PDA

View Full Version : I surrender

Pedaling Fool
04-09-2011, 08:43
I think all you who don't see a problem with trail feeds won the debate, just by sheer numbers, but sometimes that's all it takes. I can't think of any thing else to throw at you, you won, I surrender. However, I'll still say, no thanks, to feeds and keep walking. I don't care so much about the feeds at road crossings, although I wish there was just a sign pointing down the road, but it is what it is. What I really hate is the badgering I get when I say, "no thanks", but more importantly when those feeds come into the woods, that's just wrong...but like I said, I surrender.

But I'm a little curious of how many trail feed supporters feel somewhat slighted when at an awsome overlook and someone's phone rings and then they start having a conversation. And there are many different variations of this scenario that can play out, such as someone playing a radio in this spot of that... or.... Are you'll alright with that?

I guess what my question is, what bugs you on the trail? What does it take to make you feel as though your hiking experience has been disrupted by other hikers?

Majortrauma
04-09-2011, 09:04
What bugs me is kids/very young "adults" if you can call them that making the trek to a shelter from a nearby road and just making a total mess of the place with noise and everything else that goes on.
The other thing is people who come in and have no sense of decency with language and the subjects they discuss. I hike with my 5 kids (10yo to 18yo) and there's no telling what they'll hear before get a chance to ask them to moderate their discussion. Most of the time it works but there are those who actually think I should move my site. I'd rather be sitting there with a dude or dudette smoking weed than that type of thing.

Namaste
04-09-2011, 09:15
I remember seeing some of those trail feeds in the woods and thought it was odd. One experience I can remember vividly was coming upon the smell of greasy hamburgers grilling on a bbq and the people were yelling to come on over and get some grub. I smiled and said "no thanks" and kept going.

But since you brought up the cell phone issue......that would be my number 1 complaint. I don't get why people have to make casual phone calls from the woods just to talk to their friends about nothing. Why do we all have to be subjected to it while enjoying a beautiful view. Stupid....plain stupid. Just stay home.

Driver8
04-09-2011, 09:23
I think all you who don't see a problem with trail feeds won the debate, just by sheer numbers, but sometimes that's all it takes. I can't think of any thing else to throw at you, you won, I surrender. However, I'll still say, no thanks, to feeds and keep walking. I don't care so much about the feeds at road crossings, although I wish there was just a sign pointing down the road, but it is what it is. What I really hate is the badgering I get when I say, "no thanks", but more importantly when those feeds come into the woods, that's just wrong...but like I said, I surrender.

I think people who trash the trail, shelters, etc., are a problem. Rude behavior, generally, is, too. Anyone who badgers someone to take food or drink at a hiker feed is way off base, imo, and I think most would agree.

Any otherwise benign conduct in the trail corridor CAN be a problem if taken to extremes. "Leave no trace," seems to me, are the key words.

royalusa
04-09-2011, 12:02
What bugs me on the trail and takes away from my hiking experience? Not much really, since it's still way better than a day in the office ...but if I really had to come up with something, I'd say ...

Trash and discarded gear/clothing. In the past month, we have hauled over 90 pounds of trash and discarded gear/clothing off the trail! Some shelters looks so bad with all the discarded gear and clothing that it looks like a garage sale!

Live trees being chopped down for firewood.

Noisy hikers... could be cell phone usage or just generally loud people.

Too many people.

Unleashed dogs. I have a bit of a phobia of loose dogs after several bites and attacks on myself and watching my Dad heal (both physically and mentally) after 2 pit bulls had their way with him.

But all in all, it still beats a day in the office, hands down!

Rockhound
04-09-2011, 13:38
Trash, trash, trash is what bothers me most. especially firepits being used as trashcans. Burning paper is OK by me but watching someone burn all those foil wrappers and plastic really sets me off. I have seen Whiteblazers even, people who supposedly have a love and appreciation of the trail, do it right in front of me. Justifying their action by saying it just "disappears". 1) no it doesn't and 2) what part of LNT and "pack it in, pack it out" do you not understand? and 3) do not feign ignorance and claim to be a member of this site. You should know better. Burning your trash in firepits is just a sign of laziness and apathy.

