PDA

View Full Version : Gourmet?

chrisoc
04-08-2011, 13:16
Does anyone prepare meals on the trail that they consider exotic or gourmet?

Hikes in Rain
04-08-2011, 13:39
Depends on the definition, I'd guess. Some folks are a bit shocked when I mention having, for example, Salmon Alfredo with Asagio Cheese, but it's pretty simple. Package of salmon (maybe smoked), shelf stable bacon pieces, a package of Knorr/Lipton Alfredo noodle side, and shave a bit off the block of cheese. I do carry a little Lexan pepper grinder, as well.

Mountain Mike
04-08-2011, 13:55
I sometimes do. Mac & Cheese from scratch. Shrimp & Veggie Brown Rice, Szechwan Noodles, Even Pizza sometimes.

10-K
04-08-2011, 14:02
I've got some little packets of Mrs. Dash I add to my potatoes sometimes. Yum yum! :)

royalusa
04-08-2011, 14:08
I don't suppose a yummy mashed-potato-burrito would qualify as gourmet, would it?

10-K
04-08-2011, 14:12
I don't suppose a yummy mashed-potato-burrito would qualify as gourmet, would it?

With or without Mrs. Dash?? :)

royalusa
04-08-2011, 15:26
With or without Mrs. Dash?? :)

Sorry, no Mrs. Dash, but the mashed potatoes are the flavored kind, like Super Loaded or Cheese.

88BlueGT
04-08-2011, 15:41
Depends on the definition, I'd guess. Some folks are a bit shocked when I mention having, for example, Salmon Alfredo with Asagio Cheese, but it's pretty simple. Package of salmon (maybe smoked), shelf stable bacon pieces, a package of Knorr/Lipton Alfredo noodle side, and shave a bit off the block of cheese. I do carry a little Lexan pepper grinder, as well.

Sounds excellent!!!!!!!!! Great idea, btw.

Hikes in Rain
04-08-2011, 15:52
Thank you. It was pretty tasty, and filling. I thought I'd be the envy of all the other hikers, but then those guys showed up with the steaks..........

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-08-2011, 16:37
I'm TOTALLY stealing that salmon idea for my next hike... maybe the steak one, too! I always bring summer sausage and some cheese, makes me feel like a million bucks, and don't forget the good quality turkey jerky!

Hikes in Rain
04-08-2011, 19:17
Agreed. The ONLY time I eat summer sausage is on the trail. (That's the only time I get enough exercise to off set it!)

88BlueGT
04-13-2011, 11:52
You guys really make me realize how *****ty I eat on the trail. Depending on the length of my trip, my food usually consists of no breakfast (maybe powerbar or something comparable), tuba on smushed white bread for lunch (or ramen, maybe both) and dinner is usually some sort of rice or MH meal. Gourmet? Think not.

travisap
04-14-2011, 16:24

I'm somewhat of a 'foodie' so eating gourmet or exotic meals on the trail is pretty important for me.

Upon reading your post you have made it quite simple to "eat gourmet."

Any other combinations that you enjoy?

Namaste
04-14-2011, 16:55
I'm a foodie as well and love cooking on the trail. My favorite is very simple. I cook couscous first then set to the side as directed while I reheat already cooked salmon in dill and lemon sauce in a small fry pan with olive oil which takes no time. I break up the salmon while cooking and just throw on top of couscous. Sometimes I bring cut up broccoli and throw that in too. I found the salmon in the tuna fish section.

Slugsworth
04-14-2011, 19:41
"exotic" I make thai food sometimes - at the local asian store I can usually get powdered coconut milk or coconut cream . . . I usually also use glass noodles.

Slugsworth
04-14-2011, 19:43
oh. . .and indian food. Using lentil soup mix as well as dehydrating "tasty bite" brand jaipur vegetable.

mweinstone
04-14-2011, 20:02
crawfish and ramp
sassafrass tea
milkweed pods and butter

this is my win you over menue.
later in the season i get freaky. but most folks wont eat food,"mat just picked that up off the ground".
like wild garlic, nobody wants to eat wild garlic for some reason that slips thru my large holes in my brain i must have for letting stuff slip.
or mushrooms. no mater how many days in a row you eat them in front of them.
so ive learned to hide when i eat stuff "off the ground".lol
the single most fancy food i make hiking is wild garlic and wild rice and wild oyster mushroom and wild onion. it can only be made ,..like when everything is right. about 730 pm aug 27th in jersy.lol. but it can be done. the most exotic coolest most colorful freaking out of non wild foods gathering hikers is in PA during the berrie seasons convergence it is possible to walk behind your buddy picking berries anawares,..and to gather 5 different colors and show them to your partner and it looks cool. you have to gather the last of some and the first of others but their is a place and a time where i can unfold my hand, tap you on the shoulder and say,..look. and ill have blueberries, red and black rasperies,wild strawberries and huckelberries. cool?

