PDA

View Full Version : advice on "spot on" tracking device

moana
04-08-2011, 19:50
Does anyone ever used a "spot on" (tracking device) ? Like found on the following site:

http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Inc-SPOT-1-Personal-Tracker/product-reviews/B000YTZV74/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

My dad is leaving next month for a very long hiking experience (from Florida to Canada) and doesn't want to be bothered with a cell phone because you need to charge them and most of the time they don't work in the middle of nowhere...

However, I want to know if everything is going well with him or I would be extremely worried!

I looked on amazon and found out there were a lot of bad comments. Is there another alternative?

If anyone ever used this or knows someone using it, could you tell me what the 'real' costs were and what your experience is with it.

jbsbestfan
04-08-2011, 20:25
Hey Moana. I bought a SPOT last year before I did a 5 day section hike on the AT. I did not purchase the thing for safety, but for entertainment for family and friends. I took it on 2 practice hikes before I hit the AT. Both of these hikes went into densly forested valleys with creeks. I had the thing set to send my signal every 10 minutes. It almost always sent my signal when I was high, but when I was in thee valleys not signals were sent. On the AT, the thing worked much better on the approach trail and past blood mountain. I have experimented with it a lot trying different ways to carry it, and found the following to be the case:

1. If you want your signal sent up every 10 minutes, you will disappointed.
2. If you want your family and friends to have general ideas where you are so that they see where you are every 20-30 minutes, you will be pleased.
3. If you stop with the unit and hold it skyward, you will probably always be able to get the uplink to mark your progress. Consequently, if you hit the I am safe button every night while checking to make sure you have signal, family will know where you are sleeping and that you are safe.
4. The success you will have with the unit depends a lot on how you carry the unit. On your arm 50%, around your neck 50%, velcroed to the top of your backpack with industrial velcro and a protection rope 75%. I would almost bet that if you strapped it to the top of your head facing skyward, you would get signal close to 100% of the time. I do not plan to test this method.

Bottom line is do not expect that you will have your signal sent up every ten minutes. If you are satisfied with your family and friends knowing your general location every 20-30 minutes and knowing when you click safe at night, you will be pleased.

I have not had to deal with customer service at all about issues, although I saw reviews where people complain a lot about their experiences.

I bought it mainly for entertainment purposes for family and it is light to deal with. If I were to have an emergency I believe I could aim it skyward and get assistance.

Moana, you can ask more detailed questions if you have any more.

couscous
04-08-2011, 20:53
It's hard to be "in the middle of nowhere" between Florida and Canada.

Shutterbug
04-08-2011, 21:13
Does anyone ever used a "spot on" (tracking device) ? Like found on the following site:

http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Inc-SPOT-1-Personal-Tracker/product-reviews/B000YTZV74/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

My dad is leaving next month for a very long hiking experience (from Florida to Canada) and doesn't want to be bothered with a cell phone because you need to charge them and most of the time they don't work in the middle of nowhere...

However, I want to know if everything is going well with him or I would be extremely worried!

I looked on amazon and found out there were a lot of bad comments. Is there another alternative?

If anyone ever used this or knows someone using it, could you tell me what the 'real' costs were and what your experience is with it.

I have been using the SPOT since it first came out. While there are lots of negative comments, most come from people who either have not used them or who don't understand how they work.

My family enjoys being able to follow me when I am hiking. It is great fun and could be a great help if needed.

I have only used the 911 feature once (a story that is too long to share here), but it worked just as it was supposed to work.

It is true that the "track" feature doesn't work every time, because it's signal can be blocked by anything that comes between the unit and the satellite. The "OK" signal and the "911" signal are repeated, so they usually get out.

The newest version of the SPOT actually allows one to send a text message to the family or even post your location on Facebook. During my recent hike of the Grand Canyon, my friends were able to follow me on my facebook page. Here is an example of the messages I posted:

Colorado River
http://platform.ak.fbcdn.net/www/app_full_proxy.php?app=117495788280572&v=1&size=z&cksum=79dd67d7df7a044228b514b994ac7300&src=http%3A%2F%2Fshared-files.s3.amazonaws.com%2FSPOTLocation.png (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffms.ws%2F4RrlJ%3Fref%3Dnf&h=28d49)

36.09885 latitude, -112.1113 longitude
Find out more at www.findmeSPOT.com

jbsbestfan
04-08-2011, 21:25
The Spot I got lets you set your account to post automatically to facebook also....but who wants a tracking signal going up every 10-20 or 30 minutes. I turned that setting off. I wish it would just put check ins on facebook. We could only send the pre-set text at check-in. I like the fact that the sos signal goes to cell phones and emails as you set them.

LOL to conscous' comment.