10-K
04-09-2011, 14:18
Actually I don't care if your phone rings when I'm looking at a view.

Not the topic of your thread but.....

aaronthebugbuffet
04-09-2011, 14:42
Chill out dude and let me put another hamburger on the grill for you. Just a second though I have to take this call.

kayak karl
04-09-2011, 15:08
never had trail feed. i hike off season. complaining from your computer chair just don't cut it. the next time you bypass a feed post with pics. otherwise, it didn't happen, you ain't real and i don't believe what you post.
what bugs me? threads like this:D

Rockhound
04-09-2011, 15:21
When I see a hiker feed I will not just pass by without having my opinion heard. I will be sure to tell the providers that this "magic" should be done far enough from the trail so as not to offend those that may have a negative opinion of such gatherings and that although they may have good intentions they very well may be ruining the trail experience for many. I generally wait until after my second or third burger before mentioning this however.

kayak karl
04-09-2011, 15:25
When I see a hiker feed I will not just pass by without having my opinion heard. I will be sure to tell the providers that this "magic" should be done far enough from the trail so as not to offend those that may have a negative opinion of such gatherings and that although they may have good intentions they very well may be ruining the trail experience for many. I generally wait until after my second or third burger before mentioning this however.
LOL maybe they should be in camden, nj or north philly. it would do more good.

Smile
04-09-2011, 15:35
Namaste: But since you brought up the cell phone issue......that would be my number 1 complaint. I don't get why people have to make casual phone calls from the woods just to talk to their friends about nothing. Why do we all have to be subjected to it while enjoying a beautiful view. Stupid....plain stupid. Just stay home.

Well said. Keep it off and in your pack for an emergency. Cut the cord - you're out here for a solo experience, and it's not one if you're techno-hiking. :)

kayak karl
04-09-2011, 15:48
Well said. Keep it off and in your pack for an emergency. Cut the cord - you're out here for a solo experience, and it's not one if you're techno-hiking. :)
some of us are not off when hiking. i keep it on vibrate.

Smile
04-09-2011, 15:49

Good point, you got it made :)

10-K
04-09-2011, 15:55

Same here...

I can hike with a phone or I can stay home with a phone.

Let's go hiking!

Back last spring I was hiking between Devil's Fork Gap and Erwin when we were negotiating the purchase of our house in Erwin. My phone went off during the offer/counteroffer process and when I finally got up high enough to get a signal I took off my pack and sat down and was talking with my wife about our strategy since she was doing all the stuff with the realtor.

A pack of hikers went by and the looks some of them gave me would have cut glass.... Who cares what they thought? I'm trying to buy a house.....

Bottom line: I'll take my phone and use it whenever I want to. I won't make calls in front of people just hanging out on the trail and I'm very aware when I do make a call but I'll never apologize for it.

WingedMonkey
04-09-2011, 16:12
Same here...

Let's go hiking!

Back last spring I was hiking between Devil's Fork Gap and Erwin when we were negotiating the purchase of our house in Erwin. My phone went off during the offer/counteroffer process and when I finally got up high enough to get a signal I took off my pack and sat down and was talking with my wife about our strategy since she was doing all the stuff with the realtor.

A pack of hikers went by and the looks some of them gave me would have cut glass.... Who cares what they thought? I'm trying to buy a house.....

Bottom line: I'll take my phone and use it whenever I want to. I won't make calls in front of people just hanging out on the trail and I'm very aware when I do make a call but I'll never apologize for it.

Don't they have a 12 step program for that?

kayak karl
04-09-2011, 16:32
Don't they have a 12 step program for that?
cheap shot a-hole. whats your problem????

WingedMonkey
04-09-2011, 16:38
cheap shot a-hole. whats your problem????
My problem is people addicted to cell phones. It's bad enough in line at McDonalds or the grocery store. It's bad enough if I'm out biking and 90 % of the time when a car almost hits me and I look at the driver and they got a phone glued to the ear.
I don't want the hear your business when I'm in the woods.
What's your problem?