mweinstone
04-14-2011, 20:11
the singgel most exotic fun find is a crabapple tree thats almost pure apple without a hint of crab. it only exsists in PA. one tree. about a mile or less off trail in the bush. i cant find it anymore. and some ive heard of from hikers on this site. but were not talking about an apple tree growing wild. its the crabapple growing tame i seek.needing no cook or cane.

mweinstone
04-14-2011, 20:13
in my opinion, gourmet food cannot be brought thruhiking in a foodbag as well as it can be gathered and made in the trails environs.
sorry,..really good thred.

mweinstone
04-14-2011, 20:19
oh. . .and indian food. Using lentil soup mix as well as dehydrating "tasty bite" brand jaipur vegetable.

this is brilliant. these are the only mush in a bag foods that leave you feeling healthy and taste okay but there still mush in a bag so i cant. but you seem to have broken the mush barrier. well done hiker. may the blazes be kind to you and your cookpot full.go in peace and tell all you see of the way of mushlessness. bless you.

Papa D
04-14-2011, 22:21
Take some curry powder, red pepper, and spike seasoning with you - that will gourmet up a lot

mweinstone
04-14-2011, 22:23
Take some curry powder, red pepper, and spike seasoning with you - that will gourmet up a lot

trudat yo.

tigerpaw
04-14-2011, 22:52
***??????!!!

Hikes in Rain
04-20-2011, 10:06
I'm somewhat of a 'foodie' so eating gourmet or exotic meals on the trail is pretty important for me.

Upon reading your post you have made it quite simple to "eat gourmet."

Any other combinations that you enjoy?

Really isn't hard. It's pretty amazing how much good good stuff is readily available.

Sadly, some of my better options seem to have vanished. Starkist (?) used to have little foil packages of crab, clams, oysters, and shrimp, not so long ago. I can't seem to find those anywhere now, not even on the net.

I tried Hawk Vittles not terribly long ago. The food is dehydrated, making it compatible with freezer bag cooking. The flavors certainly back up the claim that the proprieter is a retired chef. I highly recommend them, espcially for the end of a long day's hike where you may not want to really cook, but still eat well.

In a few weeks, I'm going to be experimenting with torilini, pouched salmon, and other nice things. Red beans and rice, Lipton Knorr style, with summer sausage and a tiny bottle of tobasco sauce, is also on the menu. 23 days, and I'll be in the mountains again.

Seems like an eternity!

WingedMonkey
04-20-2011, 11:14
Sadly, some of my better options seem to have vanished. Starkist (?) used to have little foil packages of crab, clams, oysters, and shrimp, not so long ago. I can't seem to find those anywhere now, not even on the net. Where the hell did they go? I use to stock up a a local dollar outlet type store. I guess that's why they had them.

d.o.c
04-20-2011, 11:18
morels and such its not the norm for 90% of america to eat such awsome tasteing lil mushrooms which i guess arent always that little.

russb
04-20-2011, 11:30
Sadly, some of my better options seem to have vanished. Starkist (?) used to have little foil packages of crab, clams, oysters, and shrimp, not so long ago. I can't seem to find those anywhere now, not even on the net.

I emailed the company (chicken of the sea) a while back and they told me they were discontinuing the line of seafood in the retort pouches. No reason given.

Hikes in Rain
04-20-2011, 11:31
Where the hell did they go? I use to stock up a a local dollar outlet type store. I guess that's why they had them.

They seem to have stopped making them, from what I can tell. Guess the demand was too low?

One of the meals I was planning on was a version of the old Low Country fisherman's breakfast, Shrimp and Grits. Add some shelf-stable bacon and cheese, perhaps some dehydrated onions and garlic and a little fresh ground black pepper.

Now my hopes are dashed! All for the lack of shrimp. Just dashed!

WingedMonkey
04-20-2011, 12:06
I emailed the company (chicken of the sea) a while back and they told me they were discontinuing the line of seafood in the retort pouches. No reason given.

Here's what Wiki says:

In the consumer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer) market, retort pouches have gained great popularity outside of the United States, particularly in the Pacific Rim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Rim) region. However, American consumers have evidently demonstrated confusion or reluctance regarding the packaging technology, and its adoption has been slow.
Guess we need more Asian friends.
:D

Rocket Jones
04-20-2011, 12:40
And that right there is the answer. Find an Asian grocery and ask there.

