PDA

View Full Version : FIrst overnughter for my boys

enurdat1
04-08-2011, 15:01
Took my 2 of my sons (10 and 12) for their first overnighter last night. We chose the Coosa Trail from Vogel state park (thanks for the rec folks). Headed out yesterday around 1 pm. The boys were really mouthy about it's no bigger than Stone Mtn, and we've climbed bigger hills so we went clockwise. You go straight into the Slaughter Mtn ascent. BY the time we peaked Slaughter, we were all worn out so we back tracked a little to a good camp site. This morning we decided to come back down CCW, and took the Bear Hair Trail down. Great trip overall.

enurdat1
04-08-2011, 15:03
Sorry about the typos
DT

Tipi Walter
04-08-2011, 15:09
I don't know much about Vogel, but I see you're from Robbinsville, and I'm wondering if I've ever seen you out and about in the Kilmer-Slickrock-Citico area?

enurdat1
04-08-2011, 15:45
Possible, We get up there every month or two. We also spend some time at Cades Cove, Klingmans, Fontana, and Stecoah. I work in Atl, so my time is split. I'm the old fat bald dude that refuses to give up.

shaman.in.a.yurt
04-08-2011, 15:55
Nice, I've hiked the Coosa on an overnight before, I enjoyed it. On the 2nd day heading back to the park I had my closest bear encounter yet! It came out of a berry thicket 8-10 yds in front of me while hiking along a spine of a ridge. It sniffed the air, I yelled and broke a stick across a tree. It just stepped a little closer, half reared up sniffing. I broke the rest of my found hiking stick and yelled again... then as I reached around into my pack for the .45 (to try and scare it off) it ran down the side of the ridge!

mister krabs
04-08-2011, 16:37
Great overnight, I did it last weekend with my 9 yo son.