Rockhound
04-09-2011, 16:45
He explained the circumstances under which he used his phone WM. You want to totally escape civilization? Then the AT is not the trail for you. May I suggest you go hike somplace at least as remote as the CDT until you can lighten up.

10-K
04-09-2011, 16:46
My problem is people addicted to cell phones. It's bad enough in line at McDonalds or the grocery store. It's bad enough if I'm out biking and 90 % of the time when a car almost hits me and I look at the driver and they got a phone glued to the ear.
What's your problem?

There's a difference to being addicted to a cell phone and legitimately needing to talk with someone.

I talk on my at most (under normal conditions) __maybe__ 10 minutes or so a day and I'm not going to apologize for it.

p.s. Speaking of bicyclists - I read in the paper not too long ago about a cyclist getting critically injured because he was running redlights. There are probably as many or more boneheaded bicyclists as there are automobile drivers.

WingedMonkey
04-09-2011, 16:51
Yes of course, running red lights on a bike or on foot is as stupid and unsafe as talking while driving, I completely agree.

WingedMonkey
04-09-2011, 16:57
He explained the circumstances under which he used his phone WM. You want to totally escape civilization? Then the AT is not the trail for you. May I suggest you go hike somplace at least as remote as the CDT until you can lighten up.

That is the same answer every thread has when someone does not like a music instrument "playing", a dog pissing on gear, or someone smoking weed, or having a party, or too many jesus burgers? Go hike somewhere else? I prefer a little trail courtesy and space to hike my hike on any trail.

:sun

tigerpaw
04-09-2011, 17:04
Just got back from a short hike, Woody to Unicoi Gap, with my 9 and 10 year-old sons. It was their first walk and we had a good time and met some really cool folks. We did not sleep in any shelters, partially due to my distaste for mice and for that reasson that Blood Mtn seems to be overrun with folks, regardless of age, that are inconsiderate. Foul mouths bother me almost as much as the trash the was lying about. I can't say for sure that the garbage mouth leaves the garbage, but they were always together. My cell phone doubles as my camera and was a necessity so that Mama Bear knew that we were still alive. We didn't come across any "feeds", but I bet 2 little dudes would have loved it. The great thing about it is that you really can HYOH, you just have to mean it. You can ignore the feeds, the crowds, and so on. Good luck to all of the NOBO thru's we met.

vamelungeon
04-09-2011, 17:37
It's none of anyone else's business if another person is talking on a cell phone on a trail in the middle of the woods. Jeez.

LDog
04-09-2011, 17:53
Same here...
Let's go hiking!

Right on! Clearly, for some people, HYOH has rigid parameters, addenda, and caveats ...

Rockhound
04-10-2011, 11:16
That is the same answer every thread has when someone does not like a music instrument "playing", a dog pissing on gear, or someone smoking weed, or having a party, or too many jesus burgers? Go hike somewhere else? I prefer a little trail courtesy and space to hike my hike on any trail.

You are the definition of an "Entitled" hiker. I would much rather run into a cellphone user, an unleashed dog, a weed smoker, a musician, a bible thumper, than somebody who thinks the world revolves around them.

WingedMonkey
04-10-2011, 12:13
You are the definition of an "Entitled" hiker. I would much rather run into a cellphone user, an unleashed dog, a weed smoker, a musician, a bible thumper, than somebody who thinks the world revolves around them.
Cool, then I wish you have all of that if it makes you happy. Or just stay at a hostel if that makes you happy. Or just hike another trail if not.

southpaw95
04-10-2011, 13:18
I can't stand religious or political conversations anytime or anywhere.

I can't wait for our annual "trail magic hiker feed " gig. :sun Hope to see some of you hikers out there.

It's free, we are not doing any preaching and if you want to keep on truckin' by all means keep on truckin'.

Happy trails...

Smile
04-10-2011, 13:19
It's none of anyone else's business if another person is talking on a cell phone on a trail in the middle of the woods. Jeez.

