PDA

View Full Version : custom insoles

fullofadventure
01-19-2005, 11:38
Are custom made orthopedic insoles worth the money ($400CAD) to have made? Are they going to be guarantied better than say the CustomFit 3 piece Superfeet insloes($130CAD)?

http://www.superfeet.com/content/custom-green.html#.html

Does anyone with experience in expensive custom insoles know how long they will last compared to the custom Superfeet insoles?

c.coyle
01-19-2005, 11:54
Are custom made orthopedic insoles worth the money ($400CAD) to have made? Are they going to be guarantied better than say the CustomFit 3 piece Superfeet insloes($130CAD)?

What's your problem? If it's something like over pronation, and not too severe, off the shelf insoles may be enough. They were for me. I wouldn't invest in custom insoles unless a podiatrist with a sports medicine background prescribed them.

I've never tried Superfeet. These work fine for me, cost $60, and wear like iron:

Orthodynamics (http://www.orthodynamics.com/middistance.html)

Footslogger
01-19-2005, 11:58
Depends a great deal on your feet and the degree to which they vary in terms of arch heigth and heel to arch distance.

What custom foot beds allow you to do is "fine tune" a pair of off-the-shelf boots/shoes to the individual characteristics of your feet.

But you don't have to spend the type of money you mentioned to get a decent pair of custom foot beds. For under $100 you can be fitted for custom Super Feet. I used to work at an outfitter and was put through the whole Super Feet training course. As a former paramedic with a good background in orthopedics, I understood foot biomechanics and the Super Feet concept makes good sense.

A standard trim-to-fit Super Feet foot bed will "dial in" about 40 - 50% of the problems but if you've got significant arch issues, especially if they vary from foot to foot, you might want to consider going the custom route.

Super Feet aren't fior everyone ...but they work for the majority of hikers and if you fall into that category your feet will thank you for using them.

'Slogger
AT 2003

fullofadventure
01-19-2005, 13:00
I did go to my doctor (family) and he gave me a prescription to get custom made insoles made. I was just asking because I am not covered (I am applying to see if BC med will pay) for the cost of these expensive insoles and was wondering if it was best to get the top of the line Superfeet instead to save some money.

Here is where I might get them done at and some info on what they do.

http://www.kintecfootlabs.com/fabrication.html (http://www.kintecfootlabs.com/fabrication.html)

http://www.kintecfootlabs.com/assessments.html (http://www.kintecfootlabs.com/assessments.html)

http://www.kintecfootlabs.com/orthotics.html (http://www.kintecfootlabs.com/orthotics.html)

The whole process seems to be very technical and looks far superior to what I would get from Superfeet but in reality I am wondering if I would even know/feel the difference.

My problem is I have a high arch which causes planter fasciitis and it is really starting to bother me. I was hiking about 10k a day for a week and now I have to take a break because the pain is bothering me to much. It seems to come on and off depending on how active I am.

I am also going to try so stretching techniques to see if that help and try to massage it and lest once a day. I have also seen those night splints and am thinking about looking into one of those too.

The feet are the most important thing for us hikers and I want to be able to walk without feeling pain so I am looking for answers because I hate being sidelined and reading other peoples trip reports.

c.coyle
01-19-2005, 13:23
The whole process seems to be very technical and looks far superior to what I would get from Superfeet but in reality I am wondering if I would even know/feel the difference.

The first pair of orthotics I used were custom made, cost about $200 U.S., and wore out quickly. So I decided to try off the shelf orthotics at 1/3 the price, and I, personally, didn't notice any difference. They worked as well and lasted longer. Your experience may be different.

I'd still see a good podiatrist before spending lots of money.

gravityman
01-19-2005, 15:03
[font=Arial]My problem is I have a high arch which causes planter fasciitis and it is really starting to bother me. I was hiking about 10k a day for a week and now I have to take a break because the pain is bothering me to much. It seems to come on and off depending on how active I am.

I am also going to try so stretching techniques to see if that help and try to massage it and lest once a day. I have also seen those night splints and am thinking about looking into one of those too.

The feet are the most important thing for us hikers and I want to be able to walk without feeling pain so I am looking for answers because I hate being sidelined and reading other peoples trip reports.

If you have having PF problems, then you should absolutely get custum orthotics, and NOT custom superfeet. There's a world of difference. There is also a world of difference between orthotic makers. I've had a crappy pair, switched to green superfeet and was happy until I trained for a marathon and got ITBS (pain on the outside of the knee) and a fair amount of forefoot pain. Finally found a great place that makes incredible orthotics (Boulder Center for Sports Medicine) and it is an amazing difference, although it is taking time to fine tune them.

I suggest trying to see a true sports medicine doctor, preferable someone that is a runner. It takes a few rounds with any doctor/orthopiedist to get the insole right. I would be leary of trying to do it mail order.

Gravity

kaytee
01-19-2005, 16:15
I would go with the custom insoles. I got a pair made for me a few months ago and cant imagine going back. My feet and legs can last a lot longer before they get tired. A sports doc prescribed my orthotics for me and I don’t imagine that he enlightened me anymore than your gp did. In my case I learned a lot more during my first visit to the Pedorthetist. He explained to me exactly what was wrong with my feet, and how orthotics could help me. I don’t know about in BC, but in Ontario that visit was covered under OHIP. After that visit I could decide whether I wanted to get them or not. The Pedorthetist that I saw had an extensive sports background (worked at the Olympics as a Pedorthetist). Ask what kind of "warranty" they will offer you. My pedorthetist will repair my insoles for free and told me that they should last 3 years without any problems and it I got the small wear and tear repaired before the cracks got too sever that they could last up to 4 years.

DangerPea
01-19-2005, 16:51
I had custom superfeet and still ended up with severe problems. I have very high arches and bone structure that makes me prone to nueromas. I got nueromas on my 2001 thru hike & that is ultimately what forced me off the trail.

For me, there was absolutely no question that the custom orthodics that I now have are superior. They treat my specific needs & irregulatrities. PLus, I was able to get them fine tuned to be perfect. For me that was extremely important & with PF issues, I think it would be for you too.

Depending on materials I was told that they could last many, many years (up to 10 if I recall correctly).

For me a metatarcel pad and adequate arch support are critical. If you are already having PF pain, I would not take the chance. With customs made orthodics they will be made to speciafcally treat yout anatomy & your problems. I personally think the custom superfeet are a rip off. They just form to your foot but they do not guarantee that they will put your foot in a nuetral position or give you support or cushioning where you need it for your specific problem.
I would also highly agree that a person with a sports medicine background is a necessity in getting them made. Someone without that sports background probably won't understand what you need these to do & the conditions you will be exposed to while using them....

neo
01-19-2005, 19:31
i bought a pair of super feet insoles 30.00 i hiked 20 to 25 miles a day from tn/nc to dalton mass,gonna use my super feet insoles with a new pair solamon
running shoes when i hike from dalton mass to gorham newhampshire:sun neo