PDA

View Full Version : Storing Gear...

Chubbs4U
04-08-2011, 14:56
When you get home where/how do you store your gear? I ask cause I have cats and they would tear the crap out of some things if I had to leave them hanging for a long period of time.

ShoelessWanderer
04-08-2011, 15:00
I have big plastic rubbermaid bins I use. Keeps stuff clean and keeps animals out of the gear.

Chubbs4U
04-08-2011, 15:09
Do you take your sleeping pad, sleeping bag and other things out of the stuff sacks?

Tipi Walter
04-08-2011, 15:15
Simple solution: get rid of the cats.

Hikes in Rain
04-08-2011, 15:17
I have cats, too. I absolutely know what you mean!

Yes, definatley take the sleeping bag out of the stuff sack! Storing it compressed is one of the best ways to ruin it, by keeping the insulation packed down. Many bags come with a larger storage sack, as well as the stuff sack. If not, (and I have one that doesn't), you can lay them flat under a guest bed (if you keep the door closed on the fir kids) or folded once or twice in a closed closet. Same with the mat, especially if it's a self-inflating with a foam core. Just open the valve and let it breath. I store mine flat, too.

Most of the rest, I just keep in the pack so it's all in one spot.

WhoDey
04-08-2011, 15:19
Do you take your sleeping pad, sleeping bag and other things out of the stuff sacks?

Yes. Take your sleeping bag out of the stuff sack so as to preserve the loft. if possible lay it out in an unused room but since you have cats then I guess that is not an option. As to sleeping pads it depends on what you have. If it's a ccf pad then it is fine. I have a Neo-air and I store it loosely rolled up with the valve open

royalusa
04-08-2011, 15:25
We put things in a spare bedroom closet. Works for us, but if you're like 10-K with all the recent cool purchases, you'd need to dedicate a whole room or house for the gear! (Man, I wish I had that issue!)

88BlueGT
04-08-2011, 15:31
You can store your stuff however you choose. Sleeping bags should remain at full loft when stores and water bladders and water bags should be froze. Water pumps should be dried out before storage. Thats all I can think of.

88BlueGT
04-08-2011, 15:32
OH YEA, and don't do go on a trip and forget that your pot is dirty and leave it sit in your bag for a month, NOT COOL!

ShoelessWanderer
04-08-2011, 15:34
I have one big box for sleeping bag...so they stay all nice and fluffy while stored. Then another one for tents/sleeping pads to keep them laid out flat, but folded while in the box. Don't stuff them in. Give them some room to breath. I actully have a small little 3-drawer plastic storage bin that I use to organize the rest like first aid stuff/fuel/food (fuel & food always stored in different drawers!) and dry bags & misc clothes that I only use while camping...like gloves and hats.

Trailweaver
04-08-2011, 15:37
I have cats too, and agree that they can make a mess of gear. I put my sleeping bags in a large cotton pillowcase with their stuff sack so that doesn't get lost. I have several large storrage bins and try to keep backpacking gear together, kayaking gear together, and "extra" gear together.

My biggest problem is just making myself separate it all out and clean it up after I get home because I'm tired from the trip and there's always an overload of stuff to do at the house when I return. It usually takes several days to catch up.

WingedMonkey
04-08-2011, 15:58
When you get home where/how do you store your gear? I ask cause I have cats and they would tear the crap out of some things if I had to leave them hanging for a long period of time.

I put the cats in as Rubbermaid box.

:banana

tuswm
04-08-2011, 16:12
I definitely keep all the down coats and sleeping bags in a closet where everything lofts.

But I know we both have the foam filled inflatable pads. I have tried keeping them inflated under the bed. But after having it compressed in my pack for 18 hours I can not tell any difference in the way it was stored.

Did your new sleeping bag come yet?

Bare Bear
04-09-2011, 12:27
I use three stackable plastic boxes. 1 has my lite gear set including clothes; 2 has heavy bag and warm weather gear; 3 has all spare gear. I also like to keep at least a weeks 'trail food' so that I can be on the road to go hike in five minutes. Checklists help keep me from forgetting anything but 99% of the time if the #1 box is emptied into my pack then I am ready to go.

Chubbs4U
04-18-2011, 23:41
So before I used my sleeping bag I had left it in the stuff sack for a bit. I used it a few weeks ago and it seemed to not meet its rec temp of 20 degrees. Its a Marmot bag and it was new when I got it. Do I need to "fluff" the bag. Is there anything I can do? Im not a cold sleeper but had that, a liner and long johns and was still a bit chill. Dont think it reached much below 35 or so. Thoughts

Feral Bill
04-19-2011, 00:58
OH YEA, and don't do go on a trip and forget that your pot is dirty and leave it sit in your bag for a month, NOT COOL!

I'm still hearing about the time I did that 40 years ago. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif This from my best friends.

Bucherm
04-19-2011, 06:28
I have animals..no problem with them. Just prop the backpack up against the wall of your closet. Sleeping bags are draped over the door of closet.

klpicktown
04-19-2011, 07:56
hang in spare bedroom closet

Chubbs4U
06-06-2011, 02:34
someone stated that they fold their sleeping bags into a rubber bin. Is folding ok? How many bags in how big of a bin?

Rocket Jones
06-06-2011, 06:08
I have my quilt loosely stuffed into an 18 gallon bin. My uncompressed pillow and some hiking clothes go in there too.

DAJA
06-06-2011, 08:13
I built a gear closet for our gear. Everything has a place, and its dry and warm. Close the door and the pets can't get in.

Sleeping bags go in large cotton storage bags and hung. Packs hung, stove, dry sacks, fuel, first aid, etc all go on shelves, tents are loosely packed in totes with damp rid, thermarests are stood against the side wall and supported by a chest of drawers which holds hiking clothing...

With this level of organization I can be packed and ready for the trail, or paddle within 10 minutes.

lush242000
06-06-2011, 16:34
Simple solution: get rid of the cats.

I agree. Anything that poops inside the house and leaves it out needs to go.:-?

hikerboy57
06-06-2011, 19:56
cats can conveniently be stored in a small stuff sack. most cats compress to a ball the size of your fist.(sometimes a little effort is required.)

LIhikers
06-06-2011, 20:25

If you didn't leave the cats hanging for long periods they probably wouldn't be so upset that they tear up your gear to get even :D

Chubbs4U
09-19-2011, 17:59
Just got a WM bag and wanted to store it "perfect". I have a 50gl plastic bin that I will use and I will put my sleeping pad underneath it. My question is can I "stuff" it into the cotton bag it came with or should I just let it sit in the plastic bin. Thanks for the help.

Trailbender
09-19-2011, 18:20
We put things in a spare bedroom closet. Works for us, but if you're like 10-K with all the recent cool purchases, you'd need to dedicate a whole room or house for the gear! (Man, I wish I had that issue!)

I prefer to have what I use currently, and nothing else. I hate having tons of stuff around the house. I keep my pack in daypack configuration, loaded up and ready to hike. If I do an overnight, I add my sleeping pad and sleeping bag. Most gear you can make or modify yourself. I'll probably make my next pack and tent, I have to sew and change the config around so much when I get one, might as well make it myself. Still got a lot of use left in my current gear, though.

beaudetious
09-19-2011, 19:25
I put the cats in as Rubbermaid box.

That made me smile.

beaudetious
09-19-2011, 19:29
cats can conveniently be stored in a small stuff sack. most cats compress to a ball the size of your fist.(sometimes a little effort is required.)

That made me laugh out loud which upset my cats. Thanks a lot. Now they are eyeballing my bag and flexing their nails.