PDA

View Full Version : Well, my bear spray debate is over.

The Counselor
04-09-2011, 18:15
When I first started reading and planning for my first multi-night BP trip, I was impressed by the things I read about bears and the stories of bear encounters. "The 50 miles you are hiking has more bears than any other section of the AT" the outfitter said. "I'm not going out there without something with me" my brother said. "Who cares about the stats, let's be prepared in case we are one of the rare folks that have a close call" one of my other buddies said.

As the months went by and I continued to read up on backpacking and the trail, the less I worried about it. But my brother keeps mentioning it.

So today, I finally stick my head in the local outdoors shop and ask about bear spray. The guy shows me a heavy, long canister for about 42 bucks. Decision made. Not happening.

I'll take a whistle into the hammock with me. Otherwise, I am faster than all three of my hiking mates. I'll take my chances.

Mountain Wildman
04-09-2011, 18:18
There ya go!!
You can't outrun a bear but if you can outrun the other hikers, Se La vie.:eek:

Joshuatree
04-09-2011, 18:23
Thats the idea you just have to be faster then the slowest guy

pdcollins6092
04-09-2011, 19:45
I had been thinking about taking some myself untill I saw the price and made up my mind that I dont need it that bad.

jerseydave
04-09-2011, 20:14
two possible solutions

1) a squirt bottle full of honey to douse down a "least liked" hiking partner with, just before you run

2) a stray cat spread with peanut butter

the above was only a joke........ get over it

jd

Sierra Echo
04-09-2011, 20:19
Bears don't like loud noises, so if one comes at you, just fart!

sheepdog
04-09-2011, 20:26
I just carry a small canister of pepper spray like you use for people. You don't need the grizzly bear canister.

buff_jeff
04-09-2011, 20:33
Honestly, I'd probably only consider bear mace in areas with Grizzlies, and even then I doubt I'd bring it. Black bears seem pretty docile to me, especially if you use common sense precautions around them.

This thread reminded me of the Dog the Bounty Hunter South Park episode :D:
http://southparkstudios-intl.mtvnimages.com/shared/sps/media/images/1010/1010_3_bear_maced_teacher.jpg

LoneRidgeRunner
04-09-2011, 20:52
Bears don't like loud noises, so if one comes at you, just fart!

What if the fart is a silent one?

LoneRidgeRunner
04-09-2011, 20:55
Bears are cool people... Don't need spray for Grizzlies or Black Bears ... Just leave her cubs alone... Everyone's seen to many "big bad bear" movies..

Sierra Echo
04-09-2011, 20:55

Then perhaps the accompanying smell that followed the bear sighting will chase it off!

The Counselor
04-09-2011, 20:57
It's a rare male over 45, anyway, that can do it on command risk free. Some risks are unacceptable. I'll take my chances with the bear.

LDog
04-09-2011, 21:07

Well, that would be a literal manifestation of "Silent but Deadly" wouldn't it?:rolleyes:

sbhikes
04-09-2011, 21:44
Hammock? Bear burrito!

Montana Mac
04-09-2011, 21:52
Well I have never carried my spray on the AT but I do when I work :D

GoldenBear
04-09-2011, 22:30
> I am faster than all three of my hiking mates

The guy who runs, thinking he only has to out-run his mates, is the one who the bear will chase. The ones who are smart enough to NOT run, are the ones the bear will leave alone.

First rule of bear encounters: running is the STUPIDEST thing you can do.

The Counselor
04-09-2011, 23:51
But then I couldn't use the throw away line.

Mountain Mike
04-10-2011, 01:37
I'm getting old & slow. No way I can out run the young bucks.So at night I tie their shoe laces together.

blitz1
04-10-2011, 06:31
here's the latest in non-lethal bear deterrents:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10268690/ns/us_news-security/
on a serious note, I've emailed a bear center to ask if there's any research on using low power laser pointers as bear deterrents. too weak to cause lasting eye damage, but if you dazzled the bear with it, would he run away? or come up to you to see if it tastes good?
If it worked, would be a great UL solution! could double to use as laserpointer in those powerpoint presentations you give to other hikers on how great your gear is.