True. However, some hikers may liken this to someone who talks away behind you in a movie theatre. :)

Rockhound
04-10-2011, 13:27
Cool, then I wish you have all of that if it makes you happy. Or just stay at a hostel if that makes you happy. Or just hike another trail if not.
Hiking makes me happy. And although we all have our pet peeves, we are each responsible for our own happiness. So rather than saying something like, "my problem is....." and then pointing to the actions of others, perhaps you should be more introspective to find out the real reasons for your misery and anger.

Sierra Echo
04-10-2011, 13:33
Slow hikers who hog the trail and won't let me pass~!!!
I've had to fight off the urge to jab em in the butt with my poles~!

Rockhound
04-10-2011, 13:35
I'd say go with your urges. It's healthier....for you anyway.

Sierra Echo
04-10-2011, 13:37
I'd say go with your urges. It's healthier....for you anyway.

Yeah I probably should. Ive never been one to restrain my feelings/actions.
Besides if it were to turn out badly for me I can outhike them!

Rockhound
04-10-2011, 13:41
Good for you. All your gear should be multi-purpose

Tenderheart
04-10-2011, 13:47
On my thru hike, it seemed that every time I came across someone taking a break, they were doing it right smack dab in the MIDDLE of the trail. It was so annoying trying to go around them with STUFF spread all about. And every time it happened, they would say "I guess I shouldn't have stopped in the middle of the trail". Duh!!!!

litefoot

brian039
04-10-2011, 13:51
If something bothers you then 9 times out of 10 it's YOUR attitude that is the problem. We're all guilty of this from time to time and some more so than others. Just change you're attitude unless something that somebody is doing is actually hurting you or somebody else. It's not worth anybody's time to get worked up over something trivial, plenty of other problems in the world.

The vast majority of people don't really hike the trail for solitude, maybe a few moments here or there, but most people are social. If I had some trail magic set up in the woods and somebody passed it up without speaking, I would find that odd. But I hound them over it. To each their own.

brian039
04-10-2011, 13:52
I meant I wouldn't hound them over it.

Rockhound
04-10-2011, 13:55
If something bothers you then 9 times out of 10 it's YOUR attitude that is the problem. We're all guilty of this from time to time and some more so than others. Just change you're attitude unless something that somebody is doing is actually hurting you or somebody else. It's not worth anybody's time to get worked up over something trivial, plenty of other problems in the world.

The vast majority of people don't really hike the trail for solitude, maybe a few moments here or there, but most people are social. If I had some trail magic set up in the woods and somebody passed it up without speaking, I would find that odd. But I hound them over it. To each their own.
What pisses me off are the people who make perfectly sound and reasonable statements. Thinkin' they're all that with their common sense and their healthy attitude geesh. some people.

WingedMonkey
04-10-2011, 13:59
I am neither angry or miserable. I consider myself polite in the old south way. My first step on the trail was on a musician friends place in the Berkshires that he bought with his cash from Woodstock (before a slight relocation the trail ran through it). Love music, if not I can walk out of his house and into the woods. Got nothing against the use of herbs, used it everyday on my thru hike and never in a shelter or along the trail in some ones face. Got nothing against churches, lived in the steeple of one in Housatonic for over a year, I didn't carry the bell with me on the trail. Love dogs took his wife's wolf-shepard with me on day hikes all the time. Her refusal to keep it penned resulted in the neighbor shooting it after it got in the chicken coop. Broke my heart. But it was her business and her dog.
I don't hate any one for anything they do on the trail.
But I don't need to be told to hike somewhere else because of a lack of manners in sharing public space.

:welcome

Maple
04-12-2011, 21:34
What's your problem?

I would much rather walk past a hiker on a phone and keep on hiking my own hike than to have a car hit me because the idiot driver couldn't pull over to have his conversation. No one said you had to listen in on anyone else's conversations. Just keep on moving on.