Bare Bear
04-09-2011, 12:00
Next we will be carrying a televison crew with every hiker....checking in once a week should be enough for most folks. I was never important enough to need more myself.

trailangelbronco
04-09-2011, 13:17
I only use my spot when bushwhacking in severely remote locations like the Frank Church Wilderness of Idaho or really nasty climbs so they know where to grab my body if I screw up. Waste of space and weight on a trail. On trail, I just bring my Iphone with Accuterra and blast location to Facebook once in a while along with a photo, just to make my hiking buddies jealous for not joining me on that hike.
AT is the last place I would ever bring my Spot.

kayak karl
04-09-2011, 13:20
i have one of the old ones if you want it for his trip. you would have to pay to activate it.

10-K
04-09-2011, 15:05
I'm currently in Lawrenceville, GA about an hour south of Springer and getting ready to head up there tomorrow.

I've spent over $1,000 buying new and lighter gear and when I was packing up last night my wife says, "I only have one favor to ask you... Will you take that thing that lets me know you're ok". (Talking about my SPOT).

I looked at her and was fixing to say no, and I just decided to throw the thing in my pack and suck it up.

Small price to pay for a spouse that supports my hobbies I'd say.

Smile
04-09-2011, 15:48
They are a great tool for letting folks know you're ok each night before you hit the bag.
If you're willing to carry one, why not. :)

max patch
04-09-2011, 15:56
I've spent over $1,000 buying new and lighter gear and when I was packing up last night my wife says, "I only have one favor to ask you... Will you take that thing that lets me know you're ok". (Talking about my SPOT).

Not picking on you, 10k, but your wifes comment is the perfect lead-in to one of my pet peeves about the spot.

You don't always get a signal/the battery may be dead/you may have dropped and broken the thing...how is the loved home at home going to feel when they don't get that reassuring "I'm ok" message?

kayak karl
04-09-2011, 15:58
I'm currently in Lawrenceville, GA about an hour south of Springer and getting ready to head up there tomorrow.

I looked at her and was fixing to say no, and I just decided to throw the thing in my pack and suck it up.

Small price to pay for a spouse that supports my hobbies I'd say.
that's why i carried mine. but i don't need it no more. i've wandered for so long they don't care anymore LOL

Shutterbug
04-09-2011, 16:08
Not picking on you, 10k, but your wifes comment is the perfect lead-in to one of my pet peeves about the spot.

You don't always get a signal/the battery may be dead/you may have dropped and broken the thing...how is the loved home at home going to feel when they don't get that reassuring "I'm ok" message?

I often hike alone in some pretty remote places. My family have been on enough hikes with me that they understand that technology sometimes fails. If for some reason the Spot stops sending, they will assume that it broke (or that I turned it off) until I miss my return date.

If I fail to return, they will know to start looking at the site where my last message was sent.

In my opinion, it is better for them to have some information than none.

10-K
04-09-2011, 16:08

I know, right?

I told her if she didn't get an ok message it didn't mean I wasn't ok.

If it were up to me I'd just send a text at some random point every day - I don't even know what's so important about knowing your ok at the end of the day.. What's wrong with knowing I'm ok at say.... 1:46 PM?? :)

kayak karl
04-09-2011, 16:20

you own one????you know if they get the OK, right. you are talking from experience right?

Morel
04-09-2011, 16:27
I have been on both ends of this issue-as a hiker and as a parent at home. I like the SPOT. I pay for the service it helps with peace of mind for the family. It is not always about us. When momma's happy everybody is happy.

Raul Perez
04-09-2011, 16:53
Grabbed one a few days ago and I have been playing with it. Since my partner bailed on me my woman has been giving me a hard time about my upcomming hike. Got this so she can somewhat track my progress and give her some peace of mind. We will see how this actually works out in the field.

10-K
04-09-2011, 16:55
Grabbed one a few days ago and I have been playing with it. Since my partner bailed on me my woman has been giving me a hard time about my upcomming hike. Got this so she can somewhat track my progress and give her some peace of mind. We will see how this actually works out in the field.

You doing the tracking and the whole bit?

Raul Perez
04-09-2011, 17:24
Yeah I'm doing a few hikes this year figured I'd opt for the tracking. Looking to hike the linville gorge in november and do the whole npt next year.

jbsbestfan
04-09-2011, 20:25
I agree with 10K's earlier comment. If my wife is willing to let me go run around in the woods for a week at a time and buy new gear every year....it is worth the small extra weight to provide her with something to look at on the internet other than facebook.
I also agree with Shutterbug. Although I do not doubt some people may get a bum unit....most people who are not happy are probably not carrying it correctly or something. Make sure you don't over expect from it.
We followed a friend on the CDT who used one and the whole church followed the progress.