Fiddleback
04-10-2011, 12:43
The need for more reading on the debate is indicated. Bear spray is not only for the hiker carrying it, it is also protection for other hikers nearby an encounter.

Beyond that, however, is something else. Something else that I think is important... It is protection for the bear(s).

A bear, be it the 'cute, little, mischievous' blacks of the AT or the more serious grizzlys of the Northern Rockies, are at risk anytime there is an encounter. A violent encounter, one that injures a hiker, most often ends with a euthanized bear and sometimes some dead cubs that couldn't make it on their own. Bear spray works quite well...it is very successful in ending encounters before they turn violent...before someone gets hurt. And that increases the odds of survival for the bear.

If one doesn't care about his/herself, that may or may not be OK by me. But not doing what one can to take care of others in the hiking party or preserving wildlife..? That's a no-no in my book. Our 'recreation' in bear habitat does not warrant a bear's preventable death. If one does not want to take simple precautions, one should stay out of bear territory. IMNSHO.

You can get shiny new canisters of Counter Assault for under thirty bucks if you watch for sales, e.g., the REI Spring Sale. I concede there's darn little risk on the AT but I don't concede that a dozen ounces worn on the belt for a cost of $30 is 'too much.'

FB

Fiddleback
04-10-2011, 12:51
I just carry a small canister of pepper spray like you use for people. You don't need the grizzly bear canister.

It's not the same stuff, it doesn't spray as far, it doesn't spray as widely, and it doesn't spray as long. Moreover, it's designed to be held up close to the face of the assailant...you should be on the ground and curled up by then if that assailant is a bear approaching at 30mph...

'Mace' might be a good idea for the trail but it isn't going to do the job on a bear.

FB

Lone Wolf
04-10-2011, 13:05
When I first started reading and planning for my first multi-night BP trip, I was impressed by the things I read about bears and the stories of bear encounters. "The 50 miles you are hiking has more bears than any other section of the AT" the outfitter said. "I'm not going out there without something with me" my brother said. "Who cares about the stats, let's be prepared in case we are one of the rare folks that have a close call" one of my other buddies said.

As the months went by and I continued to read up on backpacking and the trail, the less I worried about it. But my brother keeps mentioning it.

So today, I finally stick my head in the local outdoors shop and ask about bear spray. The guy shows me a heavy, long canister for about 42 bucks. Decision made. Not happening.

I'll take a whistle into the hammock with me. Otherwise, I am faster than all three of my hiking mates. I'll take my chances.
no bear spray needed on the AT

Bucketfoot
04-10-2011, 13:18
The small cannister of pepper spray should work just fine if a bear tries to get in your tent. If you doubt the effectiveness of it just get downwind of it after someone has squrted or sprayed it. If a bear cones after you on the trail you won,t have time to get to it anyway. A dangerous encounter with Yogi or Booboo is highly unlikely anyways but its better to be prepared. A bottle of pepper spray only weighs a couple of ounces. A fact of life in the woods, bears are most troublesome where they aren't hunted , ie the Smokies, SNP and New Jersey.

Sierra Echo
04-10-2011, 13:25

I want to roll that bear over and tickle his tummy! I LOVE bears~!

Snowleopard
04-10-2011, 13:32
Carrying bear spray on the AT is not necessary. Attacks are possible, but very, very unlikely. However, attacks may increase as more black bears get accustomed to getting food from humans. My concern would be with the increasing number of bears getting hikers' food in Georgia and with bears getting fed by careless storage of garbage in NJ and NY. If you're worried about it carry a real bear spray, not pepper spray; these both require licenses in Mass.