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 13:50
Red beans and rice, Lipton Knorr style, with summer sausage and a tiny bottle of tobasco sauce, is also on the menu. 23 days, and I'll be in the mountains again.

Seems like an eternity!

If you can find a latino grocery or in the latino section of some Super Walmarts I've found packaged non-refigerated Chorizo sausages. Popeye's Fried Chicken has lil' packs of Louisiana hot sauce. Those with a Knorr/Lipton Red beans and rice side was one of the food highlights of my recent section hike.

The other highlight was instant loaded mashed potatoes with a can of ham (requires can opener, Nido instant milk, salt/pepper and Olive oil)

Hikes in Rain
04-20-2011, 13:59
That's the hot sauce I'm taking! I also begged a bunch of the honey packets, because I like honey in my coffee. And Nido for "cream".

We have the Chorizo sausages here in our grocery store. Didn't think of those, since I already have a summer sausage. But hey, can't have too much sausage!

Like the potato and ham idea, as well. Let's see, at the rate I'm going, I'll have three or four days of food to hike the 33 miles to Hot Springs to resupply. Hope I make it....

For breakfast, I usually like cheese grits, with bacon. And more cheese.

Where was your last section?

travisap
04-20-2011, 14:06
Where the hell did they go? I use to stock up a a local dollar outlet type store. I guess that's why they had them.

Just went to Target and found foil packets of salmon for $0.99. Walmart also sells foil packets of tuna and salmon for under a buck.

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 14:10
Where was your last section?

2 weeks ago.

WingedMonkey
04-20-2011, 14:15
Just went to Target and found foil packets of salmon for $0.99. Walmart also sells foil packets of tuna and salmon for under a buck.

Yeah thanks, my Wally has those. These were things liked smoked oysters, and clams and shrimp. Still find them in cans, no foil packs.

Dick Proenneke
04-20-2011, 14:16
Sometimes, I get "fish hungry", so I cast out my line at the mouth of Hope Creek, and sooner or later, snag a great catch.

Fish with my red beans tonight! Ya can't beat that!

...Just had internet installed here at the cabin, glad to have some friends to talk "trail" with!!!

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 14:30
Nice try Dick. Ain't buying it.

chasegru
04-22-2011, 14:18
I hold pizza to be the holy grail of gourmet trail food. It can be done- doesn't pack heavy- and requires a lot of finess.

hint: make your own dough from flour

WingedMonkey
04-22-2011, 15:10
I hold pizza to be the holy grail of gourmet trail food. It can be done- doesn't pack heavy- and requires a lot of finess.

hint: make your own dough from flour

Easier to use a pocket-less pita.

chrisoc
04-29-2011, 10:02
Sometimes, I get "fish hungry", so I cast out my line at the mouth of Hope Creek, and sooner or later, snag a great catch.

Fish with my red beans tonight! Ya can't beat that!

...Just had internet installed here at the cabin, glad to have some friends to talk "trail" with!!!

For one split second you had me "Mr. Proenneke" ;)

One Half
05-07-2011, 17:48
what do you guys use to carry your spices?

russb
05-07-2011, 18:19

I use the tiny zip baggies that drug dealers use. I find them at the dollar store. I hope someone doesn't mistake my bag of oregano for something else.

LDog
05-07-2011, 18:22

I have a bunch of 2"x3" zip-lock style bags in which I keep basics. They're all stashed in a freezer baggy.

ShelterLeopard
05-07-2011, 19:00
Depends on what you call gourmet... I think anything fresh. I made a delicious canadian bacon, fried egg, swiss cheese breakfast sandwich on a fresh bagel, grilled in my frying pan. So good.

ShelterLeopard
05-07-2011, 19:01
I'm amazed the eggs didn't break. I carried them for maybe five days and had one sandwich every morning.

Beachcomber
05-07-2011, 19:01
I'm using some of my stash of old-fashioned 35-mm film tins -- the aluminum ones with screw-on caps -- left over from the '60s. Perfect size for salt, spices, the aspirin and Aleve my old knees require. Tough, won't open accidentally, and compact.

One Half
05-08-2011, 13:54
I recently saw a video of someone using straws and one of those M&M tubes to store spices in. I think the tubes were 3.5" long - cut a straw 4.5", 1" and 1/2", fold over one end of longest piece and cover with 1/2" piece and tape in place, fill with spice and label, fold over other end and use the 1" piece to hold folded end in place. Place straws (now about 3" long) in M&M tube. Also saw something similar with a tictac container.