PDA

View Full Version : Smokies, Parkway will close in a federal shutdown

Bootstrap
04-08-2011, 11:46
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110408/NEWS/304080028/Smokies-Parkway-would-close-federal-shutdown?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

Heads up - Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway will both close if there's a shutdown.

Tipi Walter
04-08-2011, 15:20
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110408/NEWS/304080028/Smokies-Parkway-would-close-federal-shutdown?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage (http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110408/NEWS/304080028/Smokies-Parkway-would-close-federal-shutdown?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFrontpage)

Heads up - Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway will both close if there's a shutdown.

Has Congress turned Green? Just think, the most air polluted Nat Park in the US will stop ingress to vehicles! No more zooming motorcycles, no more Cades Cove bumber-to-bumber traffic jams. Now, if they could just make it permanent.

Trailbender
04-08-2011, 15:22
Has Congress turned Green? Just think, the most air polluted Nat Park in the US will stop ingress to vehicles! No more zooming motorcycles, no more Cades Cove bumber-to-bumber traffic jams. Now, if they could just make it permanent.

Will this close down the AT?

Tipi Walter
04-08-2011, 15:35
Will this close down the AT?

People on foot without leaving a "car trail" have a lot more freedom to go in and out of forested areas. Is there a chain link fence completely around the whole Park??

Buffalo Skipper
04-08-2011, 15:42
All national parks would close at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday. Parks that have actual hours, like the St. Louis Arch or Washington Monument, just won't reopen. At parks where people camp, gates will be closed so no one can enter. Those in the park will be given 24 hours to leave. Parks like Yellowstone and Gettysburg, which are large and contain public roads, will be passable but all gates and visitor centers will be locked and closed. Most park employees will not report to work. Law enforcement will remain to protect parks and the public.

I found this on the CNN website. Just passing it on. Not commenting, speculating or judging.

Rockhound
04-08-2011, 15:57
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110408/NEWS/304080028/Smokies-Parkway-would-close-federal-shutdown?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

I don't know. Somehow this kinda seems like good news to me. Less daytrippers and car campers might improve the thru-hike experience for many. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

WingedMonkey
04-08-2011, 16:00
I don't know. Somehow this kinda seems like good news to me. Less daytrippers and car campers might improve the thru-hike experience for many. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Without a hiker feed? LOL LOL

Tennessee Viking
04-08-2011, 16:12
They really can't close down the parkway. Just the visitor centers, offices, and maintenance.

A lot of the entrances are not gated and is the only access for a lot of homes north of Pisgah.

Thor
04-08-2011, 16:20
They really can't close down the parkway. Just the visitor centers, offices, and maintenance.

A lot of the entrances are not gated and is the only access for a lot of homes north of Pisgah.

Skyline Drive through SNP, however, they can and will close.

Rockhound
04-08-2011, 20:00
Skyline Drive through SNP, however, they can and will close.
Gonna make for some tough yellow blazing.

Thor
04-08-2011, 20:07
Gonna make for some tough yellow blazing.

Not like you need to yellow-blaze through SNP. The trail isn't much longer or harder than the road is, really ;)

stranger
04-08-2011, 21:01
Can't shutdown a footpath people...they can only hope people 'obey' them.

Papa D
04-08-2011, 21:04
I think that hikers should just hike - doubt that there will be any rangers around to enforce "no-hiking" - if there are, just be cool and play dumb

No Belay
04-08-2011, 21:28
Sure is going to shoot Yoging in the a$$. Guess I'll have to carry some food. :eek:

Savor happy!

Graywolf
04-08-2011, 21:44
So they are closing for money problems, so they close one of the biggest money makers for them..looks like they dont want money..Seems to me they would keep the money makers open..

No Belay
04-08-2011, 21:57
Don't try to apply logic to Bureaucracy. You'll confuse the legislature.

leaftye
04-08-2011, 22:04
They may string yellow tape across the trailheads. That's what happened in New Mexico during the last budget fiasco. So while there may be legal issues, I'd be more worried about the impact on hitching, trail magic and yogi'ing.

Rockefeller
04-08-2011, 22:13
This whole thing is terrible. If the GSMNP is shut down all trails would be closed. Fontana damn would be one of the hardest places to illegally enter. This would strand a lot of thru-hikers at Fontana which is a long drive from anywhere. I want to slap congress so bad.

Trailbender
04-08-2011, 23:08
I want to slap congress so bad.

Join the club.

J-Fro
04-08-2011, 23:09
Looks like we are all fine, not going to happen!! Woohoo!!!

leaftye
04-09-2011, 00:10
Join the club.

We could fix the budget if we could smack them each upside the head for a fee...better yet, let's start from low level government wannabe's like HOA's, then go up to city, county, state, and the levels above. My hands would be tough like a thru hiker's soles in no time.

Pedaling Fool
04-09-2011, 08:13
Sure was fun watching everyone get in a tizzy over this very small issue; just wait for the bigger issues coming, like the next budget when Paul Ryan's budget plan hits the floor or the debt-ceiling debate.

With all our crazy spending we're in for some real issues and trail/NP issues doesn't even come close to being a concern.

Too bad many in govt are not taking serious the debt commision's recommendations and warnings.

neonshaw
04-09-2011, 08:47
This whole thing is terrible. If the GSMNP is shut down all trails would be closed. Fontana damn would be one of the hardest places to illegally enter. This would strand a lot of thru-hikers at Fontana which is a long drive from anywhere. I want to slap congress so bad.

this had me wondering - you have to cross the dam correct on the AT? and if its closed that wouldnt be possible

is there anyway around Fontana

Trailbender
04-09-2011, 08:52
With all our crazy spending we're in for some real issues and trail/NP issues doesn't even come close to being a concern.

Actually, they are a huge concern. Hiking is a way of relaxing and relieving stress, and witnessing natural beauty. I would hate to be stuck in a city somewhere and never get to see the woods.

Prov
04-09-2011, 10:06
this had me wondering - you have to cross the dam correct on the AT? and if its closed that wouldnt be possible

is there anyway around Fontana

From the AT Guide:

During times of heightened ntional security and terrorism alerts, the route across the dam may be closed, and an alternative blue-blazed route along roads and trails will take hikers accross the Little Tennessee River on a highway bridge below the dam.

Prov
04-09-2011, 10:08
Except the AT Guide didn't misspell "across". :)