There have been two fatal black bear attacks in Tennessee since 2000; one in the Smokies and one in Cherokee National Park. There has also been one in NY about 35 miles from the AT. By comparison there were two fatal Polar bear attacks in New York City in the 1980s (idiots climbing into zoo enclosures, 2 separate incidents). There were also a couple cases of attacks by captive black bears or of someone regularly feeding bears being attacked. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

There have been a number of predatory bear attacks in Quebec and Ontario. I know of a case in Massachusetts where a Mass Wildlife bear expert was tracking a bear when he realized that the bear had doubled back and was tracking him. This was more likely curiosity than predatory behavior, but was still scary. A predatory attack may not be a frontal attack but involve this kind of stalking behavior.

Mountain Wildman
04-10-2011, 14:04
It's a rare male over 45, anyway, that can do it on command risk free. Some risks are unacceptable. I'll take my chances with the bear.

Sadly, I know what you mean.
Eat more fiber!!;)

jerseydave
04-10-2011, 14:06
I want to roll that bear over and tickle his tummy! I LOVE bears~!

That action should follow closely behind the delivery of the famous line "Hey guys watch this!"

Let me get the video camera ready first........ OK ?

mateozzz
04-10-2011, 14:18
There was a documentary on TV about the study of brown bears in Alaska and these 2 guys were out checking snares for bears. They found one trap with a huge brown bear in it, tranquilized it, tagged it, and then moved on. As they were hiking away, their guide all of a sudden squatted and said "there is a bear watching us". Then there was a whole bunch of yelling, the camera dropped on the ground, and then a gunshot. The bear had charged them, bit the guide, then they shot it. That one clip scared the u-know-what out of me! Up there you never go in the wood without a weapon or bear spray, but luckily that isn't the case on the AT. I've been an advocate of carrying firecrackers - you could probably throw a couple at a bear and he would take off. Or an air horn would probably work, too. I think most of the problems are in the early spring when there isn't much food for the bears, but there are lots hikers carrying lots of food.

The Counselor
04-10-2011, 14:25
The need for more reading on the debate is indicated. Bear spray is not only for the hiker carrying it, it is also protection for other hikers nearby an encounter.

Beyond that, however, is something else. Something else that I think is important... It is protection for the bear(s).

A bear, be it the 'cute, little, mischievous' blacks of the AT or the more serious grizzlys of the Northern Rockies, are at risk anytime there is an encounter. A violent encounter, one that injures a hiker, most often ends with a euthanized bear and sometimes some dead cubs that couldn't make it on their own. Bear spray works quite well...it is very successful in ending encounters before they turn violent...before someone gets hurt. And that increases the odds of survival for the bear.

If one doesn't care about his/herself, that may or may not be OK by me. But not doing what one can to take care of others in the hiking party or preserving wildlife..? That's a no-no in my book. Our 'recreation' in bear habitat does not warrant a bear's preventable death. If one does not want to take simple precautions, one should stay out of bear territory. IMNSHO.

You can get shiny new canisters of Counter Assault for under thirty bucks if you watch for sales, e.g., the REI Spring Sale. I concede there's darn little risk on the AT but I don't concede that a dozen ounces worn on the belt for a cost of $30 is 'too much.'

FB

You concede the bear risk is low. What else should I carry despite the low risk? Snake bite kit? Pennicillin? A splint? Flares? There will be four fit men so the risk of human problems is equally low. Your thoughts may be worth considering but they are diminished by the preachy tone. JMNSHO.

Chubbs4U
04-10-2011, 14:28
dont have to be the fastest just cant be the slowest

SouthMark
04-10-2011, 16:05
In Eagles Nest Township, MN, residents have fed wild black bears for over 40 years. Dozens of bears have lost their fear of people over the years. No one was attacked.

In Pennsylvania, Dr. Gary Alt spent over a decade studying a 7-square-mile community called Hemlock Farms where 7,000 people coexisted with 21 bears. That many bears in 7 square miles is a higher bear density than exists in any national park or national forest. People regularly hand-fed the bears. No one was attacked.

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/myths-a-misconceptions.html

Sierra Echo
04-10-2011, 16:31
That action should follow closely behind the delivery of the famous line "Hey guys watch this!"