Maple
04-12-2011, 21:47

And people that have to work for a living or have families that worry about them prefer a little common sense courtesy from idiots. If you want to hike the same trail as someone on the phone, stop stopping to listen to their conversations and move on! I am almost a hundred percent sure that no one ever said you were required to sit down next to them while they talked.

Papa D
04-12-2011, 21:59
I generally don't like cell phone conversations on the trail - I was out a few weeks ago and some weekend warriors were all yammering on their phones to their wives about what a grueling 8 mile hike they had done - they were checking weather and sports scores and stock reports and so forth - it does kind of bum me out - an discrete call, an emergency call or text is ok, I suppose.
Obviously, groups of folks from the roads coming to the shelters to build a fire, party down and make noise and trash is the worst sort of disturbance and inconsiderate behavior I can imagine.
I have always been able to have a nice quiet little party around a candle lantern - you just have to know what's up.

WingedMonkey
04-12-2011, 22:07
And people that have to work for a living or have families that worry about them prefer a little common sense courtesy from idiots. If you want to hike the same trail as someone on the phone, stop stopping to listen to their conversations and move on! I am almost a hundred percent sure that no one ever said you were required to sit down next to them while they talked.

You are correct, I would never sit down next to you.

ScrapIron
04-12-2011, 22:58
Some people need to get over themselves. Seriously.

flemdawg1
04-13-2011, 12:23
My only pet peeve: Shelter Grafitti. Lots of people took a great deal of time, effort and expense to create a lil' safe haven in the woods for hikers. And alot of the craftsmanship is beautiful, why do folks have to screw it up? If I wanted to know you went thru there, I'll read the shelter register. Its ugly, stupid and downright disrespectful IMO. Momma taught almost all of us not to write on the walls since the time we could grasp a crayon, wth makes it OK to do it in the woods, if you wouldn't doit to your own house?

Old Hiker
04-13-2011, 12:54

Make sure the baskets are on. You can always out-hike someone with a pole up their........... whatever!

Sierra Echo
04-13-2011, 16:04
Make sure the baskets are on. You can always out-hike someone with a pole up their........... whatever!

Bah hahahahahaaa old hiker! I like you!

Reid
04-13-2011, 17:05
Only thing that really gets me is when I usually hike solo and I'll run into someone every once in a while that acts like they are either too good to talk to me or seem to be scared of me. Like...wth dude? I know I have an outgoing personailty, I call everyone brother or cuz, and I'm bad about small talking people for no reason but I've come real close to thumpin a few people just for that kind of thing.

elmotoots
04-13-2011, 20:56
Nothing bugs me on the trail.

If I see or hear something I don't like I just move on, before it bugs me.

I ain't out there to let anything bug me..................

Maple
04-16-2011, 08:15
You are correct, I would never sit down next to you.
Thank goodness! I want to enjoy my hikes!

jcs1001
04-16-2011, 08:43
Good grief man. Why is it always an argument?

rsmout
04-16-2011, 12:46
Well, this is the forum for concerns and issues, and there is no shortage of either. The OP was an invitation to list pet peeves. We all have them; how we deal with them is a happiness factor. We can choose to be happy on the trail, or not. I hope to meet the happy people I hear so much about when I hike the trail. I might even pack out some trash - that's how I was trained and I'm happy to do it.

The people who put on hiker feeds invest a lot of money and time to provide what they think is a valuable service and to recognize people they admire. Most of them aren't hikers, so it's probably out of ignorance that they locate feeds where it might not be entirely appropriate. It is understandable to me that some of these folks expect some appreciation for all the trouble they go through to cheer us on. As for me, I few minutes off my schedule isn't going to ruin my hike, and I can always stop, accept a piece of fruit or a drink, say thanks, and move along. For many of us, these feeds can mean the difference between a bonk and a pain-free day. I'm thankful, but that's just me.

weary
04-16-2011, 14:15
The presence of a cell phone is just another subtle intrusion on what had been a reasonably wild trail. I used to argue that just the knowledge that many hikers carry the devices in their packs is an intrusion. Now the practice of using cell phones has gone well beyond that. They are now used blatantly all the time.

