rest rooms but didn't block any roads or trails. ......

They actually did close down 441 on the shutdown around Christmas, but it was really due to the ice and snow with no one to clear it. A distinction without a difference, I guess. I remember being surprised when we hit the barrier outside Cherokee, then having to backtrack around the park via I-40 to get to Gatlinburg.

Cool Hands
04-08-2011, 14:56
My God... they can't just tell HUNDREDS of thru-hikers passing by to just turn around. I don't believe this, they'd have to deny dozens trying to get in every day. I sincerely doubt the rangers would actually enforce this, even if they felt obligated to claim that they would. As someone said before, how would they even know if you were out there? They could not crush the prospective dreams of so many people, not to mention how much planning, how much thought, how much money, how much commitment, how much time, how much effort and anticipation that has probably gone into each and every one of them trying to pass through. The AT can't just "shut down".

WingedMonkey
04-08-2011, 15:00
My God... they can't just tell HUNDREDS of thru-hikers passing by to just turn around. I don't believe this, they'd have to deny dozens trying to get in every day. I sincerely doubt the rangers would actually enforce this, even if they felt obligated to claim that they would. As someone said before, how would they even know if you were out there? They could not crush the prospective dreams of so many people, not to mention how much planning, how much thought, how much money, how much commitment, how much time, how much effort and anticipation that has probably gone into each and every one of them trying to pass through. The AT can't just "shut down".

Thru hikers are less than a drop in the bucket of lost income to the National Parks or the park towns.

chelko
04-08-2011, 15:01
If you can get across the dam at Fontana I say go for it.

Tipi Walter
04-08-2011, 15:07

Just go into the hundreds of thousands of acres of national forest in the Nantahala, Cherokee and Pisgah. There's plenty of places to backpack, camp and hike. Take 5 months and explore the Wilson Creek area in Pisgah NF (Grandfather Ranger District). AT's not the only game in town.

Bootstrap
04-08-2011, 15:18
I just talked to an "unnamed source" who says that the main concern is simply that there are fewer staff monitoring the trail, so there are more safety and crime concerns.

He also said nobody is going to be arrested or fined unless they put up signs to warn people first, and the parks aren't doing that. Still, he'd like people to consider choosing a different section of the trail that is not on federal lands.

WingedMonkey
04-08-2011, 15:20
Just go into the hundreds of thousands of acres of national forest in the Nantahala, Cherokee and Pisgah. There's plenty of places to backpack, camp and hike. Take 5 months and explore the Wilson Creek area in Pisgah NF (Grandfather Ranger District). AT's not the only game in town.

I spent 6 months in Pisqua NF and still didn't explore it all. Can't wait to get back.

Tipi Walter
04-08-2011, 15:22
I spent 6 months in Pisqua NF and still didn't explore it all. Can't wait to get back.

There you go.

Trailbender
04-08-2011, 15:38
There you go.

I have seen a lot of trails branching off the AT, I might explore those if the area is still shut down by the time I get on the trail.

junglecat
04-08-2011, 16:05
Is SOBO from Fontana to Nantahala is a good alternative if the park is closed? My 15 year old daughter has her heart set on the GSMNP. I have not told her the plan may change.

gravityman
04-08-2011, 16:26
Here in the west it just means free entrance:

"The citizens deserve access to their national park, and the merchants who depend on the visitors can count on the Sheriff's Office to keep the park safe," Sheriff Justin Smith said in a statement Thursday. "The entrance stations may not be staffed to collect fees and hand out maps, but that shouldn't stop visitors from being able to enjoy their park."

The Sheriff's Office included a photo of an officer holding a "Yes, we're open" placard in front of the Rocky Mountain National Park entrance.

Cool Hands
04-08-2011, 16:56

Huh? I'm talking about people who are hiking from Georgia to Maine, they would have to hitch a ride around or something, and they wouldn't be able to properly complete a thru. Of course the OP and section-hikers would be able to do a different part of the AT or explore different areas, but those strictly hiking north would be cut off.

volleypc
04-08-2011, 17:02
Is SOBO from Fontana to Nantahala is a good alternative if the park is closed? My 15 year old daughter has her heart set on the GSMNP. I have not told her the plan may change.

To be honest I didn't care that much for the GSMNP App Trail Section. I love to hike in GSMNP, but I like the lush hiking trails along the creeks, etc. You don't have that really until you are leaving the park. How about the area around Roan Mountain? It is a beautiful area and one of my favorite areas until I reached Grayson Highlands in SW Virginia.

Another fun option I think would be to start at the beginning of the A.T. Many hikers are starting their journey so I think starting with some of them and hiking/talking to people that are beginning the trail would be both fun and educational.

Vadayhiker
04-08-2011, 17:14
This happened to me at the last shutdown on a kayaking trip in the Everglades. No big deal, we just did the trip as planned, but without the benefit of permits. I called prior to the shutdown and was basically told, we are closed but we cannot keep you out.

Wise Old Owl
04-08-2011, 18:44
Is this really a serious thread or a joke?:-?

Flip a coin!

Yes its serious. We had a SNP ranger say will bar hikers from park entrances and on popular trails. Very possible someone will be stationed down there at Fontana Dam, Newfound and Davenport.

Will He get paid for that?

MORE PLACES TO STEALTH HANG WOOOPIE!

Mountain Mike
04-08-2011, 18:53

One of my favorite nights on AT was spent atop Cheoh Bald watching the sun set over the Smokies & & rise over the mountains I had hiked so far. Only problem with that is it's a dry camp. Coming from nobo would probably requre a slackpack down to shelter to get water. I didn't plan on stopping there but it was to nice to rush through & I went back to shelter to stock up on water.

Also when you get to Nolichucky you can go for a rafting trip to make it up to her.

Tipi Walter
04-08-2011, 19:33
One of my favorite nights on AT was spent atop Cheoh Bald watching the sun set over the Smokies & & rise over the mountains I had hiked so far. Only problem with that is it's a dry camp. Coming from nobo would probably requre a slackpack down to shelter to get water. I didn't plan on stopping there but it was to nice to rush through & I went back to shelter to stock up on water.

Also when you get to Nolichucky you can go for a rafting trip to make it up to her.

I think there's water atop the bald, see:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-6056.html

The Cleaner
04-08-2011, 19:37
[QUOTE=TheKO;1142396]If they close the park - no rangers. If you are hiking in back country - who cares and how will they know you are there?

Great time to thru hike GSNP with your dog.....Take some firecrackers to throw at the shelter mice....:eek:

junglecat
04-09-2011, 06:35
Gov't back in business. Gone hiking. See you on the trail!

Bare Bear
04-09-2011, 11:56
And I promise not to stealth camp unless necessary so help me God.

Geo
04-10-2011, 05:09
Parks hiring interns for the summer, It appears as if the Park will be open, unless Great Smokey Mountains NP wants to inform me that I no longer have an internship with them next month.

sliderule
04-10-2011, 14:24
Parks hiring interns for the summer, It appears as if the Park will be open, unless Great Smokey Mountains NP wants to inform me that I no longer have an internship with them next month.

Given that you can't even spell "Smoky," you are lucky that they even looked at your application. I would not have.