Let me get the video camera ready first........ OK ?

Sure thing!~

Tinker
04-10-2011, 16:41
There ya go!!
You can't outrun a bear but if you can outrun the other hikers, Se La vie.:eek:

C'est la vie. :)

BradMT
04-10-2011, 17:01

Counselor, I live, work and backpack in genuine "bear country." IE, we have a phenomenal supply of Black Bears AND Grizzlies. I always pack bear spray here in Grizzly Country. However, on the AT I'd absolutely not bother with it and never once did on the over 1,000 miles of the AT I walked from Georgia to Maine back in the day.

earlyriser26
04-10-2011, 17:04
Bears are cool people... Don't need spray for Grizzlies or Black Bears ... Just leave her cubs alone... Everyone's seen to many "big bad bear" movies..
Yes, bears are people. So go ahead and pet the cubs. :banana

BradMT
04-10-2011, 17:15

That might be the single most uninformed, naive thought I've read for a while...

TIDE-HSV
04-10-2011, 17:26
Forget the Mace, anyway. It doesn't work on bears. I spent a harrowing night in the old Pecks Corner shelter back in the late 70s with a bear trying repeatedly to gain entrance, while he bawled and attacked the fence. The two corner end posts were bent in 2-3" from his attempts. One hiker had Mace and sprayed him in the face from about 2' away. It didn't do a damned thing except make the creature angrier. I saw no deterrent effect at all...

SouthMark
04-10-2011, 17:50
That might be the single most uninformed, naive thought I've read for a while...

Not really, there is more truth to that than you know.

BradMT
04-10-2011, 17:58
That's the thing... in the Smokies where there are human-habituated bears, there are also shelters with bear fences.

In 1977 we were charged by a huge boar pig and fortunately had the fenced shelter to take refuge in.

Guess said that to say, if bears are a concern carry pepper spray in the GSMNF only and don't worry about the rest.

Aside, Mace IS NOT the same as pepper spray for bears...

BradMT
04-10-2011, 17:59
Not really, there is more truth to that than you know.

I promise I have more experience with bear up close than the person who said that or the person who defends it...

sheepdog
04-10-2011, 19:18
It's not the same stuff, it doesn't spray as far, it doesn't spray as widely, and it doesn't spray as long. Moreover, it's designed to be held up close to the face of the assailant...you should be on the ground and curled up by then if that assailant is a bear approaching at 30mph...

'Mace' might be a good idea for the trail but it isn't going to do the job on a bear.

FB
I'm a cop, I use pepper spray for a living. I know how far it sprays. The only black bears that bother me are the GSMP friendly bears. They walk right up to you. If he comes through the spray or is in full charge, he gets shot. If you're being attacked by a black bear you better be fighting.

SouthMark
04-10-2011, 19:24
I promise I have more experience with bear up close than the person who said that or the person who defends it...

Black bear folklore is immersed in the folklore of bears in general, which often gives the relatively benign black bear an unfairly ferocious image. Bears' teeth, claws, and size have led to their being portrayed in the role of modern dragons in tales of courage against danger. Bears are also demonized in stories set in shadowy forests where fear of the unknown is an element.
From www.bear.org black-bear myths and misconceptions

At age 49 I doubt that you have as much experience as the North American Bear Center's 40 years of black bear study but if you would supply us with your credentials and a link to your legitimate research data I would be more than happy to retract my statement.

sheepdog
04-10-2011, 19:47
Black bear folklore is immersed in the folklore of bears in general, which often gives the relatively benign black bear an unfairly ferocious image. Bears' teeth, claws, and size have led to their being portrayed in the role of modern dragons in tales of courage against danger. Bears are also demonized in stories set in shadowy forests where fear of the unknown is an element.
From www.bear.org (http://www.bear.org) black-bear myths and misconceptions

At age 49 I doubt that you have as much experience as the North American Bear Center's 40 years of black bear study but if you would supply us with your credentials and a link to your legitimate research data I would be more than happy to retract my statement.
He might if they are a bunch of pencil necked geeks in lab coats studying data. :D

Montana Mac
04-10-2011, 20:25

The concentration of the product in bear spray is much greater then the stuff in the self defense small canisters of pepper spray - the volume in the pepper spray is also greater.