Those that don't understand that their phones are an intrusion, simply have no concept of the nature of wildness and why it is important. But I've pretty much given up trying to fight these intrusions.

I, like John Gault, surrender to the overwhelming power of the .....

fredmugs
04-16-2011, 23:55
Yuo know what irritates me? Whiny little b!itches who think everyone else should conform to their concepts. I don't use a phone or sleep in shelters but I do plan to sleep near them. I hike from sunrise to sunset and too many times there's some 10 mile a day hiker who acts like I'm ruining his entire hike because I got up before he was planning to. Sorry I ruined your 9 to 3 day.

Skyline
04-17-2011, 00:16
If there was only one or two trail feeds every year it wouldn't be an issue. But early on, northbounders in particular get so much of it that they grow to expect it. A few get really pissed when they don't find it where they want it. This contributes to the entitlement mentality a minority of thru-hikers (maybe a few non-thrus too) adopt.

This entitlement mentality has contributed to the closing of hiker services like hostels and shuttle services year after year. Eventually, well meaning providers of services to hikers get fed up with the demands the "entitled" make for free places to stay, free internet, free food, and free rides all over the place.

If you want to cook a meal for someone, there are a lot more needy folks in Appalachia, not to mention big cities and small towns everywhere. There are food banks, soup kitchens, etc. you can help by providing labor, food, or funds.

Hikers might appreciate "trail magic" until they get so much of it that the "magic" becomes commonplace, but very few really need "magic" such as provided by big hiker feeds. It's better to let the "magic" happen on a one-on-one basis when a hiker is truly in dire straits.

Disclaimer: I am a reformed provider of food and other treats at trail crossings, as well as a recipient of same. There are better ways to help people who really need the help, and I've learned to pass most of the "magic" by.

jesse
04-17-2011, 02:37
Trash, trash, trash is what bothers me most. especially firepits being used as trashcans. Burning paper is OK by me but watching someone burn all those foil wrappers and plastic really sets me off. I have seen Whiteblazers even, people who supposedly have a love and appreciation of the trail, do it right in front of me. Justifying their action by saying it just "disappears". 1) no it doesn't and 2) what part of LNT and "pack it in, pack it out" do you not understand? and 3) do not feign ignorance and claim to be a member of this site. You should know better. Burning your trash in firepits is just a sign of laziness and apathy.

What he said.

Rockhound
04-17-2011, 04:08
Good grief man. Why is it always an argument?
I disagree;)

the goat
04-18-2011, 08:47

But I'm a little curious of how many trail feed supporters feel somewhat slighted when at an awsome overlook and someone's phone rings and then they start having a conversation. And there are many different variations of this scenario that can play out, such as someone playing a radio in this spot of that... or.... Are you'll alright with that?

I guess what my question is, what bugs you on the trail? What does it take to make you feel as though your hiking experience has been disrupted by other hikers?

hike southbound & you can avoid all of the above.

xcess
01-04-2012, 23:17
I myself dont have a problem with feeds.You can always choose to not partake of the offerings, thing is it makes me feel good to see that people are still generous just because they want to be.Its part of the experience of being on the trail.Another thing after spending 6 to 10 days on the trail with only what I can carry, a nice thick grilled hamburger out of nowhere always taste so darn good.Yea Im glad for the gesture.

Papa D
01-04-2012, 23:24
I really don't appreciate cell phones withinEar-shot

Mountain Mike
01-04-2012, 23:30
PCT, CDT always other places to hike. Second wave of Manifest destinany. Driving cell phone haters further west & will be left with just a few pockets in the country like we did the Indians. But this time treaties not required

LDog
01-05-2012, 01:07

mrclean417
01-05-2012, 08:29
Hike your own Hike. If you see someone with a cell phone and it enrages you the problem isn't the cell phone.

It's YOU.

Honestly, if they didn't have a cell phone you'd find something else it's just socially acceptable to jump on anyone with a cellphone at this time. You went into the woods to be one with nature? That's fine, for you, but maybe someone else went in there to share. It is still a free country. If you can't stand the site of someone else enjoying themselves perhaps you need to go a little deeper into the country. Theres still parts of the Rocky Mountains that man hasn't seen before. Perhaps a trip up to Canada would do you some good.

