PDA

View Full Version : tarps and ticks

Captain_Slo
04-08-2011, 14:36
Is there any data that suggests that tarp users have a higher frequency of tick bites/tick borne diseases than folks in hammocks or proper tents?

IE: is sleeping on the ground in the leaf litter--even with a ground sheet--risky in terms of tick exposure?

Snowleopard
04-08-2011, 15:17
I don't have data on this, but I've given it some thought.
One bit of data that I read someplace is that deer ticks (Lyme disease) are active in leaf litter year round as far north as Connecticut. Also, this spring reports on the local news say that ticks become a problem as soon as the snow cover is gone.
If you're inside a fully enclosed bug bivy or bug tent, you should be fine. But, after bug season that seems silly. I think the thing to do is have a large enough ground sheet that you don't come in direct contact with the leaf litter. I would treat at least the outer part of the ground sheet with permethrin so that any ticks have to crawl over the permethrin to reach me. This would also help with other crawling insects. I don't want to treat my sleeping bag with permethrin.
Some things I don't know and wonder about:
How well does permethrin last on the usual ground cloth materials of tyvek, silnylon, PU nylon or polycryo?
How far do deer ticks crawl on a ground cloth?
Can the wind move them onto you? I'd guess it's pretty unlikely.

My guess is that you're more likely to pick up ticks walking around than in bed. I try to wear clothing (long pants and long sleeved shirt) treated with permethrin when ticks are a possibility. I try to avoid using deet, but use it when needed.

Miner
04-08-2011, 16:13
Use a tyvek sheet as a ground cloth and soak it in Permithrin ahead of time. No insects will want to crawl on it to get you and it should last for months since you aren't going to wash it. That said, I've never picked up a tick while sleeping under a tarp and I've been using one since 2005 including a thru of the PCT. Actually, I've never even had ant problems though thats mainly because I look for them before I set up camp.

SassyWindsor
04-08-2011, 20:10
My experience with tarping is that the discomfort of having noseeums, mosquitoes, deer flies, black flies outweigh any discomfort from carry a solo tent. Throw in blowing rain/snow, high wind, wandering wildlife (snakes, pigs, raccoons, scorpions, etc), lack of privacy and I find the tent as an essential item for me. The weight saving and the hassle just isn't worth it.

leaftye
04-08-2011, 20:23
Is there any data that suggests that tarp users have a higher frequency of tick bites/tick borne diseases than folks in hammocks or proper tents?

You don't need data for a simple no brainer yes/no scenario, although with all the common sense studies that are done, someone probably has done it.

sbhikes
04-08-2011, 22:02
I don't know what the ticks do back east. I live out west. I can see the ticks as I hike. I know what they look like so can spot them. I've taken a good look at them. What they do is climb to the end of some grass or other plant that hangs over the trail and wait with their hind legs outstretched. As soon as you brush up to the plant, they grab on with those hind legs. I would suspect that if you find a tick on you while you are in bed, it found you during the day when you were hiking and brushing up against the plants.

leaftye
04-08-2011, 22:08
I would suspect that if you find a tick on you while you are in bed, it found you during the day when you were hiking and brushing up against the plants.

When I find ticks, they're usually on my pack, which is why I treated my pack with permithrin. I haven't had any bites...yet. This is one reason why I'd love a UL tent with a fully enclosed separate space for my gear. Kind of like a vestibule with a floor, or at least a net floor. That would keep my pack and any ticks on it away from me, but also prevent bugs from getting into it at night.

Mountain Mike
04-08-2011, 23:12
Like said before ticks lay & wait for you. You are far more likely to pick one up walking than sleeping.

On east coast Lyme's Disease (first found in Lyme, CT) is the ailment transmited most by ticks. It takes a tick about 24 hrs to infect you if it is infected itself. So a daily check is a good idea.

I sheltered & tarped the AT on my thru. Found two ticks on me the entire hike.

Captain_Slo
04-08-2011, 23:30
You don't need data for a simple no brainer yes/no scenario

Observational or otherwise...wasn't necessarily calling for peer reviewed

anyway, I've been some places in Georgia (Cumberland Island, Sapelo Island) where the ground is literally CRAWLING with little seed ticks. They don't even bother with climbing up grass to jump on you, they just wait 'till you stop moving and head on up your leg. I'm not sure if that's like a coastal thing, or a bad timing thing (if ticks have seasons...) but if the whole AT is like that, I'm not sure how anyone could use a tarp.

It does sound (from this small poll) like my experience with ticks (!) isn't common for the length of the AT.

Bare Bear
04-09-2011, 13:36
Ticks suck blood, Lyme just sucks. Get tested yearly if you hike a lot along with your usual physical no matter what sleep situation you prefer.