Pepper spray is also used during a close encounter situation. People have actually used it like bug spray - spraying it on their clothing similar to bug spray. That is NOT how it is to be used.

vamelungeon
04-10-2011, 20:32
As a former police officer, I can tell you pepper spray doesn't always work. Then again, what does? I think more hunting pressure in problem areas and fines for people who feed bears, and maybe hikers carrying M-80's (exploding fireworks). Of course there's a fire risk with that...

sheepdog
04-10-2011, 20:32
The concentration of the product in bear spray is much greater then the stuff in the self defense small canisters of pepper spray - the volume in the pepper spray is also greater.

Pepper spray is also used during a close encounter situation. People have actually used it like bug spray - spraying it on their clothing similar to bug spray. That is NOT how it is to be used.
They would only have to do that once. :D

vamelungeon
04-10-2011, 20:37
They would only have to do that once. :D
AMEN! I'm NOT one of the people who is resistant to OC. I called it dragon p*ss after I got sprayed the first time. It felt like putting my face into a red hot pot belly stove!

sheepdog
04-10-2011, 20:38
I've seen quite a few people resistant to CS gas. I've never seen anyone beat the pepper spray.

sheepdog
04-10-2011, 20:46
could go with this, it's non-lethal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16n_skZDbI&feature=related

Montana Mac
04-10-2011, 20:55
There are more human vs black bear encounters then there are human vs grizzly bear encounters nationwide. This is largely due to the fact the the black bear population density is more concentrated near the human population density.

When a grizzly attacks it is normally a violent and often time fatal attack that draws media attention. In 2010 in the town I work in three people were attacked by a sow and her cubs. These bears had been around town for a while before the attacks took place. The attacks left one person dead and two injured. These people did nothing wrong! Read about it here

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_b7689ca0-9b0d-11df-8c1d-001cc4c002e0.html

Grizzly attacks are not that common in Yellowstone. To put it in prospective more people have died in Yellowstone over the years from Indian attacks, stage coach wrecks and suicide then from grizzly attacks.

If you want to read a book concerning grizzly attacks read Mark of the Grizzly - True Stories of Recent Bear Attacks and the Hard Lessons Learnedby Scott McMillion. It is published by Falcon.

I was in the Smokies a number of years ago and there was a sow black bear in a tree with two cubs. A tourist was trying to get his daughter close enough to the tree so he get get them all in the picture. I explained to the guy that it was a very foolish thing to do and he gave me some flip answer.

One of the main reasons they removed the fencing from the shelters in the Smokies was because people inside the shelter was feeding the bears through the fencing.

If you use common sense and follow a few basic rules the bears on the AT should not pose any serious problems.

Montana Mac
04-10-2011, 21:03
I've seen quite a few people resistant to CS gas. I've never seen anyone beat the pepper spray.

Over 22 years as a cop and I have seen drunks that the pepper spray did not work on and I also worked with a guy that it did not affect. We had to get sprayed with it to carry it - they sprayed him three times in the middle of his forehead and it never bothered him. Me on the other hand it had the effect it was supposed to have.

sheepdog
04-10-2011, 21:26
Over 22 years as a cop and I have seen drunks that the pepper spray did not work on and I also worked with a guy that it did not affect. We had to get sprayed with it to carry it - they sprayed him three times in the middle of his forehead and it never bothered him. Me on the other hand it had the effect it was supposed to have.
Always works on me too. :D

LoneRidgeRunner
04-10-2011, 21:37
> I am faster than all three of my hiking mates

The guy who runs, thinking he only has to out-run his mates, is the one who the bear will chase. The ones who are smart enough to NOT run, are the ones the bear will leave alone.

First rule of bear encounters: running is the STUPIDEST thing you can do.