Sides, hiking well established trails is for wimps not rugged individuals like you.

Now excuse me, I just got a picture of my Grand-daughters first poop in the toilet and I've got to get that up on Facebook.

Mike2012
01-05-2012, 09:29
When I talk to myself I'll try to make it clear I don't have a cellphone.

The Cleaner
01-05-2012, 10:58
FWIW,I was out hiking when this thread was satrted and I guess most of you know what gets me PO,that's how I got my trail name.I was hiking in the Sampson Mtn. Wilderness/Rocky Fork area.Didn't see any other hikers or their litter or any of the above issues for 4 days.My concern at that time was navagation in an area with many unmarked trails.The batteries in my GPS died and the spares also died.I did a lot of AT hiking in the late 70s&early 80s and all this stuff just wasn't a problem.For better or worse the AT just isn't what it used to be.Either deal with it or hike somewhere else...

mrclean417
01-05-2012, 12:03
They still sale maps and compasses.

They're right next to the espresso machine at the ranger station.

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2012, 12:07

They're right next to the espresso machine at the ranger station.And about the same price.

The Cleaner
01-05-2012, 13:51

They're right next to the espresso machine at the ranger station. I had the USGS 7.5 map and used the compass on my iphone.Pretty much figured out my location,I was using the GPS to track my route for future use.Came out at the entrance gate the next day.Rocky Fork is a cool place....I'm going back soon....

jacquelineanngrant
01-05-2012, 14:18
If there was only one or two trail feeds every year it wouldn't be an issue. But early on, northbounders in particular get so much of it that they grow to expect it. A few get really pissed when they don't find it where they want it. This contributes to the entitlement mentality a minority of thru-hikers (maybe a few non-thrus too) adopt.

(This entitlement mentality has contributed to the closing of hiker services like hostels and shuttle services year after year. Eventually, well meaning providers of services to hikers get fed up with the demands the "entitled" make for free places to stay, free internet, free food, and free rides all over the place.)

If you want to cook a meal for someone, there are a lot more needy folks in Appalachia, not to mention big cities and small towns everywhere. There are food banks, soup kitchens, etc. you can help by providing labor, food, or funds.

Hikers might appreciate "trail magic" until they get so much of it that the "magic" becomes commonplace, but very few really need "magic" such as provided by big hiker feeds. It's better to let the "magic" happen on a one-on-one basis when a hiker is truly in dire straits.

Disclaimer: I am a reformed provider of food and other treats at trail crossings, as well as a recipient of same. There are better ways to help people who really need the help, and I've learned to pass most of the "magic" by. Most thrus that I know are very appreciative of these trail angels providing feeds and such. Its not about hikers needing magic, its about folks wanting to help out hikers and enjoy the fellowship. In my experience, hikers are some of the most appreciative people out there.

Tenderheart
01-05-2012, 15:53
never had trail feed. i hike off season. complaining from your computer chair just don't cut it. the next time you bypass a feed post with pics. otherwise, it didn't happen, you ain't real and i don't believe what you post.

What bugs me? Posters like you!!!!

coheterojo
03-05-2012, 21:05
Trash pisses me off but I just pick it up and keep hiking. I'm indebted to the AT for giving me the most enjoyable times of my life. I enjoyed every hiker feed I ran into and never complained about a one. I think they're neat as all get out. They're usually put on by former thruhikers, right? People who encountered goodness and generosity on the trail and want to give back. What's wrong with that? Did that contribute to my sense of hiker entitlement? Did I expect to be fed around every next turn? I don't think so although I did have plans for a t-shirt that says: "Out of my way I'm a Thruhiker!":D

Apart from that I was just grateful to be on the trail. Anything I can do to give back to the trail I'll do, be it picking up trash, helping a fellow hiker or doing trail maintenance. Yes there are things that upset me but rather than just complain about them I either try to rectify the issue (picking up the trash) or I just move on down the trail.