Ditto..ok..here is more characters...

LoneRidgeRunner
04-10-2011, 21:58
As a former police officer, I can tell you pepper spray doesn't always work. Then again, what does? I think more hunting pressure in problem areas and fines for people who feed bears, and maybe hikers carrying M-80's (exploding fireworks). Of course there's a fire risk with that...

Do you REALLY think that IF you were actually attacked by a bear you will have time to light a firecracker and have it explode before the "big bad bear" charging at 30 + mph from 30 to 40 yards away gets to you? You would be lucky to get to your spray and squirt the beast..

BradMT
04-10-2011, 21:59
From www.bear.org (http://www.bear.org) black-bear myths and misconceptions

If you actually read anything I said on this thread you'd know my remarks are centered around the grizzly... I'm not overly concerned about Black Bears, other than keeping a clean camp.

However, back to the original remark:

Don't need spray for Grizzlies

Anyone that says/thinks such a think is a fool.

LoneRidgeRunner
04-10-2011, 22:11
Maybe we should all carry Industrial strength pepper spray, .44 Remington Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk handguns, hand grenades, bazookas, rocket launchers, a .338 Winchester Magnum rifle and back it all up with a tank....maybe a fighter jet or two to protect the tank... while we're at it maybe have a nuclear submarine set to really back us up with Tomahawk missiles.. Let's see..then we're gonna need a good pack mule or maybe a Llama to haul all or ordinance for us...

BradMT
04-11-2011, 08:08
Maybe we should all carry Industrial strength pepper spray, .44 Remington Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk handguns, hand grenades, bazookas, rocket launchers, a .338 Winchester Magnum rifle and back it all up with a tank....maybe a fighter jet or two to protect the tank... while we're at it maybe have a nuclear submarine set to really back us up with Tomahawk missiles.. Let's see..then we're gonna need a good pack mule or maybe a Llama to haul all or ordinance for us...

No, I'll just stick with bear spray for grizzlies, unless it's in the fall and I'm packing bloody meat on my back, then I'll have a handgun to backup the spray.

You sound more foolish every time you write something...

Fiddleback
04-11-2011, 11:00
Your thoughts may be worth considering but they are diminished by the preachy tone. JMNSHO.

I'm glad I caught your attention.:D

And, yes, wildlife conservation is one of my standard, soap box sermons. Another is outdoor safety.

There are many, some on this forum, who do not believe in taking simple precautions. They preach that there is no need for bear spray, no need to hang food, and give as evidence the fact that they survived the poor practices, e.g., sleeping with their food.

To be certain, 'they' have gotten away with it. But ultimately, poor practices lead to trouble even if the miscreant is long ago and far away. I'm a firm believer that one's actions impact people and wildlife even if one isn't there to see it happen. Last year's fatality at a campsite just outside Yellowstone was not because there was poorly cached food (there wasn't) but, most likely, because the bear had found food there before, had come back, and was looking for more. Those previous poor campers have a direct link to the tradgedy that followed...people and bears dead, orphaned bears forever locked up in a zoo.

We all have to judge what the risks are (which vary with species, location, season and other variables) and how to minimize them. It's not easy...

...but carrying bear spray is.

FB

Montana Mac
04-11-2011, 11:30

FB

FB

I work in Yellowstone every summer as a back country guide. The Park Service now says that a person should only drop to the ground and get into the fetal position and "play dead" if the bear makes contact with them. Trust me. if a griz made contact with me, I wouldn't have to "play dead" - I would probably just pass out :D

A grizzly will often make a "false charge". They will come at you and stop or veer away before contact. According to the Park Service if you drop to the ground before the bear attacks or approaches close it raises the bear's curiosity and that will bring them over to "investigate" what you are.

I have seen many grizzlies and fortunately I have had only three close encounters which all turned out well without incident.