Relax, Breathe deep. In with the good and out with the bad. Life's too short to be bitching about everything. Oh wait....I forgot. We're on Whiteblaze!

rocketsocks
03-05-2012, 21:29
Trash pisses me off but I just pick it up and keep hiking. I'm indebted to the AT for giving me the most enjoyable times of my life. I enjoyed every hiker feed I ran into and never complained about a one. I think they're neat as all get out. They're usually put on by former thruhikers, right? People who encountered goodness and generosity on the trail and want to give back. What's wrong with that? Did that contribute to my sense of hiker entitlement? Did I expect to be fed around every next turn? I don't think so although I did have plans for a t-shirt that says: "Out of my way I'm a Thruhiker!":D

Apart from that I was just grateful to be on the trail. Anything I can do to give back to the trail I'll do, be it picking up trash, helping a fellow hiker or doing trail maintenance. Yes there are things that upset me but rather than just complain about them I either try to rectify the issue (picking up the trash) or I just move on down the trail.

Relax, Breathe deep. In with the good and out with the bad. Life's too short to be bitching about everything. Oh wait....I forgot. We're on Whiteblaze!And on the back of the shirt please put "But only on the weekends"

Drybones
03-05-2012, 21:39
Dont sweat the little stuff...and it's all little stuff.

Sarcasm the elf
03-05-2012, 22:52
And on the back of the shirt please put "But only on the weekends"

Now that there's funny!:banana

ekeverette
03-05-2012, 22:53
the end!!!!!

msupple
03-06-2012, 00:10
Frankly, I'm surprised at how indignant people become over the use of cell phones on the trail. Other than the ring, how is talking on a cell phone any more annoying than talking to a fellow hiker standing right next to you. And regarding the ringing...how many people receive calls while hiking the AT? I plan on having my phone on airplane mode until I want to make a call or send data, in order to save battery life. Talking is talking...what's the beef? It kinda reminds of when I was in the Marines..."A happy Marine is a bitching Marine. ". Does that apply to hikers too? The AT is hardly some pristine wilderness experience. Just sayin'

Pedaling Fool
03-06-2012, 10:07
My first hike on the AT was a thru-hike of Maine back in the early 80’s. It was totally wild. You really felt separated from society until you hit a town. That was a special feeling. Since then the trail has become less and less wild and more like a walk in a city park. It’s really sad to me, but like I said in the OP, I surrender. I understand that it will never be like that again, coming to terms with that fact. To me it is very much worth it to not have the feeds and phones and all the other intrusions so one could really disconnect from it all, but that experience on the AT is gone forever.

So go ahead and let your phone ring away; I’m over it. Will never be the same.

surfnturk
03-06-2012, 15:01
Off the subject, are you related to Tom Gault?

Jim Adams
03-06-2012, 17:19

...so true and preaching!

Jim Adams
03-06-2012, 17:46
...one thing that I've never understood is why so many people on WB are against feeds but none of the hikers on the trail are!

geek

Pedaling Fool
03-06-2012, 17:57
Off the subject, are you related to Tom Gault?
No

Why do we need 10 characters to post?

max patch
03-06-2012, 18:25
...one thing that I've never understood is why so many people on WB are against feeds but none of the hikers on the trail are!

geek

One thing I've never understood is why so many people on WB are against injecting heroin into your veins but none of the junkies shooting up are!

Think about it.....

Jim Adams
03-06-2012, 18:42
One thing I've never understood is why so many people on WB are against injecting heroin into your veins but none of the junkies shooting up are!

Think about it.....

I have...you don't make any sense. You are comparing people having a soda, a hot dog or a beer with people injecting deadly drugs....yeah, my pet peeve is people shooting up heroin on the trail....some of us have a more realistic view of hiking!

geek

LDog
03-07-2012, 09:59
I think all you who don't see a problem with trail feeds won the debate, just by sheer numbers, but sometimes that's all it takes.

The tyranny of the masses. Aka, oppressive popular rule ...