LaVista
04-11-2011, 12:18

If you are buying a high quality "Police-quality" can of mace from a company like ALS Technology or Defense Tech, Fox labs, etc.. the potency bit is absolutely NOT the case. While OC's are measured in SHU's in the million, not all capsicum is created equal and one companies mixture might be weaker on paper, but using a higher quality OC resin can give more perceived effect on a person. Fox labs makes a 1.5% OC spray that boasts over 5.3 MILLION SHU, and is available in a one ounce pocket spray version. More potent mixtures are available if you know where to look.

A lot of the problems people have with using normal pepper sprays (in general, not just for hiking) is that people buy a $5 can of generic "MACE" from a flea market, or local gas station that has some under the counter. The content is minimal, and the ingredients are generic and of low quality, and have a short shelf life. A lot of these cans don't even contain any or much OC resin and rely on CS agents (like what causes a burning sensation in tear gas, it's much less effective).

The cannister I chose has a belt clip for pocket carry, and shoots a stream 18 feet. It's good for 10-12 one second shots and right around 2.2 million SHU. Unlike the bear cannister which creates a cloud, the stream has a much lower chance of contaminating myself with the spray, and it delivers a very concentrated amount of OC to your target. If you spray a bear-can the majority of what comes out the nozzle will be suspended in the air.

It really comes down to a few simple factors for me:

-You're more likely to be assaulted by a person, then you are a bear
-The pocket clip means I can carry it where I can quickly access the can
-Real "Bear spray" cans are too heavy, for an item that will in all likelyhood never be used.

sheepdog
04-11-2011, 12:59
If you are buying a high quality "Police-quality" can of mace from a company like ALS Technology or Defense Tech, Fox labs, etc.. the potency bit is absolutely NOT the case. While OC's are measured in SHU's in the million, not all capsicum is created equal and one companies mixture might be weaker on paper, but using a higher quality OC resin can give more perceived effect on a person. Fox labs makes a 1.5% OC spray that boasts over 5.3 MILLION SHU, and is available in a one ounce pocket spray version. More potent mixtures are available if you know where to look.

A lot of the problems people have with using normal pepper sprays (in general, not just for hiking) is that people buy a $5 can of generic "MACE" from a flea market, or local gas station that has some under the counter. The content is minimal, and the ingredients are generic and of low quality, and have a short shelf life. A lot of these cans don't even contain any or much OC resin and rely on CS agents (like what causes a burning sensation in tear gas, it's much less effective).

The cannister I chose has a belt clip for pocket carry, and shoots a stream 18 feet. It's good for 10-12 one second shots and right around 2.2 million SHU. Unlike the bear cannister which creates a cloud, the stream has a much lower chance of contaminating myself with the spray, and it delivers a very concentrated amount of OC to your target. If you spray a bear-can the majority of what comes out the nozzle will be suspended in the air.

It really comes down to a few simple factors for me:

-You're more likely to be assaulted by a person, then you are a bear
-The pocket clip means I can carry it where I can quickly access the can
-Real "Bear spray" cans are too heavy, for an item that will in all likelyhood never be used.
Very good post. That is the type of pepper spray that I use also. Great stuff for black bears, mean dogs and cantankerous people. Light, effective, and easy to carry.
Some of the difficulty of this thread is the mixing of Grizzly and Black bears in the same thread. Two different subjects all together.

sly dog
04-11-2011, 13:08
:cool: check out these signs from Alaska

Montana Mac
04-11-2011, 13:18

Very good post. That is the type of pepper spray that I use also. Great stuff for black bears, mean dogs and cantankerous people. Light, effective, and easy to carry.
Some of the difficulty of this thread is the mixing of Grizzly and Black bears in the same thread. Two different subjects all together.

I fully agree. Entirely two different animals and two different ways to act /repsond to an encounter.

vamelungeon
04-11-2011, 17:45
Do you REALLY think that IF you were actually attacked by a bear you will have time to light a firecracker and have it explode before the "big bad bear" charging at 30 + mph from 30 to 40 yards away gets to you? You would be lucky to get to your spray and squirt the beast..
No, and that isn't what I meant. You can't think of a time when they would be handy??? :rolleyes: